Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t he talked up as a potential first round pick in his draft year?

What did he do in junior footy that made him look promising? I never saw any part of his game that seemed great or a weapon.

Good midfielder at the right time. He looked good in 2021 but faded in 2022. Poulter always seemed old for his age and the development never really progressed. He should find a home in the AFL and may well go on to achieve bigger and better things. But with our midfield brigade, he's not needed at the time. All the best to him.

Good midfielder at the right time. He looked good in 2021 but faded in 2022. Poulter always seemed old for his age and the development never really progressed. He should find a home in the AFL and may well go on to achieve bigger and better things. But with our midfield brigade, he's not needed at the time. All the best to him.

I made the same observations about deficiencies in his game in 2021. They didn’t just miraculously appear in 2022. Only difference was senior team stability meant we didn’t have to select him in 2022. People just got caught up in the romance of the new recruit.

Last edited:
He didn't mention Poulter by name but he said that he wanted 22 players playing the Collingwood way and he didn't have that. Poulter was dropped after playing 1 game. Whatever he did or didn't do seems to have been damning
Think you’re drawing a long bow here. Poulter wasn’t good enough over the whole year I doubt that game played much significance.

He didn't mention Poulter by name but he said that he wanted 22 players playing the Collingwood way and he didn't have that. Poulter was dropped after playing 1 game. Whatever he did or didn't do seems to have been damning
Wasnt the only one that had a problem that game. And wasn't the only one dropped.
There was also a fair few players to come back into the team,, so just think he was a casuality. And couldn't quite do enough after that to get back into the team, and we did fairly well with injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could very well be one of those kids who doesn't quite develop quickly enough after being drafted and goes back for a couple of years, finds that extra gear he hasn't been able to find with us to dominate at state league level and then comes back a much more well-rounded player for a second crack at AFL footy.

You think living with crisp would allow him giving anything but 100% He put everything into training sessions from what I saw. Maybe he was just unlucky with list spots wise. It happens.

At the moment, he's a receiver who doesn't use the ball very well. Even without many injuries, we still used 36 players this year. With limited list spots, clubs just can't afford to carry blokes who are a long way away, which Poulter is, unless their ceiling is very high. There will be increasing oportunities for mature agers due to the lower list numbers menaing most of the list has to be ready to play. If he develops his game, he might get another shot down the track.

At the moment, he's a receiver who doesn't use the ball very well. Even without many injuries, we still used 36 players this year. With limited list spots, clubs just can't afford to carry blokes who are a long way away, which Poulter is, unless their ceiling is very high. There will be increasing oportunities for mature agers due to the lower list numbers menaing most of the list has to be ready to play. If he develops his game, he might get another shot down the track.
Great runner and hard worker, but his disposal when he has the ball was something that worried me this year. Just seemed to hack it. Doesn't quite have the composure. Definitely has some way to go developing in terms of those moments. I'm not sure quite he was a wingman. I would have tried him in another position. Half back? Some time in the middle?

Great runner and hard worker, but his disposal when he has the ball was something that worried me this year. Just seemed to hack it. Doesn't quite have the composure. Definitely has some way to go developing in terms of those moments. I'm not sure quite he was a wingman. I would have tried him in another position. Half back? Some time in the middle?
He's either got to clean up his composure and decision making or become more contested. Seems likeable and may be a shot down the track if he sticks with it and develops his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back