Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So Bailey to do his knee in 2022, join Carlton in 2023, do his knee again*, then be a key part of a Blues premiership in 2024 alongside a Silvagni going great guns in his mid to late 20s.

* I don't mean it injury gods.

That's not how the bidding system works. If St Kilda is his preference, we'd have to pre-emptively select him and hope the Saints decline to match, which they likely would.

There's no auctioning process, they just get the points taken from next year's draft if they don't have enough left this year.
Sorry to intrude, but you guys do have the second chance at him.

For instance, if another club nominates him in the 2nd round and the Saints decide to pass, you guys will then get the option to take him.

Good luck to Bailey, I have no issue with this at all. He's a kid.

But if the Saints don't/can't match any offer pick wise, I hope we don't take him. Not sour grapes at all, only want people committed to this club.

I also don't want him here in the future if things are looking up. Or if the Saints are battling. That would prove he's a downhill skier & I think we're finally weeding them out.

This is no loss at all. He's made his Seaford bed & can enjoy laying in it.

Good luck to Rice hope he does well, I think either club wouldn't have been too upset either way, with the new system you don't really benefit as much as you once did so he probably would have cost us our 2nd round pick which will probably net us a player of the same caliber, the benefit is we dont have the pressure of having our 2nd round pick locked in to get him, im guessing it'll be used in the GWS trade.

Yeah good luck to the kid no big loss last thing we need is another half back.

Buckley, Tuohy, Sheehan, Byrne, Docherty all look like quality defensive flankers. Dick as a back up. We would have been pushing other players into other positions to accommodate Rice anyway.

Buckley, Tuohy, Sheehan, Byrne, Docherty all look like quality defensive flankers. Dick as a back up. We would have been pushing other players into other positions to accommodate Rice anyway.

Yeah but we have plenty of these flanker types Bucks and Doc can still play in the middle and it depends on how our trades go, we need another inside midfielder to support Cripps but we have Graham for that as well.

Sorry to intrude, but you guys do have the second chance at him.

For instance, if another club nominates him in the 2nd round and the Saints decide to pass, you guys will then get the option to take him.
I clarified my comments a little after, but yes you are technically right. :)

That said, the Saints have been wooing him all year while we've cooled. All signs point to them matching any bid before we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon it's a slap in the face for all CFC stakeholders.

Which part? The one where we didn't fight to the death for another HBF'er?

Carlisle wanted to come to us but we stood firm on the money and tenure..................................................................tick to the CFC
Rice would have been happy to come here but we didn't allow our pride to get in the way of proper management.........another tick for the CFC

You guys are confused. Seriously.

Wow we must have really sunk to the bottom if playing for St Kilda is more appealing than playing for Carlton :(

Not really. If I was a HBF I'd choose the Saints too.

Half the Emerald Isle is on our list waiting to play half back. Plus Simpson, Buckley, Docherty, Rainbow, Dick, Holman. Weitering will probably have to cut his teeth on a HBF in his first year.

I realise we love the father-son angle, but the reality is it wouldn't have been the best career move for him, so it's hard to be upset.

Which part? The one where we didn't fight to the death for another HBF'er?

Carlisle wanted to come to us but we stood firm on the money and tenure..................................................................tick to the CFC
Rice would have been happy to come here but we didn't allow our pride to get in the way of proper management.........another tick for the CFC

You guys are confused. Seriously.

Half back flanker today and gun inside mid tomorrow. This is a loss.

Half back flanker today and gun inside mid tomorrow. This is a loss.

It's not a freebie though. He will be bid on where he is rated and the Saints get a 20% discount. Theoretically the players taken around him should be just as capable.

Not really. If I was a HBF I'd choose the Saints too.

Half the Emerald Isle is on our list waiting to play half back. Plus Simpson, Buckley, Docherty, Rainbow, Dick, Holman. Weitering will probably have to cut his teeth on a HBF in his first year.

I realise we love the father-son angle, but the reality is it wouldn't have been the best career move for him, so it's hard to be upset.
Come on man, we finished dead last and we are universally recognised as having the worst list in the AFL... Apart from Zach, none of the Irish boys have shown enough to suggest they can become regulars at AFL level....Simmo is most likely done after next year, Buckley is inconsistent and you would expect him to be pushed out of the team as our rebuild progresses... As for Rainbow, Dick and Holman... They have shown next to nothing between them

We have holes in every position on the field including HBF'ers

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back