Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

admittedly it seems like terrible mismanagement.

good thing is clubs can recover from a fumble. I’d rather fumble with a player like owies than a grundy or treloar.

Owies has just come good after being useless for 5 years and Carlton have a major weakness in small forwards.

Cue Carlton: "We've got Durdin, we don't need you any more. F. Off with Kennedy and find a new home".🤣
You've got no idea, Durdin is not Owies replacement Moir is.

All we’ve heard from oppo fans is how much of a spud Owies is and it’s an indictment that he’s our best small fwd. now he’s a gun we can’t afford to lose.

Seriously can’t make this shit up.
It is an indictment he's your best small forward, and that's a big reason as to why this team has never contended.

But... he would be a handy 2nd or 3rd best small forward. Who replaces him?

It is an indictment he's your best small forward, and that's a big reason as to why this team has never contended.

But... he would be a handy 2nd or 3rd best small forward. Who replaces him?

Williams looked great down there when his body held up, think it was 10 goals in 4 games or something.

Moir looks promising - Collingwood fans don't believe in young players stepping up though so don't expect them to understand.

Motlop has ability - was our best pre-season performer until the season became a write off. Punters carry on like he's 27yo and washed up, he's 20yo.

C. Durdin has had moments, his shoulder could be ****ed though. Think he's more of a midfielder but too small for the modern era.

We will find goals, same shit gets said every year when fwds leave. When Fevola left us people were asking where we'd find 80 goals from, then we made the 8 the next year. Troy Menzel was our most promising goalkicker end of 2015 and we surprisingly traded him, managed to kick more goals the next year. Hawks lost Buddy and won more flags. If our coaches & development are any good, we will be fine.

As I said, not the best management but hardly the end of the world.

admittedly it seems like terrible mismanagement.

good thing is clubs can recover from a fumble. I’d rather fumble with a player like owies than a grundy or treloar.
I saw someone liken it to a move made in Moneyball (great movie if anyone hasn't watched it) and I thought it was a brilliant reference. In the movie the general manager of the Oakland As brings in a new player he wants to be played at first base. The coach however sticks with the experienced pro with the runs on the board. GM ends up trading that player forcing the coach to play the new player.

As long as Owies is there he is going to play and we need to go past him with youth and the existing small forwards there. I think Williams showed some great signs there (played forward for 2 months and was our best player in that position). Then you have Fogarty who is probably the best inside 50 pressure player in the comp and a 20-year old Motlop who had an injury-interrupted season. Moir looks a talent as well but probably plays a bit taller than that position.

Williams looked great down there when his body held up, think it was 10 goals in 4 games or something.

Moir looks promising - Collingwood fans don't believe in young players stepping up though so don't expect them to understand.

Motlop has ability - was our best pre-season performer until the season became a write off. Punters carry on like he's 27yo and washed up, he's 20yo.

C. Durdin has had moments, his shoulder could be ****ed though. Think he's more of a midfielder but too small for the modern era.

We will find goals, same shit gets said every year when fwds leave. When Fevola left us people were asking where we'd find 80 goals from, then we made the 8 the next year. Troy Menzel was our most promising goalkicker end of 2015 and we surprisingly traded him, managed to kick more goals the next year. Hawks lost Buddy and won more flags. If our coaches & development are any good, we will be fine.

As I said, not the best management but hardly the end of the world.
This surely has to be one of the posts of the year.

Got to respect your optimism though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond x 2
North x 2

Significantly worse injuries to better Collingwood players.

you barely left the MCG.
you played essendon twice and walked away with 2 points instead of 8.
you were completely carried by N Daicos (and the umps) who didn't miss a game.
you were gifted dodgy wins by the umps vs. north & adelaide.

yet you had 'significantly worse' injuries. you realize we were almost breaking records for the amount of players we had on the injury list, don't you? we had 27 players to pick from in the final game. every bit of evidence shows collingwoods injuries were no way worse than carltons - except some magical one you made up of 'top 15' which literally nobody else uses.

1728887615605.png

seriously how did you guys finish amongst us on the ladder, let alone BELOW us with all of your players being so much better than ours? its wild.
You somehow interpreted a comparison of small forwards as " all Collingwood players being so much better than yours".
It's wild.
And dumb!

This surely has to be one of the posts of the year.

Got to respect your optimism though...

lol someone provides a perfectly sensible rebuttal and you can't bring yourself to engage. sorry for operating on a level you can't comprehend. i dont understand why you don't just go to the bay.

What's he on, something like 900k per year?

I think you would want a bit more than 10 goals in a 4 week span.

terrible signing. 6 years @ $700k-$900k for an ok half-back-flanker turned failed midfielder turned promising small fwd. but we're stuck with him. better than paying him to play somewhere else.

however, if he kicked 10 goals every 4 weeks (2.5 goals a game) then he's a 50+ goal year small fwd. fine by me.

terrible signing. 6 years @ $700k-$900k for an ok half-back-flanker turned failed midfielder turned promising small fwd. but we're stuck with him. better than paying him to play somewhere else.

however, if he kicked 10 goals every 4 weeks (2.5 goals a game) then he's a 50+ goal year small fwd. fine by me.

Thing is though, a 4 week span is not a long enough body of work to fall back on.

If my 18 year old nephew who just started working went to the bank asking for a 50k loan based on the 3 months work he's put in, I'm not sure they are agreeing to it.

Williams turns 30 and has absolutely no standout qualities to suddenly be capable of kicking 50 goals next season.

You have Collingwood contending next year and you have the nerve to talk about our optimism .
Oh boy
Why?

Collingwood have contended for a premiership on 9 separate occasions since Carlton last contended, and won a premiership 13 months ago.

Contending for premierships is what Collingwood do better than any other team in the history of the game.

Thing is though, a 4 week span is not a long enough body of work to fall back on.

If my 18 year old nephew who just started working went to the bank asking for a 50k loan based on the 3 months work he's put in, I'm not sure they are agreeing to it.

Williams turns 30 and has absolutely no standout qualities to suddenly be capable of kicking 50 goals next season.

ok lol. if he played for geelong i'm sure you'd see some potential there as a small fwd. if you want a larger sample size - he averaged 1.5 goals across the 9 games he played down there - and was hardly fit and firing.

any carlton fan will admit it was a poor signing and whatever he is being paid, it's way too much. but i'm not sure what you're expecting us to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back