Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Woosha's first 3 years in earnest have been Elimination-exit level. You could see 2017-19 as a collective period. His first 3 years in charge of West Coast were a bit like that, playing some good football at times during the season then succumbing weakly in Week 1. Both clubs were coming out of dark, club-low periods and were highly touted prospects in that 3rd season of reasonable footy (2004; 2019). The somewhat premature rise (2002; 2017) doesn't help him.

Woosha just doesn't appear to be the type of mastermind matchday coach to win a flag from outside the 4. He needs to get his side into a top 4 position to really have a shot. Great man to steer a club as head coach, so one can hardly sack him. Just needs Essendon to have the sort of season they haven't really had since 2001, as they've been a non-contender scrapping for 5-8 finals wins ever since.

Last edited:

The crisis tag shouldn’t be loosely thrown about.

Note for reference that I undertake extensive modelling and analysis before arriving at a crisis conclusion

Having said all that, yes I can confirm, that Essendon are in crisis
You blokes have a far best list than us and will go out in straight sets. That’s a far bigger crisis than what we face

The Age is reporteding that a Worsfold/Rutten succession plan will be announced this arvo.

Does this count as the sixth sacking?

You tell us.

He has a contract next year and he is seeing out his contract as head coach.

Does that equal a sacking on BF?

If he's coaching next year, no it doesnt count.
I wonder if Caracalla was informed that this was the plan at the bombers before he signed up for next year. I know he is being handsomely rewarded financially but another assistant stint under a inexperienced coach probably won't enhance his chances of getting a senior gig if in fact that is what he wants. He might just be happy with a well paying senior assistant role

Not a huge fan of succession plans. It makes sense if it’s something like Roos at Melb where that was always the plan. But has Buckley/Malthouse all over it. What if Worsfold gets Bombers to a Grabd Final? Oh well, tough shit, thanks for the work. Seems... iffy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a huge fan of succession plans. It makes sense if it’s something like Roos at Melb where that was always the plan. But has Buckley/Malthouse all over it. What if Worsfold gets Bombers to a Grabd Final? Oh well, tough s**t, thanks for the work. Seems... iffy.
Certainly has its dangers.

You tell us.

He has a contract next year and he is seeing out his contract as head coach.

Does that equal a sacking on BF?
If he's coaching next year, no it doesnt count.
Call it a planned removal if you like. It still means he's not wanted long term, and I'd count it towards the number of coaches who've lost their job this year. He's just got an exceptionally long notice period.

Not a huge fan of succession plans. It makes sense if it’s something like Roos at Melb where that was always the plan. But has Buckley/Malthouse all over it. What if Worsfold gets Bombers to a Grabd Final? Oh well, tough s**t, thanks for the work. Seems... iffy.
Well we all know thats not going to happen.

Tonight I feel so weak
But all in football is fair
I turn the other cheek
And I feel the slap and the sting of the foul night air
And I know you're only an AFL club
And I haven't got talking room
But tonight while I'm making excuses
Some other coach is playing with you

Somebody bring Worsfold some water
Can't you see he's burning alive
Can't you see my football clubs got another lover
I don't know how I'm gonna survive
Somebody bring me some water
Can't you see it's out of control
Essendon's got my heart and my Essendon's got my mind
But tonight the sweet Devil's got my soul

Call it a planned removal if you like. It still means he's not wanted long term, and I'd count it towards the number of coaches who've lost their job this year. He's just got an exceptionally long notice period.
And obviously, it was well planned for him to be here long term given his wife and children have moved across to Victoria.

Well we all know thats not going to happen.

Bulldogs and Richmond came from similar places to win a Grand Final. I don’t think it will, but I never thought those particular teams in those years would either. All I am saying is, what if they do? What if Essendon just go nuts?

That’s where it gets messy. It’s why the whole Malthouse drama happened; he wanted to keep coaching and if the succession plan didn’t exist, he would have. Two grand finals in a row with one victory is a decent reason for him to think he should still keep his job.

Ultimately it just feels like Essendon did this to keep Rutten from going over to Adelaide, but they didn’t want to fork over money to Worsfold for breaking his contract early. So this is a weird compromise which really has a lot of potential for drama.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back