Buyer Beware - Dodgy Hawthorn memorabilia

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by evfenton78
He did do it twice. The second time was at Waverley in his final game in 1997

Maybe he did, but there's no way that he could have such a similar stance...for example check out the rib that's sticking out exactly the same in both photos. Definitely a fake. Well done GH.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
I'm not doing because I want to stick the boots in - last thing my club needs right now is more controversy. But there is no way I can condone Hawthorn ripping off its members like that.

Don't condone what the Hawks have done, but maybe you should have gone straight to the club first GOALden, and given them a chance to deal with it, before posting it on here and at HH...

if after that they refused to do anything, then by all means go public... just think that in the current situation for the club, they should have been given the opportunity to defend/explain themselves... this is certainly not an issue they need right now...

anyway, only my opinion.... but you're right, it does look dodgey....
let's hope it's not turned into an issue the club can't get out of... or does more damage than they can handle..

Originally posted by Dimi
Don't condone what the Hawks have done, but maybe you should have gone straight to the club first GOALden, and given them a chance to deal with it, before posting it on here and at HH...

if after that they refused to do anything, then by all means go public... just think that in the current situation for the club, they should have been given the opportunity to defend/explain themselves... this is certainly not an issue they need right now...

anyway, only my opinion.... but you're right, it does look dodgey....
let's hope it's not turned into an issue the club can't get out of... or does more damage than they can handle..

We've got people asking questions now, and I just rang the club but got an answering machine in the merchandise department.

The reason I posted them was to see whether other people agreed with me. Nearly all do, which goes a long way to confirming my suspicions.

The club has an obligation to its members.

GOALden, I agree totally with everything you've posted....

I've also asked a friend of mine whose involved with the Marketing sub-committee at the Hawks to take a look.. will see what he says...

let's hope the Hawks have a good answer....

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
"Hall of Fame Photographic Collage"

Before you run off to the club, perhaps you have answered your own question.

col·lage n.
An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.
A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original material.
The art of creating such compositions.
An assemblage of diverse elements: a collage of conflicting memories.

By these definitions, that is EXACTLY what that print is. Thus, description is the same as product offered... the word 'collage' re-inforces that.

Good Stuff Tyler.

Goes to show - always read the fine print.

Any marketing dept worth their salt will always have their arses well and truly covered.

Re: Re: Buyer Beware - Dodgy Hawthorn memorabilia

Originally posted by Tyler Durden
Before you run off to the club, perhaps you have answered your own question.

col·lage n.
An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.
A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original material.
The art of creating such compositions.
An assemblage of diverse elements: a collage of conflicting memories.

By these definitions, that is EXACTLY what that print is. Thus, description is the same as product offered... the word 'collage' re-inforces that.

mmmm..interesting. But in this example I would have thought collage is referring to the 3rd definition - an assemlage of diverse elements: a collage of conflicting memories.

The Langford picture is surrounded by about 10 pictures of other inductees into the Hall of Fame - it is not just that picture. Sorry I didn't make that clear but the picture would have been too big if I included the other surrounding pictures.

Even if it is a collage under the 1st definition you raise doesn't this sentence conflict with that?

"This fabulous piece captures all the nominees plus THE moment - a defining moment in the club's history."

On reading that I would assume the picture is capturing the moment of Chris Langford displaying his jumper to the crowd after the merger match.

It does indeed highlight "THE MOMENT", but by definition, a collage can be on any background, and contain any other elements.

There is NO question that this has been Photoshopped, but by definition, it is 100% legal, as it is described as a collage in the title of the item.

It may have been better described as a:

mon·tage n.
A single pictorial composition made by juxtaposing or superimposing many pictures or designs.
The art or process of making such a composition.

to reflect and acknowledge it as being a 'doctored' piece of artwork.

GOALden, that friend of mine suggested that this type of memorablilia is done outside of the club (these companies do this type of thing for all clubs), and that the club may not have been aware that it was a "fake" as such.... suggested you go directly to the guy who looks after all the merchandise/memorabilia, Brett, as someone mentioned at HH.....

There is NO question that this has been Photoshopped, but by definition, it is 100% legal, as it is described as a collage in the title of the item.
Not necessarily 100% legal, the TPA and Goods and Services Act legislate against misleading advertising, even if the advertising, when strictly defined, is factually correct. In other words it only has to be misleading, not wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Jim Boy
Not necessarily 100% legal, the TPA and Goods and Services Act legislate against misleading advertising, even if the advertising, when strictly defined, is factually correct. In other words it only has to be misleading, not wrong.

Section 53 specifically prohibits false claims about:
• the standard, quality, value, grade, composition, style, model or history of goods or services (s. 53(a), s. 53(aa));

Section 55A prohibits a corporation from engaging in conduct which is liable to mislead the public about the nature, the characteristics, the suitability for their purpose or the quantity of any services

They have disclosed it as a COLLAGE, and thus have identified CLEARLY what the product is. Therefore, it CANNOT be deemed as misleading as the title reflects how the object was created.

What IS it with this footy memorabilia racket?

Anyone who is prepared to pay $395 for a photo (doctored or otherwise) of some "defining moment" (puke puke) in a club's history has obviously got more money than they need.

Good luck to Hawthorn for trying to milk a few extra dollars out of the plebs. Isn't that what good Aussie capitalism is all about? It's about selling the public a lemon. Always has been. Always will be.

How sad ... that our culture is so debased that there is actually a market for such rubbish.

Gee isn't it so ironic that some on here are very quick to pass on the information to 'the footy show' so that Eddie and Co. may well bring it up on the show and then I bet the same persons will then be screaming from the top of the Rialto -

"Oh conflict of interest Eddie, conflict of interest."

They have disclosed it as a COLLAGE, and thus have identified CLEARLY what the product is. Therefore, it CANNOT be deemed as misleading as the title reflects how the object was created.

The exact definition of the word collage is irrelevant - it is being promoted as a collage of Hall of Fame moments. The focus of the 'collage' description is therefore immediately implied as being the collection of photos rather than the combination of many into one. Gone a million under s52 'likely to mislead'.

AND...just for those who are curious...

http://shop.afl.com.au/hawks/produc...log&category_name=Memorabilia&product_id=2563

That's the Hawks' online shop entry for the collage. That central picture sure doesn't look like Chris Langford and a jumper any more...
detail_2563a.jpg

Originally posted by Mr Eagle
The exact definition of the word collage is irrelevant - it is being promoted as a collage of Hall of Fame moments. The focus of the 'collage' description is therefore immediately implied as being the collection of photos rather than the combination of many into one. Gone a million under s52 'likely to mislead'.

AND...just for those who are curious...

http://shop.afl.com.au/hawks/produc...log&category_name=Memorabilia&product_id=2563
In fact S53 is looking pretty good as well, not because of the term collage, but of the description of capturing"THE moment - Chris Langord taking his guernsey off after the "Merger" game versus Melbourne". Which it clearly isn't.

Originally posted by Jim Boy
In fact S53 is looking pretty good as well, not because of the term collage, but of the description of capturing"THE moment - Chris Langord taking his guernsey off after the "Merger" game versus Melbourne". Which it clearly isn't.

Yeah, that description is even worse than the one in the catalogue.

To be fair Mr.Eagle - none of the surrounding pictures from that AFL Shop link are the same as the actual print shown in the Hawks Nest catalogue. I suspect they have just mocked up a print with any pictures - not the actual ones appearing in the final product.

have you had any response from the club, GOALden?

No, they didn't return my call which is a bit disappointing.

However, from a reliable source I just got this:

The club is the originator of the photo - they wanted to put it in, but they didn't want to use the wide TV shot because of lower quality.

Apparently Peter Haby (Hawks Forever) was most unhappy with the doctored photo, and basically pointed out the same things we did (wrong side of the ground, whatever).

As far as I can tell from what I was told, the club is willing to go with it.

So there you have it. The photo is a fake. To say I'm disappointed in the club would be an understatement.

Time for a letter to the President me thinks - charging $395 for that is simply not on.

Subaru were Hawthorn's short sponsor in 1997. In 1996 it was MBF. The logo on the Langford's shorts is not MBF but Subaru. The Merger Match was 1996.

hey GOALden, did you end up writing this letter? if so, did you get a response?

Yeah, sent the letter to Ian on Thursday, no reply as yet.

Spoke to a few people about it on the weekend, few different stories doing the rounds. One is the club wanted to blur it more but didn't, another is they thought it looked so obviously like a fake people wouldn't be upset!

When the Prez gets back to me I'll let you know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buyer Beware - Dodgy Hawthorn memorabilia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back