Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Will any club risk picking Silvagni?

It's a massive risk for them.

I would hope that we have decided well in advance of draft day what we are prepared to give up, if he goes before that, the risk is with the other club.

He's underdeveloped and probably wouldn't play for at least two years (unless it's Essendon), he also may not be any good, if he is he may just ride out his contract for two years before he can return to Carlton and possibly play with his brother.

We hold almost all the aces here, I hope we play it that way.
No... we hold all the aces here. No other club will realistically look at SOSOS 1 as a potential first or second round draftee knowing that in 2 years he will walk out of their club and demand a trade to Carlton.

Yes there is, if another club over values him. Anyway looks like I'm done for the day, so farewell.
It's a little back to front but it's like a light goes on when you leave.

Interestingly Wallace doesn't have us taking Rice anymore with our second pick, not really following the U18 championships but he must be stinking it up.
Wallace's Top 20 is not necessarily a true guide of who will be drafted at a particular pick, but more about who he rates as the Top 20 draft prospects each week. This will continue to change based on U18 Champ performances & exposed form in upcoming TAC Cup matches.

It should be noted that the player Wallace had at our 2nd pick is an Academy player & therefore is extremely unlikely to be our 2nd pick.

Our mate Knightmare suggests SOSOS is still a rookie prospect.
Gotta rate his consistency.

Id love to know where he'd rank him if he wasn't a Carlton F/S.

I hope he is. His ability or lack thereof won't change because of where recruiters rate him. We want people to rate him because we want to get excited about his potential but he's going to be the same player regardless of where he is taken in the draft. Expectations will be lower if he is taken lower although some supporters will bleat about us only taking him because of who his Dad is.

If it wasn't for the occasional romance of football I don't know I would have the same passion for it. I'd be thrilled just to hear the name Silvagni mentioned in a Carlton game again, regardless of how good he is.

I don"t think any of the guys on the D&T board have him ranked that high. I wouldn't be too worried.

I don"t think any of the guys on the D&T board have him ranked that high. I wouldn't be too worried.
I'm not worried :p
I was just trying to relate back to knughtmare's dislike of carlton. Remember he didn't rate Crippa as top 50 under 23 a while back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to admit I didn't really rate PC before the season.

Not saying I didn't think he was any good (or that he wouldn't make it). But prior to 2015 he was a big lump of a lad who had played 3 AFL games. Broken leg meant he also had limited exposure at lower level (although finished 2nd in NB B&F?). Prospective? Yes. Proven? No.

Of course if you watched him closely at NB level last year, you might have known what he had in him.

I'd heard the extractor nickname, I'd even watched u/18 highlights, but nothing prepared me for how impressive he has been, with excellent vision and insane handballing skills. There is no way a 2nd year (effectively 1st year AFL) should be this influential, particularly as an inside mid, where you would expect kids to struggle.... So I think it's fair that except for Carlton tragics, you would be a bit surprised compared to pre-season...

Neither had most of the list hence the discussion that was had on this board.
Yeah so it's totally subjective, which is why people have such wide discrepancies in ratings. Once you have stats , facts and runs on the board it becomes much clearer, as shown by him rating him much closer to where he belongs.

Yes there is, if another club over values him. Anyway looks like I'm done for the day, so farewell.

So in your view for us to be pathetic, we'd need another pathetic club to value him just as highly as we do. Isn't the very notion of a bidding war evidence of market value?

I have no idea why you support Carlton. They obviously don't inspire any love or positive feeling towards them.

I have to admit I didn't really rate PC before the season.

Not saying I didn't think he was any good (or that he wouldn't make it). But prior to 2015 he was a big lump of a lad who had played 3 AFL games. Broken leg meant he also had limited exposure at lower level (although finished 2nd in NB B&F?). Prospective? Yes. Proven? No.

Of course if you watched him closely at NB level last year, you might have known what he had in him.

I'd heard the extractor nickname, I'd even watched u/18 highlights, but nothing prepared me for how impressive he has been, with excellent vision and insane handballing skills. There is no way a 2nd year (effectively 1st year AFL) should be this influential, particularly as an inside mid, where you would expect kids to struggle.... So I think it's fair that except for Carlton tragics, you would be a bit surprised compared to pre-season...

I first started really rating him when I saw him in the intra club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure if you ask for an assessment of Jack he will be more than willing to spend time giving a response.

I think we are banking on him growing 2-3cm and having improved performances against some stronger opposition before year end. Hopefully Sunday's performance will give him some confidence.

I'm sure if you ask for an assessment of Jack he will be more than willing to spend time giving a response.

I think we are banking on him growing 2-3cm and having improved performances against some stronger opposition before year end. Hopefully Sunday's performance will give him some confidence.
bcqv8ijcvxvwm0wxgpi8_zpsbne2wih8.png

I hope he is. His ability or lack thereof won't change because of where recruiters rate him. We want people to rate him because we want to get excited about his potential but he's going to be the same player regardless of where he is taken in the draft. Expectations will be lower if he is taken lower although some supporters will bleat about us only taking him because of who his Dad is.

If it wasn't for the occasional romance of football I don't know I would have the same passion for it. I'd be thrilled just to hear the name Silvagni mentioned in a Carlton game again, regardless of how good he is.

That's exactly right ODN. Who cares how the other recruiters rate him as it certainly won't change what kind of player he will develop in to. I hope like hell that all the clubs rate him as 4th or 5th rounder or even as a rookie pick, as we will still select him anyway and we can use a our higher picks on other talented draftees. Under those circumstances, it would be a win / win for us.

Recruiters are really just like race callers as they don't make the players perform any better, as the race callers don't make the horses go faster or slower. A player's draft position just reflects a group of people's opinions ... that's all it is, nothing more or less.

If a player is drafted as No. 1 or No. 100, once the season has begins, they are both start equal and TBH No. 1 in many respects is not an enviable moniker to shoulder any way, as there is enormous pressure to perform. So young Jack is better off to drafted as low as possible as he will have enough expectation with his family history, without being burdened with a high draft pick next to his name.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back