Roast Can anybody explain what benefits Danyle Pearce brings to the team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently was offered a payout and told if he stayed would spend the season at Peel. He chose to stay .
Probably thought he gets paid out enough by supporters, doesn’t need it from the club too. Good on him. Premiership hungry no doubt. Peel B2B2B yeooowwwwww!

Good buddying but he was not working hard at training or demonstrating the right attitude to a whole bunch of players yesterday - maybe he was just having an off day? It did surprise me because I've read other comments like yours on here about him being great at training. I tend to be frustrated with him not lowering his eyes (and completely agree others deserve similar criticism) but at Wednesday's training I was far more disappointed that he presented as a poor role model for our youngsters. Lets hope it was just a one off.

I read your training comment and did think it differed to the "average" report on DP. The times I have been down, he seems to be doing his bit.
In short;

Cons: he’s old, he’s shit
Pros: he’s a good bloke, he trains hard, he’s rarely injured, will free up some salary cap when he retires.

Pros outweigh the cons. All hail DANYLE PEARCE! Similar attributes to my buddy, although DP has about 3 extra pros than HB. :p
I doubt he frees up salary cap. IMO, one of the reasons he got the extra year was to reduce the amount per year. IMO, I doubt he's on above average wages for this season.

He is place holding for next years picks.

DP retire
Ballas retire
MJ retire
Sheridan moved on
Spurr retire

5 picks at least for next year. As we don't have any pick in round 2,3,4 we will only drop a few next year.

Last edited:
I doubt he frees up salary cap. IMO, one of the reasons he got the extra year was to reduce the amount per year. IMO, I doubt he's on above average wages for this season.
Given our list regeneration (22 new players in two years - mostly draft/rookie picks) I doubt our salary cap distribution reflects the typical “average” distribution of other clubs.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on between 350-400K this year (AFL ave is 370k). So let’s assume he retires and is replaced with our 5th round draft pick (~100k per year). That to me frees up significant cap.

Add in possible retirements/delistings of Ballas, MJ, Sutty, Sheridan and whoever else you want to put in there - means we’ll have even more cap space to play with (added to our significant cap space this year). I can only presume we are banking 5% over the past two years. Shame there’s probably no FA or trade worth $1MM + that would come to WA (is McGovern worth it for us, don’t think so). Could we somehow pull off a Tom Lynch manoeuvre? Doubtful, but looking forward to pushing his price up regardless!

He is place holding for next years picks.

DP retire
Ballas retire
MJ retire
Sheridan moved on
Spurr retire

5 picks at least for next year. As we don't have any pick in round 2,3,4 we will only drop a few next year.
You could add Sutcliffe as a near certainty to be offloaded. With Apeness in the gun too if he doesn't have a good run with injuries. That said I think there is also a good chance three of Giro, Banfiled, Nyhuis and Duman could all be promoted to the main list. Nyhuis has to be delisted or upgraded to the main ist at the end of the year. Mundy and Sandy chances to retire too, but at the moment both look keen to continue playing from how I've seen them train this preseason. Both fitter than a year ago. My tip is 7 players off and three rookie upgrades, leaving us with 5 draftpicks if we choose to use all positions on the main list. (we have one less position on the main list this year and an extra rookie instead).

Last edited:
In 2010 we had Dodd, Murphy, Schammer, Thornton and Solomon with a knee so ****ed he retired before the season started. We also had Hayden, Headland, Grover, Tarrant (via Collingwood) and McPhee who would retire along the way. That’s without mentioning many late picks and players like Hinkley and O’Brien that simply wouldn’t make it despite being quite young at the time and also a few losses to other clubs like Palmer and Roberton.

What I’m basically trying to say is that we’ve got probably 2-3 years more of cutting to do regardless of whether the results improve. The players above all went in the 2010-12 period. The turnover will be quite similar and doesn’t have to be done all at once. A few will prove us wrong along the way too.

Knows he wasn't going to have much game time but still wanted to try his best anyways. Great example to our young players.
I don’t think anyone’s going to question his loyalty to the club and his mentoring of younger players, it’s just that he has little to offer as a player these days. While I understand we all get frustrated with his performance on the field, he deserves respect for the more intangible things he brings to the club.

I don’t think anyone’s going to question his loyalty to the club and his mentoring of younger players, it’s just that he has little to offer as a player these days. While I understand we all get frustrated with his performance on the field, he deserves respect for the more intangible things he brings to the club.

That said, I think we have reached tipping point. He has been loyal and dedicated but he is not part of any future success. He is also not really bolstering the lineup in the mean time.

Once people are of no use to you, you have to throw them out like garbage. If you see them on the bus you just stare out the window and pretend you don't know them.

That said, I think we have reached tipping point. He has been loyal and dedicated but he is not part of any future success. He is also not really bolstering the lineup in the mean time.

Once people are of no use to you, you have to throw them out like garbage. If you see them on the bus you just stare out the window and pretend you don't know them.

Now I know who you are, I was sitting next to you on the 998 today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now I know who you are, I was sitting next to you on the 998 today
You were talking about ignoring some embarrassing guy on a bus and ..... never mind

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back