Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

The usual bullsh¡t, probably.

Port only had 8 All-Australians, 8 1st Round Picks, 2 father-sons, an AFLCA MVP and a Brownlow Medallist out there last night.

Making skyscrapers out of popsicle sticks is Our Ken.
If you’re gonna blame him for the losses you gotta credit him for the wins. Surely you’ve been praising him all day today.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/30/ranking-the-young-cores-of-all-18-afl-clubs-in-2024/

Not sure about the depth, but the list isn’t bad & the top 6 (Jhf, Rozee, Butters, Houston, Allir, Rioli/ gorgeous georgi) are very good

Very open year, not super confident but if ports hit form at the right time of year we could do some damage in finals

Port changed rucks & restructured their backline this season rather dramatically
Was always going to take time to get the mix right & new players settled
Eg Sweet, Bzt, Rat

What I have noticed is this season our older players like Wines & Boak are hitting some good form
Top 6 are very good. The problem is the list falls away fairly dramatically in the back half.

That said the field is wide open this year and I don’t see why you can’t make a run for it, alongside probably 5 or 6 others.

If you’re gonna blame him for the losses you gotta credit him for the wins. Surely you’ve been praising him all day today.

Why? Because he managed to have the team performing to something approaching its ceiling for four quarters for the first time in 3-4 years?

What was different about his coaching last night?

Why? Because he managed to have the team performing to something approaching its ceiling for four quarters for the first time in 3-4 years?

What was different about his coaching last night?
Because he’s got a team most experts had sitting around 6-10 this year on the ladder second on the ladder after smashing the premiership favourites by 100 points.

Performance has a lot of factors but he’s got you playing good football.

Because he’s got a team most experts had sitting around 6-10 this year on the ladder second on the ladder after smashing the premiership favourites by 100 points.

Performance has a lot of factors but he’s got you playing good football.

“Most experts”’ opinions are formed as a chicken-egg response to performance and form.

Not sure how a team that finished with 17 wins last year, and has spunked its draft hand and salary cap topping up to improve further, was ever finishing ‘10th’ under even circumstances.

But I can understand why Port’s fortunes are routinely downgraded given how uncharacteristically poorly and inconsistent the team has performed under Super Ken prior to the events of last night.

The usual bullsh¡t, probably.

Port only had 8 All-Australians, 8 1st Round Picks, 2 father-sons, an AFLCA MVP and a Brownlow Medallist out there last night.

Making skyscrapers out of popsicle sticks is Our Ken.

Why do port fans love talking about how many former AA, half of those players are well past their peak.

What relevance does it have to 2024?

Why do port fans love talking about how many former AA, half of those players are well past their peak.

What relevance does it have to 2024?

Probably the same reason Beveridge gets pilloried for not getting the most out of Macrae, Daniel, Dunkley and The Package.™

Still, being able to deploy an All-Australian CHF as third tall and a Brownlow Medallist as fourth banana in the engine room seemed a luxury last night, no?

Challenge: How much egg can we get on the faces of powerrrrrrrrrrrr JimmyBC Schulzenfest ibd77 sobrave for the collective unappreciative attitudes towards the great man. Ken deserves so much better than Port fans.
There is literally nothing Ken can do in the home and away season that puts egg on anyone's face. He should be sacked because he cannot win knockout finals, even home finals which we've gone into as warm favourites. Last night wasn't a final. Get back to us in September.

There is literally nothing Ken can do in the home and away season that puts egg on anyone's face. He should be sacked because he cannot win knockout finals, even home finals which we've gone into as warm favourites. Last night wasn't a final. Get back to us in September.
Port are the side I want to see go all the way.

Would be a great reward for all of the work Hinkley has put in, with the adversity of tens of thousands of members hating him the entire time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 6 are very good. The problem is the list falls away fairly dramatically in the back half.

That said the field is wide open this year and I don’t see why you can’t make a run for it, alongside probably 5 or 6 others.
Every AFL list falls away rather dramatically in the back half.
Eg Frampton has a gf medal

Very open year, hitting form at the right time of year for once, just hope we don’t face brissy

Would be a great reward for all of the work Hinkley has put in, with the adversity of tens of thousands of members hating him the entire time.
Not all port members hate Hinkley
I have always thought he was a good coach when he has quality assistants
Eg Carr, Voss , Schofield, Walsh (rip)

And he is a good development coach who took us from basket case to a contender. The question is can he take us the next step? A lot feel he should have flicked after the 2021 pf debacle

Yeah the bloke on 800k a year for a job he describes as "not that important". He's the real victim here.

Not the members forking out their hard earned for ove a decade only to be let down every September.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely noticed a change in his demeanour & coaching style in the last 6 weeks.
He is coaching for his career now & seems to be feeling the heat. He has been more ruthless, cut a few of his non performing pets, dragged star players & chastised them for poor efforts, he is coaching like a man on fire now
And I don’t mind it

Will Port supporters still hate Ken if they win the flag?
No
They will feel vindicated that the pressure piled on him was the reason for success
Should that eventuate

Something similar went on with Choco and Scott
It’s almost like port need something like this, some internal division, them against us type mentality to achieve ultimate success

Good coaching. The list still isn’t that great. Certainly not in the best 3-4 in the comp.

I think our list is comparable to most contending teams. When in form, they can all do a job adequately and we have some X factor players in the team that can turn the game. Its all about finding form and have stability in your playing building up to September. Also not being cooked by having are hard season or doing extra loading may help also.

As long as he retires, then we are all good then.
Haha. Winning a premiership might be the only way to get rid of him.

Would be great for both parties. Ports could celebrate then promote Carr & Hinks could ride off into the sunset a hero & literally name his price/ terms for his next coaching gig

Would be a good development coach for tassie or something similar

I would suggest this would be the most brutal prelim defeat yet but I imagine nothing's topping the Bulldogs one. This will be resignation because the home and away form line has ended any hope of the fans being listened too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back