Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a huge fan of succession plans. It makes sense if it’s something like Roos at Melb where that was always the plan. But has Buckley/Malthouse all over it. What if Worsfold gets Bombers to a Grabd Final? Oh well, tough s**t, thanks for the work. Seems... iffy.
I think we should win the premiership to really show the club that it’s a bad idea.

Bulldogs and Richmond came from similar places to win a Grand Final. I don’t think it will, but I never thought those particular teams in those years would either. All I am saying is, what if they do? What if Essendon just go nuts?

That’s where it gets messy. It’s why the whole Malthouse drama happened; he wanted to keep coaching and if the succession plan didn’t exist, he would have. Two grand finals in a row with one victory is a decent reason for him to think he should still keep his job.

Ultimately it just feels like Essendon did this to keep Rutten from going over to Adelaide, but they didn’t want to fork over money to Worsfold for breaking his contract early. So this is a weird compromise which really has a lot of potential for drama.
The deal was struck before Pyke resigned.

Also, Rutten will be in charge of the tactics/game plan next year without being the face of it. Rutten is basically the coach with Worsfold overseeing it. If we succeed next year, it’s most likely because of Rutten.

Tonight I feel so weak
But all in football is fair
I turn the other cheek
And I feel the slap and the sting of the foul night air
And I know you're only an AFL club
And I haven't got talking room
But tonight while I'm making excuses
Some other coach is playing with you

Somebody bring Worsfold some water
Can't you see he's burning alive
Can't you see my football clubs got another lover
I don't know how I'm gonna survive
Somebody bring me some water
Can't you see it's out of control
Essendon's got my heart and my Essendon's got my mind
But tonight the sweet Devil's got my soul

Seems like a lot of effort for so very little return.

Not a huge fan of succession plans. It makes sense if it’s something like Roos at Melb where that was always the plan. But has Buckley/Malthouse all over it. What if Worsfold gets Bombers to a Grabd Final? Oh well, tough s**t, thanks for the work. Seems... iffy.

Nah, nothing like Buckley/Malthouse which had Mick still the active head coach in his final year. It will be Rutten's game plan in place next season & essentially he will be head coach in most respects without the official title. & it's pretty clear Woosha wants to head home, not be dragged out the door screaming like Mick.

Many of us commented after Woosha's move to the bench this season that something like this could be in the works so it's no real surprise.

I think Woosha will treat Rutten a bit better next year than Malthouse treated Buckley in 2011 under similar circumstances. No-one, but no-one could behave in the embittered, childish manner that Malthouse carried on with at that time and since then.

Nah, nothing like Buckley/Malthouse which had Mick still the active head coach in his final year. It will be Rutten's game plan in place next season & essentially he will be head coach in most respects without the official title. & it's pretty clear Woosha wants to head home, not be dragged out the door screaming like Mick.

Many of us commented after Woosha's move to the bench this season that something like this could be in the works so it's no real surprise.

Okay fair enough, I stand corrected. I clearly don’t know about a lot of the inner workings at Essendon, just from an outsider perspective it looks a bit suss. But maybe it will be fine!

This worked pretty well for Melbourne - current position excluded.

Goodwin coached the team whilst Roos coached the media in 2016 and really to get 10 wins and some chance of finals in 2016 was an excellent coaching performance. We beat the Hawks comfortably, had a road win against Port, played some good footy that year with a really young side with a heap of gaps (pretty much without a quality key defender). Many may disagree but Melbourne's ball movement in 16 was really dangerous for a side without a heap of skills and Roos kept things defensive and knew when to pull back to basics.

Some ups and downs but it launched Melbourne to a good platform for 17/18. Obviously a lot of other things have gone off track since then leading to this year but those failures have been with fitness/list management/development coaching.

If Rutten is a smart operator with a good game plan this gives him a strong platform for next season and the ones after assuming Worsfold plays ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Woosha will treat Rutten a bit better next year than Malthouse treated Buckley in 2011 under similar circumstances. No-one, but no-one could behave in the embittered, childish manner that Malthouse carried on with at that time and since then.

yep

Worsfolds great strength is man management and he won't let his ego get in the way like Malthouse did.

I like the idea of succession planning. It makes sense. Of course you need the right person to take over and a solid plan and understanding between the parties involved.
Despite this year I think the Melbourne one had been a success. This season was a cluster **** since last season ended. Nothing went right.

I like the idea of succession planning. It makes sense. Of course you need the right person to take over and a solid plan and understanding between the parties involved.
Despite this year I think the Melbourne one had been a success. This season was a cluster **** since last season ended. Nothing went right.

Although Richardson,Bolton,Brad Scott got the sack all were replaced with internal people from the club which is in someways is a succession plan.

Hope it works as good for Essendon as the Roos to Goodwin succession plan has worked out for The Dees ! 👍

Me too.

imo Wooshas coaching only works if his team is full of leaders and Essendons team isn't full of leaders who can coach themselves they need a coach who can build relationships and get told when they do the wrong or right thing i feel like Rutten is that type.

Reeks of Dons not wanting look like a failure so they stuck worsfold on pike and using him as a puppet for next year than a proper succession plan. If it was a proper plan then worsfold would be coaching his way next year like malthouse did.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reeks of Dons not wanting look like a failure so they stuck worsfold on pike and using him as a puppet for next year than a proper succession plan. If it was a proper plan then worsfold would be coaching his way next year like malthouse did.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Difference is Worsfold is nothing like Malthouse,Malthouse let his ego get in the way.

The deal was struck before Pyke resigned.

Also, Rutten will be in charge of the tactics/game plan next year without being the face of it. Rutten is basically the coach with Worsfold overseeing it. If we succeed next year, it’s most likely because of Rutten.

I've long believed the deal Woosha did (in Adelaide) with Paul Little was to be a clone of the Crows set up following the death of Phil Walsh, i.e Woosha as director & Campo as the coach.
Believe that structure was in place when Mark Neeld quit early season 2018.

The Rutten arrangement is Wooshas last chance to make it work.

I've long believed the deal Woosha did (in Adelaide) with Paul Little was to be a clone of the Crows set up following the death of Phil Walsh, i.e Woosha as director & Campo as the coach.
Believe that structure was in place when Mark Neeld quit early season 2018.

The Rutten arrangement is Wooshas last chance to make it work.

I thought Worsfold was next in line to replace Phil Walsh at the Crows but then Essendon came along and the rest is history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back