Carlton, Essendon, North - the triumvirate of mediocrity

Remove this Banner Ad

Applying the Occam’s Razor principle (i.e. the simplest explanation is generally the most accurate):

These three teams finished in the Top 4 in both 1999 and 2000.

It was the ‘Millennium Bug’. See - it was real after all…

what hurt us for several years, was we were only allowed to pay 92.5% of the cap. Meanwhile Sydney and Brisbane with COLA were paying the equivalent of 110-120% of the cap. That means they could have 5-10 better players on their list. Not 5-10 extra players, but 5-10 better players because they had the money to pay for it.
Interesting points. Brisbane when they won those flags didn't have cola. More of a retention allowance. Brisbane were fined $250,000 one year for salary cap breaches.

I could understand Swans having cola back in 2005-6 when the Sydney Swans made Grand finals.

It only reared its ugly head when the swans won the flag in 2012 and got buddy Franklin at the end of 2013.

With all teams maximum playing salary cap being 17 million, I can't see the justification of the NSW and Queensland clubs getting cola or an extra 10 percent of the salary cap.

You can justify draftees getting paid $200-$250,000 a year, especially 1st round picks

Carlton, Essendon, North - the triumvirate of mediocrity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back