Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken is currently in his 12 season at coaching in the VFL/AFL without making a GF

Where as Bill Stephen completed 13 seasons without accomplishing the the same.

So Ken will not claim this unless he's still at Port Adelaide in 2026.
What about games coached?

Ken is currently in his 12 season at coaching in the VFL/AFL without making a GF

Bill Stephen: 256 H&A games coached without making a GF.

Ken Hinkley: 259 H&A games coached without making a GF.

Last edited:

Ken Hinkley holds the record for most games coached without reaching a grand final.

There is more games per season than previously so you can play semantics all you like between 12/13 seasons coached.

The facts remain, he’s coached the most games in history without ever making a gf.

And he never will.

Ken Hinkley holds the record for most games coached without reaching a grand final.

There is more games per season than previously so you can play semantics all you like between 12/13 seasons coached.

The facts remain, he’s coached the most games in history without ever making a gf.

And he never will.
Two reasons for that

• The 3 team dominance thats existed for 12 years with Hawks/Richmond/Geelong at the time your list was at its strongest
  • He also coached a team that never truly bottomed out. Its why he has been around for 12 years.

Reality will tell you at the time Port had its best list, it was running into a time when the competition was at its strongest. In the 2017-2024 era, the teams just not had the list to do it

You can talk Ken all you want and reaching Grand Finals, but is any coach in history taking the below forward line to a Grand Final...

HF: Evans, Ratagulea, Rioli
FF: McEntee, Dixon, Georgiades

?

Here’s a question, how many players today would get a game for Geelong ? Does a Port fan want to combine Geelong and Port to tell me how many Port players would get a game at Geelong ?
No chance a Port fan would do this so ill do it

FB: Bergman Henry Kolodjashnji
HB: Gutrhie, Blicavs, Humprhies
C: Holmes, Atkins, Dempsey
HF: Stengle, Cameron, JHF
FF: Miers, Neale, Henry
R: Sweet Butters Dangerfield
I/C : Rozee Mannagh Duncan Wines

Id have 6. You could make arguments for Alir over Kolodjashnji or Georgiades over Henry and thats it. Id take Kolo though for a more consistent player and Henry as a guy who does more up the ground so a better fit for a side. Ports spine is very mediocre and coupled with the fact you then have disappearing acts from Rozee, Butters and Drew and its pretty clear why they get toweled up in games like yesterday

Id have 6. You could make arguments for Alir over Kolodjashnji or Georgiades over Henry and thats it. Id take Kolo though for a more consistent player and Henry as a guy who does more up the ground so a better fit for a side. Ports spine is very mediocre and coupled with the fact you then have disappearing acts from Rozee, Butters and Drew and its pretty clear why they get toweled up in games like yesterday
Hahahahaha

You could 'make arguments' for Aliir over Kolodjashnij or Georgiades over Henry? In the same way you could 'make arguments' for Tyson Stengle over Jed McEntee, sure. Not even an honourable mention for Willie Rioli over Shaun Mannagh either.

Just gonna chuck you on the ignore list now rather than wasting any more time on you. I'd get more sense painting 'Ken Hinkley shouldn't be sacked' on a brick wall and arguing with that.

Goodfellas GIF

If Port lose again next week vs Dogs or Hawks, I dont want to be near the Port Adeaide or Alberton or rosewater area lol.

It's crazy isn't it?

Ken has a decent W/L ratio but when it comes to finals they're just awful. Either one of the WB or Hawks will slap them silly imo. You know both of them will throw everything at it.

Hahahahaha

You could 'make arguments' for Aliir over Kolodjashnij or Georgiades over Henry? In the same way you could 'make arguments' for Tyson Stengle over Jed McEntee, sure. Not even an honourable mention for Willie Rioli over Shaun Mannagh either.

Just gonna chuck you on the ignore list now rather than wasting any more time on you. I'd get more sense painting 'Ken Hinkley shouldn't be sacked' on a brick wall and arguing with that.
Nah put it to a poll and see who people would rather. Your blinkers are on you will find

Nah put it to a poll and see who people would rather. Your blinkers are on you will find
If I were to make polls on Mitch Georgiades (2.3 goals per game this year) versus Ollie Henry (1.5 goals per game this year), Aliir Aliir (All-Australian CHB) versus Jake Kolodjashnij (undersized solid trier who half the Geelong supporter base wants upgraded), or Willie Rioli (premiership player averaging 1.7 goals per game) versus Shaun Mannagh (some bloke who's played like 10 games and is averaging barely over a goal), I expect I'd be banned from the polls board for wasting everyone's time. None of those comparisons are even close.

Even if this were true, how many examples from competitive sport or business can you think of where the person at the top doesn't cop it in the neck for organisational failure.

Hinkley is 100% paycheque and 0% accountability. He's not without talent though. He's a master manipulator of a clueless board and the AFL media for turning them into his enablers, so I'll give him that.

Of the posters defending Hinkley on BF, 99% are trolling and 1% need professional medical help. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I’m not defending Ken - I think he’s been there a long time and it’s probably time for a change at the club.

I just don’t think they’ve ever been as good as Port fans believe they would be with a different coach. They’ve always had question marks in a number of areas of their team.

So that ceiling that Ken has got the team to over the journey - the middle of the top 8 - is about as good as it gets for that core group of players.

If we are talking about actually winning a flag during his time, I don’t think they’ve ever been particularly close/unlucky - with Ken coach or otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two reasons for that

• The 3 team dominance thats existed for 12 years with Hawks/Richmond/Geelong at the time your list was at its strongest
  • He also coached a team that never truly bottomed out. Its why he has been around for 12 years.

Reality will tell you at the time Port had its best list, it was running into a time when the competition was at its strongest. In the 2017-2024 era, the teams just not had the list to do it

You can talk Ken all you want and reaching Grand Finals, but is any coach in history taking the below forward line to a Grand Final...

HF: Evans, Ratagulea, Rioli
FF: McEntee, Dixon, Georgiades

?

Yeah our forwards are average but he’s also overseen about 3 or 4 list turnovers in his time and has never implemented a functioning forward system.

Ever since Schultz retired, our forward structure is simply bomb it high and long to Dixon’s head. That’s a coaching failure and gets shown up every year come finals. It doesn’t work.

Then there’s the fact Dixon should have been told to retire a number of years ago. Continues to be selected and completely ineffective. That’s coaching.

Then there moving DBJ whose kicked 26 goals this year and kicked goals in crucial moments. Gets moved down back after playing forward for 2 years. That’s coaching.

Then there’s the continuing selection of Mcentee who is just about the worst player in the league. Wouldn’t get a game at Richmond now and yet he’s on a golden Hinkley pass. Offers absolutely nothing and continues to be selected. That’s coaching.

Not selecting other players during the year to rotate the list or get games into younger players who then we can’t call up come finals if needed. That’s coaching.

Starting the game and second qtr with JHF sitting on the bench for 5 minutes when he’s just about our most damaging player forward of centre, that’s coaching. Stick him in the forward pocket if you don’t want to start him centre square.

Our forward structure and ball movement is absolutely disgusting. Yet it hasn’t changed for years on end with multiple personal changes. That’s coaching. We are instructed to play this rubbish style which simply doesn’t stand up.

Yeah our forwards are average but he’s also overseen about 3 or 4 list turnovers in his time and has never implemented a functioning forward system.

Ever since Schultz retired, our forward structure is simply bomb it high and long to Dixon’s head. That’s a coaching failure and gets shown up every year come finals. It doesn’t work.

Then there’s the fact Dixon should have been told to retire a number of years ago. Continues to be selected and completely ineffective. That’s coaching.

Then there moving DBJ whose kicked 26 goals this year and kicked goals in crucial moments. Gets moved down back after playing forward for 2 years. That’s coaching.

Then there’s the continuing selection of Mcentee who is just about the worst player in the league. Wouldn’t get a game at Richmond now and yet he’s on a golden Hinkley pass. Offers absolutely nothing and continues to be selected. That’s coaching.

Not selecting other players during the year to rotate the list or get games into younger players who then we can’t call up come finals if needed. That’s coaching.

Starting the game and second qtr with JHF sitting on the bench for 5 minutes when he’s just about our most damaging player forward of centre, that’s coaching. Stick him in the forward pocket if you don’t want to start him centre square.

Our forward structure and ball movement is absolutely disgusting. Yet it hasn’t changed for years on end with multiple personal changes. That’s coaching. We are instructed to play this rubbish style which simply doesn’t stand up.
See. This is a good post.

Forward line been shit but he has tried to fix it for sure. Fantasia, Rioli, Finlayson have come in. Injuries just haven't helped as has lack of depth in these spots .

DBJ not the smartest move but not a game killer

McEntee and Evans are woeful. It's a list issue as i don't see massive competition for their roles . One more off season should see both gone . Joe Richards a giant upgrade

JHF thing has worked some games and not others. It didn't work cos the players absolutely didn't do their part. Hinkley is trying to use JHF like Collingwood used Nick Daicos in 2023. It's not a foreign tactic and has worked elsewhere

Dixon and Ratagulea are useless but those in reserve are not very good either. That's a list issue. You tried to fix it and it failed. That is multiple peoplea fault and not just Hinkley. Forward structure is disgusting cos the players in it are atrocious... How isn't that a relevant fact here

All this and no mention of Rozee, Butters or Drew makes no sense to me... Why do all 3 get this much of a free ride ?

Bill Stephen done that across three different stints and he was sacked twice by now

See. This is a good post.

Forward line been shit but he has tried to fix it for sure. Fantasia, Rioli, Finlayson have come in. Injuries just haven't helped as has lack of depth in these spots .

DBJ not the smartest move but not a game killer

McEntee and Evans are woeful. It's a list issue as i don't see massive competition for their roles . One more off season should see both gone . Joe Richards a giant upgrade

JHF thing has worked some games and not others. It didn't work cos the players absolutely didn't do their part. Hinkley is trying to use JHF like Collingwood used Nick Daicos in 2023. It's not a foreign tactic and has worked elsewhere

Dixon and Ratagulea are useless but those in reserve are not very good either. That's a list issue. You tried to fix it and it failed. That is multiple peoplea fault and not just Hinkley. Forward structure is disgusting cos the players in it are atrocious... How isn't that a relevant fact here

All this and no mention of Rozee, Butters or Drew makes no sense to me... Why do all 3 get this much of a free ride ?

He's tried to fix it simply by good players falling in to his hands without actually working on the structure, tactics, and delivery. That's the most amateur way to fix anything.

I have no issue to say that our forwardline recently is better, and not by a small amount, on paper, man for man, than Collingwood, but they won the flag because of a SYSTEM. Coaching.

And he never will.
A record is a record. This record is hard to achieve and unlikely to be beaten anytime soon. Credit where it's due, Port and Ken and Kochie have accomplished something special here.

As a neutral I really did think this Port team was ready to make a fist of this current finals series, especially finishing 2nd and playing so well against Freo in the last H&A.
I’m at a complete loss to understand or explain what happened last night, but you can’t get away from the result.
The Cats are a well drilled, experienced and talented outfit but Port should be winning this game.
Port supporters know their team best and it’s now hard to argue against the critics of Ken and company.

Last edited:

I’m no port fan, but this is silly.
You’ve just watched Team A absolutely smash Team B so your team is (surprise surprise) filled with players from Team A.
For those of us whose memory extends beyond the previous 24 hours, clear misses are Drew, and, as you pretty much admit Georgiades and Allir. Honestly, what serious person considers Kolodjashnji a comparable player to Aliir Aliir? And Dempsey relegating Rozee to the bench? Lol.
There are probably others, but those three alone bring the combined team close to parity in terms of contribution.

I’m no port fan, but this is silly.
You’ve just watched Team A absolutely smash Team B so your team is (surprise surprise) filled with players from Team A.
For those of us whose memory extends beyond the previous 24 hours, clear misses are Drew, and, as you pretty much admit Georgiades and Allir. Honestly, what serious person considers Kolodjashnji a comparable player to Aliir Aliir? And Dempsey relegating Rozee to the bench? Lol.
There are probably others, but those three alone bring the combined team close to parity in terms of contribution.
Nah mate you've just got your blinkers on. Jake Kolodjashnij will make the AA side any day now.

He's tried to fix it simply by good players falling in to his hands without actually working on the structure, tactics, and delivery. That's the most amateur way to fix anything.

I have no issue to say that our forwardline recently is better, and not by a small amount, on paper, man for man, than Collingwood, but they won the flag because of a SYSTEM. Coaching.
Good players? He had 3 Geelong rejects in the forward line.... How is that the concept of good playrrs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back