Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah so it's totally subjective, which is why people have such wide discrepancies in ratings. Once you have stats , facts and runs on the board it becomes much clearer, as shown by him rating him much closer to where he belongs.

Um... it's a bit too late after they are drafted; that's what recruiting is all about, trying to put the stats into some kind of context. It's not completely subjective but it is closer to art than science.

Um... it's a bit too late after they are drafted; that's what recruiting is all about, trying to put the stats into some kind of context. It's not completely subjective but it is closer to art than science.
Of course it's too late after they're drafted. I think you missed the point a little bit.

Of course it's too late after they're drafted. I think you missed the point a little bit.
Missed the point or just hard time understanding it in regards to what lachie charm was saying? Lachie charm was accusing Knightmare of having an anti Carlton bias and you are trying to refute it by evidence well after the fact? Am I right so far?

Last edited:
Missed the point or just hard time understanding it in regards to what lachie charm was saying? Lachie charm was accusing Knightmare of having an anti Carlton bias and you are trying to refute it by evidence well after the fact? Am I right so far? I'm presuming lachie charm was talking about an immediate post draft discussion. Knightmare may or may not be biased but he's probably not stupid to go with it (or not).
People rate certain qualities in young players differently, and how they will apply to AFL level. If someone didn't think Cripps attributes/skillset was going to go well, why would they rate him highly? It's documented that a few AFL recruiters didn't rate Cripps particularly highly as well, especially his bad time trials. Carlton obviously saw very different qualities in him, and drafted him so of course that subjective.

Now that Knightmare has seen how well Cripps can play in the AFL, he has adjusted his ratings of him. He didn't particularly rate Cripps before the draft either when Carlton weren't linked to him, so it's not a Carlton hate thing. Not sure why i'm going back over this anyway.

People rate certain qualities in young players differently, and how they will apply to AFL level. If someone didn't think Cripps attributes/skillset was going to go well, why would they rate him highly? It's documented that a few AFL recruiters didn't rate Cripps particularly highly as well, especially his bad time trials. Carlton obviously saw very different qualities in him, and drafted him so of course that subjective.

Now that Knightmare has seen how well Cripps can play in the AFL, he has adjusted his ratings of him. He didn't particularly rate Cripps before the draft either when Carlton weren't linked to him, so it's not a Carlton hate thing. Not sure why i'm going back over this anyway.

Yeah, I did mix myself up a bit in attempting to refute your reasoning and I was thinking of Knightmare's ratings before Cripps was linked to Carlton. :drunk: It must be all the talk of Jack who is still in the system and is (of course) linked to us. Still, I maintain you'd be a bit stupid to argue against AFL evidence, biased or not, and thus you would alter your opinion to save face. Also, there is at least one Phantom poster who has us drafting a lot of players who don't read too well on paper and ignoring the better key position players. Either it's wishful thinking or he knows us too well. ;)

Last edited:
lol, surely you're joking.

Lol, surely I'm not.

Hypothetically, If his name was Jack Smith, and not Silvagni, and the draft was this week, he'd go somewhere between pick 40 onwards. The fact that his old man is a club legend I think counts for something, and I think it will put other clubs off a bit, not completely, but a bit.
So it's entirely possible to get him as a rookie.

For the record I think we'll end up using a pick around 70 or so.

I also think he's talented, and will be a good get, but just because he's kicked a bag in school footy doesn't mean much. The standard is a fair way off champs level (yes, I'm aware of his game V WA).

He's skinny and a bit short for the position he plays and hasn't yet displayed that he has any freakish athletic quality, nor can you imagine him imposing himself onto the contest physically at this stage. Those are the downsides, however the idea that he's rookie standard only seems a bit old school. It seems to harken back to the days when taking skinny kids that were only half proven was considered a delicate undertaking - probably because fitness and weight-gaining techniques weren't as advanced as they are now (all issues of steroid abuse aside). I'd say be prepared to pay something of value for him but that shouldn't be any more than where we'd rate him ourselves. I'd be more worried we'd do something silly and let him go rather than him not being worth what we'd give up if/when we do. He's the kind of player who's upside slightly outweighs his likely draft position, that's what has me enthused about the situation.

For the record i love the guy,
As far as draft picks go comparisons from previous drafts as follows:
Jack Darling - 190cm (pick 26)
Nat Fyfe - 186cm(at draft) (pick 20)
Tim Membrey - 188cm (pick 46)
Stewart Crameri - 190cm (rookie)
Blaine Johnson - 188cm (rookie)

Countless others who go undrafted because simply putting it recruiters don't like players at that awkward size that can't run through the midfield.

the obvious exception is Jake Stringer but i believe most think he will end up as a midfielder.

I personally think as it stands right now we will pick him up for a bargain around pick 50 or our third rounder.
Shifter Sheenan reckons he's a 20-30 proposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back