Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely GC can have their NGA academy limited to encompass only their local areas (lose the North NSW region) and they should have the same bidding restrictions as other clubs have inside 40. As in you can’t match a bid inside 40. Or maybe you can only match one.

I actually don’t mind the idea of requiring a pick in the round your player will potentially fall. But if this happens this year their gonna be a high price on picks 34-40 and 14-18 as everyone will want them.

I still don’t get why GC is the only team that gets to match academy players inside the first round but north weren’t with ryley sanders.

Surely GC can have their NGA academy limited to encompass only their local areas (lose the North NSW region) and they should have the same bidding restrictions as other clubs have inside 40. As in you can’t match a bid inside 40. Or maybe you can only match one.

I actually don’t mind the idea of requiring a pick in the round your player will potentially fall. But if this happens this year their gonna be a high price on picks 34-40 and 14-18 as everyone will want them.

I still don’t get why GC is the only team that gets to match academy players inside the first round but north weren’t with ryley sanders.
Same reason Hardwick can say whatever he want in a press conference and the AFL play ball straight away .. sooner they hand GC Giants and Tassie a cup the better the competition will be -- I propose in 2028 we have the year off and just give em one each -- then play ball

Teams made trades including future picks in preparation for this season. It would be a farce if the rule changes impacted the 2024 draft
This is it for me too. When you open up trading to allow future picks you have to think of changes like this in a 2 yr window, not an immediate change. Given future pick trading now, list management decisions are a 2 trade period process now, not 1.

A change like this flies in the face of clubs list strategy.

This is it for me too. When you open up trading to allow future picks you have to think of changes like this in a 2 yr window, not an immediate change. Given future pick trading now, list management decisions are a 2 trade period process now, not 1.

A change like this flies in the face of clubs list strategy.
It's been mentioned that the clubs 'have been on notice for over 12 months' regarding rule changes.
Just unfortunate and bad timing that it might impact Carlton this year.
The recent Suns and Lions rorting of the system has probably raised concerns from most other clubs.

It's been mentioned that the clubs 'have been on notice for over 12 months' regarding rule changes.
The recent Suns and Lions rorting of the system has probably raised concerns from most other clubs.
Yes but there's a difference between saying a change might come vs knowing what the changes actually are and allowing clubs a trade period to accommodate them.

Yes but there's a difference between saying a change might come vs knowing what the changes actually are and allowing clubs a trade period to accommodate them.
Yep- totally ridiculous assertion that clubs should’ve known change was coming and therefore if they are caught out it’s their bad luck. Only makes sense if they also knew what that change would be. Tbh listening to the speed of her response I reckon was a bit of chest beating on her behalf. “We are the afl we can make changes if we want, you should know that” etc

So she's asserting that clubs have known about it for over 12 months, yet it was only announced publicly half way during the trade period back in October.

Me thinks I can sniff a fair bit of Angus manure in the air....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So she's asserting that clubs have known about it for over 12 months, yet it was only announced publicly half way during the trade period back in October.

What a ridiculous way to run a professional sports league.

Even if clubs did know about it, no-one can fully prepare for the change if there are no finalised proposals...
Was she expecting clubs to guess what the changes might be and expect clubs to make trade decisions based on speculation?

Laura Kane is like the immaculate conception of the modern corporate garbo logic. The perfect syntheziation of everything wrong with modern corporate governance. She'll make some decision that inequitably affects certain clubs and justify it on the basis that it's "grounded in our principles of (insert whatever corporate garbage they roll out)".

The father/son system is very much time honoured. It has not been a (major) issue for decades. Some clubs have benefitted more than others, but not to an overly incongruous degree. It should have little to no alteration in regulations other than perhaps a safeguard against perhaps having a third first rounder in any given year. A system demanding loss of the following year’s first rounder would be the very least of safeguards they could enact.

It runs the risk of being bastardised because of the success of the Northern Academies. They are doing their job well and becoming a juggernaut. Simply a system needs to be enacted precluding the Northern clubs to exclusive access for multiple genuine first rounders. On the surface the haul from last season’s draft was an outlier, however it is shaping as possible to become the norm. The elephant in the room is the ability to hide talent from the pathways, so policing is going to be next door to impossible.

Yes, we have a year of possibly two highish picks, but I am happy to go on record that father/son works. The down side for clubs is that taking the relatives which is expected should they show some ability, precludes the club from drafting for need in that particular year. Assuming we take the Campo boys, we will have a high volume accumulator with “average” disposal who divides opinion on his bona fides as a first rounder. His brother, to date, plays almost exclusively outside, his underage footy was superior to his now higher rated brother, but is showing up as an outside type, somewhat in the mould of LOB. In theory, he may be the better brother and we could be “hiding” him by not showing a real contested side in the underage games.

All of the scaremongering about needing two first round picks is nonsense. I don’t claim to be an expert, but am a close watcher who has a decent idea of most things around the draft. There is a small chance Ben goes in the early teens and Lucas mid twenties, but more likely Ben is a late first to early second rounder and Lucas could slide as far as the rookie draft.

It will be fascinating to see the changes, but I have little faith the makey upper AFL does it as equitably as practical. The academies deserve a return for their effort and investment, but not to the detriment of everyone else. They have opened up new frontiers, so to speak, but those frontiers are vast. The go home factor which has haunted the Northern clubs is now likely to work in reverse, should the AFL give substantial access to Victorian and other clubs for the “Gold Coast” kids.

Absolute can of worms…

The Northern academies haven't opened up frontiers. They're just benefiting from the enormous number of kids now playing AFL in Qld. What we're seeing now I think is the tip of the iceberg. If they keep the academies as is GC could have 2-5 of the best kids from each draft. Which is a completely different scenario from FS I agree.

Laura Kane is like the immaculate conception of the modern corporate garbo logic. The perfect syntheziation of everything wrong with modern corporate governance. She'll make some decision that inequitably affects certain clubs and justify it on the basis that it's "grounded in our principles of (insert whatever corporate garbage they roll out)".

I agree. Lost points when she changed holding the ball mid season due to media pressure.

Yeah, she is dreadful. Everytime she has an interview or presser im flabbergasted at the absolute drivel coming from her mouth disguised in grandiloquent speak.

Won't be at all surprised if they make changes to this year's draft with her in charge. Terrible first year on the job imo.

The culture of exclusively promoting internal candidates to these senior roles at the AFL is starting to look more and more insane.

Dil looks so out of his depth it's not funny and Laura is qualified for the key football role how exactly? Surely some type of club / coaching / playing of the sport would be essential?

They're just corporate climbers with no real idea what they're doing or convictions or ideas of their own so will constantly bow to things like media pressure.

The idea that Brendan Gale wasn't a better candidate than Dil is farcical.

What a ridiculous way to run a professional sports league.

Even if clubs did know about it, no-one can fully prepare for the change if there are no finalised proposals...
Was she expecting clubs to guess what the changes might be and expect clubs to make trade decisions based on speculation?
And Laura says a “fairer” way for the system to run to. Don’t believe there’s too much fair about moving the goal posts mid-trade periods with futures traded without knowledge of said rule changes and their impact on each trade/club.
The impacted clubs should rightfully be able to request compensation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe it’s time all clubs affected by this rubbish should team up and dump a truckload of manure on the steps of afl house….
A tigers supporter did it in disgust many years ago and although it took a few years, the club seemed to get the message and get their business in order…

Yep- totally ridiculous assertion that clubs should’ve known change was coming and therefore if they are caught out it’s their bad luck. Only makes sense if they also knew what that change would be. Tbh listening to the speed of her response I reckon was a bit of chest beating on her behalf. “We are the afl we can make changes if we want, you should know that” etc
l tend to agree with this, unfortunately Laura Keane does her credibility no good at all with this type of commentary.

l still don't believe the change will be implemented for this draft, if it does change the clubs should bond together and reject this, a good organisation will listen to feedback & common sense.

lt is absolutely comical Laura says the clubs know this is coming, fact is no one knows the details of what it looks like, & clubs have planned on the basis of 2025 implementation.

Last edited:
Lets wait to see what extent of changes are actually going to be introduced, it could be some kind of 'rolling' rule change incurred over several seasons.(which would be fair)

I think the concessions for F/S's and Academies should be equal, maybe producing a pick within 10 of the original bid could work..

There needs to be gradually introduced change, under the current rules, the Northern clubs are draft gangsters.

I am not sure what type of impact people associated with North Melbourne have had on us and the rules around our drafting over the years. I may need to defer to Agro on this matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back