Can South Africa win the Ashes for the first time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopefully Haider begins playing for a county and after the alloted time period in England he becomes their keeper. Chortle.

Get off their back. We have to give them a chance, because we all know they wouldn’t have one if they actually played a team of 11 Englishmen for once.

Pietersen, Trott and Prior - and captained by Strauss.

Could be a landmark win for South Africa - and a little surprising considering they aren't listed as competing.

:rolleyes:

Do you mean first time in Australia? The above 4 were all involved in South Africa's successful Ashes campaign last year.

Strauss - who cares, been in england since he was 5 or something?

It's more guys like Pieterson, who essentially upped and moved to england because they thought they'd have a better chance of making the english side than the south african one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez - never realised that the bowling line up from the early 90's was all West Indian born.

Small, Defreitas and Malcolm

Not to mention Chris Lewis and his supposed all round ability.

Number of blokes also played most of their cricket outside of Eng before debuting. I remember watching Mullally and McCague playing for England after plying their trade in WA.

This subject always makes me laugh, as if Australia would never dare play anybody not born here...Khawaja is the next big thing for the Aussies and just look at Australia A... Khawaja (Pakistan), O'Keefe (Malaysia) even the wunderkind Steve Smith has a pommy passport...(if he is such an aussie what's he doing applying for an english passport?). Don't get me started on all the 'Aussie' athletes in the commonwealth games team...especially the weightlifters, boxers etc. How many non-Australians have played rugby for Australia? What about all these Aussie musicians like Neil Finn, AC/DC (one australian-born member at last count), the BeeGees, former Australian of the Year John Farnham. Actors..hmmm let's see... Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson, Naomi Watts, Sam Neill. Just because Strauss spent the first 6 years of his life and Prior spent the first 13 years in South Africa they are forever referred to as South African but Andrew Symonds....naaah mate he's an Aussie. All of the so called 'foreigners' in the England cricket team have at least one english parent.

Don't get me started on all the 'Aussie' athletes in the commonwealth games team...especially the weightlifters, boxers etc. How many non-Australians have played rugby for Australia? What about all these Aussie musicians like Neil Finn, AC/DC (one australian-born member at last count), the BeeGees, former Australian of the Year John Farnham. Actors..hmmm let's see... Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson, Naomi Watts, Sam Neill.

I'm sorry, I thought this was a cricket forum. My mistake.

Two things English fans in this thread have glossed over

1. Moving to Australia as a baby/toddler =/= Moving to England after learning to play cricket in South Africa (Pietersen, Trott)

2. Handful of fringe players, some yet to debut =/= Most of their batsmen including captain, keeper and best player.

Umm so make up your mind

1. Players who are truly English but born overseas dont count ie Strauss and Prior

or

2. They do count and so does Australias list of internationals

I want it both ways!!! :)

IMO - if you're playing competitive cricket by about 17-19 - that's your country.

Strauss cleary is a pom - but won't stop me heckling from the WACA members :)

Interesting though that 3 of the last 5 english captains were born outside the country.

There's a huge difference between moving to a different country as a youngster, ala khawaja for us and Strauss for England, and moving after over the age of 20 cos you cant make your own side (ala Pieterson).

No issue with most of the poms, Pieterson and Trott is a bit poor, and there's a host of their ilk in the County game. Not good for development in that country.

And FreBulldog, im very much an australian but if i could somehow get one i'd grab a pom passport with both hands, getting an EU passport would make travelling a breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back