Can anyone see Rioli or Cotchin beating Palmer for the rising star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh look at the Hawk fans having a little giggle at the top of the page! If only they could read!

Anyway, interesting information here on the Coaches Association player of the year votes. I mean I would trust these, over any stat or over any BF posters opinion. I am missing the votes for round 1,2,3,8,15,16 and 18.

So these below are the total votes these players have accumulated in the rounds I could find.

Palmer: 16
Rioli: 10
Ibbotson: 5
Cotchin: 0

*edit, both Palmer and Rioli polled in 4 games, Ibbotson 2.

Well, based on that I might change my mind and say Palmer will win. Oh, wait a minute..........I have said that about 10 times now.

Each coach votes 5,4,3,2,1 for the best players on the ground, including both teams.

So if a player is clearly best on ground he will get 5 votes from each coach, earning 10.

This is the Footy Classified coaches award, not the Rising Star.

Edit - Damn, you got in before me.:p

Each coach votes 5,4,3,2,1 for the best players on the ground, including both teams.

So if a player is clearly best on ground he will get 5 votes from each coach, earning 10.

i believe you are thinking of another award there - forgotten the name - coaches association player of the year or something

for rising star i believe selected media and football related personalities vote 5,4,3,2,1 on their opinion on the best player out of the rising star nominated players for the entire season, not game by game.

the votes and then totalled and the winner is obviously who has the greatest total

Edit - damn - you both got in before me

Palmer has been the most consistent of the first year players and has only missed 2 games I think.
He is continually in the top players for Freo and is at the moment probably their best midfielders.
Rioli started like a house on fire and dropped of mid-season, only now getting more influential.
Cotchin would be close to snaring it if he didn't miss half the season.

Yet has probably been a far better and more consistent player than Palmer since then. Palmer has gone cold whilst Rioli has just kept contributing all year. Mind you Cyril also had a quiet patch and has only started getting that early season zip back in the last 3-4 weeks.

I thought Palmer early on to win after his first 5 or 6 games, but since then he hasn't done much. (Or at least from what I have seen and heard). He probably should and will still win but I don't think he has nailed the door shut yet.

He was BOG only 10 or so days ago, but yeah heas gone cold. :rolleyes:

Rioli is paying $10....jump on if you think he'll win!
Jump on at 51-1 thanx:thumbsu:there are pros and cons for the top 3.IMO' Riolis are that 1.He has plyed every game this year.
2.He plys as a small fwd which means he wont be judged on how many possie,but what he does with them.
3.He is playn in a top 3 team(possible GF bound),where its harder to hold your spot compared to playn for a team out side the 8.
4.And the thing that will go along way to ice it for him ,is that he is nomd for both MARK AND GOAL of the year.............
ALL JUST M.O:D

Almost no doubt that Palmer will win it. If he did'nt though, you would have to say that Rioli is the next best bet. Cotchin has been fantastic but Rioli has played every game so far this season which would give him more chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Palmer for mine.
His disposal is not perfect but has great ball finding ability and a solid midfielder. Perhaps has to work on acountability also but has still had a great first year.

Cotchin's been great but not playing untill mid-season will hurt him.

Cotchen Will not finish top 10. Same Problem that Mark Murphy had in 2006, he's spent too long injured. So will not Poll high. We do understand he's only played 11 games right?

Players ahead of T.Cotchen

Reimers
Rioli
Ibbotson
Palmer
Grigg
Ebett
Morton
Kreuzer
Wanaemirri ?? SPL?
Tippett
Mckinley

agreed. i think that trent will be a very good player in the future and has showed class with most of his possies, but on this years performance alone i don't think he should even poll a vote

Thought Cotchin was very poor against the Cats, disposal was quite average.

Normally pretty good, but had a shocker.

Rioli and Palmer are the only two that can get it IMO.

Palmer ahead by a long way, but Rioli isnt without a chance.

Would Palmer be the only first year player getting tagged?

He's already our best midfielder and gets the most attention from the opposition stopped yet still puts up great numbers.

Cotchin and Kruezer will end up being better players, but Palmer has been comfortably the best performed player this year.

As for Rioli, great tackler and good for the defensive pressure in the forward line, but it's hard to make a case for a bloke playing in a forward line surrounded by Buddy, Roughead and Williams against a guy in the midfield with McMannus, Carr and Peake.

It's easy to look good when you're surrounded by champions. Just ask Braun, Fletcher, Embley and co.

A lot of ignorant people thinks he lacks class - take at look at the Derby. Palmer wins the ball in the middle, evades two tacklers, hands it off to Gibbo who puts it down Pav's throat for a goalski.

People actually need to watch him play :eek:

[YOUTUBE]hRqhgJYEuVA[/YOUTUBE]

Would Palmer be the only first year player getting tagged?

He's already our best midfielder and gets the most attention from the opposition stopped yet still puts up great numbers.

Cotchin and Kruezer will end up being better players, but Palmer has been comfortably the best performed player this year.

As for Rioli, great tackler and good for the defensive pressure in the forward line, but it's hard to make a case for a bloke playing in a forward line surrounded by Buddy, Roughead and Williams against a guy in the midfield with McMannus, Carr and Peake.

It's easy to look good when you're surrounded by champions. Just ask Braun, Fletcher, Embley and co.

oh you have to be joking!

If anything, it would be easier to look good in an average team then in a good one.

Rioli playing alongside those you name means if he isnt 100% he will not stand out.

Palmer could be an absolute dud, but due to the lack of quality in his team, he looks all class.

Switch the players, Palmer to Hawthorn, Rioli to Freo, and i garuntee you Rioli would be winning Freo matches while Palmer would be struggling to maintain a spot.

What a crock! What a cop out!
All you are really saying is "I don't know. I haven't really watched him play much."

Rioli has been sensational this season. Way better than many people have given him credit for. Not only has he held his spot (in a top 3 team) but he has become an integral part of the side.

Hawthorn's loaded forward line and their established midfield has actually worked against Rioli's tilt at the Rising Star. On many occasions, his perfectly-timed leads and dangerous positioning has gone unrewarded. It has taken the Hawthorn players a while to recognise Rioli's quality, to show faith in the kid and give him the damn ball.

This has been the biggest difference between Cyril Rioli's season and Rhys Palmers. Palmer has run hard to receive and has been rewarded all season long. It's has been an idictment on Freo's lack of run in the midfield and also illustrates how many Freo players are quick to choose the safe option (20 metres sideways) than look further afield and use the ball more effectively.

And people reckon Rioli has had it easier than Palmer because he plays for a top side! The opposite is true!

I actually think that despite getting less possessions, Rioli has had a greater influence on the games he has played. Unlike Palmer and Cotchin, there has been no "Gee, this kid is going to be star!" when Rioli gets the ball. When Rioli gets the ball, he IS a fricken star! Every team has their footballer who when they get the ball, you relax somewhat, you feel good because you know something good is going eventuate from their possession. Luke Hodge is that player for Hawthorn, closely followed by Cyril Rioli in 2nd place!

People haven't realised it yet, which is something of a shame. Everyone who has been to a game and seen him light it up knows what I'm talking about.

People talk about the flat spot that Rioli endured. He was still playing some good quality football. Don't forget that Palmer also hit a bit of a flat spot and played some awful games, kicking the ball out on the full, missing goals, or not even making the distance from 35m-40m out.

Palmer is a dynamo. Cotchin is silk. Rioli is a firecracker. Any of them would be a worthy winner.

I would think Cotchin wuld be lucky to be top 5, didnt get his first game only in round 10 or something and has had a few lean weeks recently. My top 5 would be

1. Palmer (Easily)
2.Rioli
3.Kreuzer
4.Morton
5.Ebert/Cotchin

A lot of ignorant people thinks he lacks class - take at look at the Derby. Palmer wins the ball in the middle, evades two tacklers, hands it off to Gibbo who puts it down Pav's throat for a goalski.

People actually need to watch him play :eek:

I really get sick of the argument that "you need to watch him play" or "need to watch properly" whenever someone disagrees with what is said, like it is the only possible valid reason for disagreeing with a point of view. :rolleyes:

I watch plenty of fremantle, have seen palmer at least 8-10 times this season (probably more) and think he is a poor kick, both when fresh and when tired. I saw this play above and it is great play. I have never said he is a completely bad player but yes I think he is a poor kick.

That doesn't mean he NEVER kicks it accurately, just misses the target far more than an AFL player should. It also doesn't mean he shouldn't win the Rising Star, but his poor kicking should be taken into consideration when weighing it up with his excellent ball getting ability.

oh you have to be joking!

If anything, it would be easier to look good in an average team then in a good one.

Rioli playing alongside those you name means if he isnt 100% he will not stand out.

Palmer could be an absolute dud, but due to the lack of quality in his team, he looks all class.

Switch the players, Palmer to Hawthorn, Rioli to Freo, and i garuntee you Rioli would be winning Freo matches while Palmer would be struggling to maintain a spot.

ohh ****en blow it out your arse!

then get your hand off it!

then ... GTFO!

Some statistics (courtesy of FootyWire):

Palmer averages 22.9 disposals per game (16 played); Rioli averages 13.4 disposals per game (18 played); Cotchin 16.3 disposals per game (11 played).

Palmer is ranked:

* second amongst rising stars for total inside 50s;
* first amongst rising stars for total kicks;
* first amongst rising stars for total disposals;
* second amongst rising stars for inside 50s per game;
* fifth amongst rising stars for handballs per game;
* seventh amongst rising stars in total goal assists;
* first amongst rising stars in total handballs;
* third amongst rising stars for total marks;
* first amongst rising stars in kicks per game; and
* second amongst rising stars in disposals per game.

Rioli is ranked:

* first amongst rising stars for total inside 50s;
* second amongst rising stars in total goals contributed;
* eighth amongst rising stars in total handballs;
* ninth amongst rising stars for total marks;
* second amongst rising stars for total tackles;
* eighth amongst rising stars in goal assists per game;
* tenth amongst rising stars in tackles per game;
* first amongst rising stars in total goal assists;
* fifth amongst rising stars in total kicks;
* fourth amongst rising stars in total disposals;
* fifth amongst rising stars in total goals;
* third amongst rising stars in inside 50s per game;
* tenth amongst rising stars in goals contributed per game; and
* 20th in the league in total goal assists.

Trent Cotchin is ranked:

* fourth amongst rising stars in total goal assists;
* tenth amongst rising stars in marks per game; and
* seventh amongst rising stars in goal assists per game.

Palmer comfortably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone see Rioli or Cotchin beating Palmer for the rising star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back