Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds as though Carlton supporters believe their club is heading in the right direction.

That therefore poses a question...

'I'm which year do you expect to be in a position to genuinely contend for a premiership?'

Who knows?

If we play our best footy we can match it with top 4 - we dealt with Port, Geelong, GWS, Brisbane this year when we were in form. But we don't have the mental capacity to handle external pressure & play to our potential for a full year + a finals series.

I think if it ever clicks for this group it'll be 2026-2027, and I think the club knows this, hence the investment in a bit of young energy.

And yet, despite their inability to regularly get on the park due to injury issues, Collingwood still contended for premierships in 2018 and 2019.

Go figure.

So, you can still contend by making drafting errors?

Whatever point you're trying to make, it's working more in our favor, not yours.

So, you can still contend by making drafting errors?

Whatever point you're trying to make, it's working more in our favor, not yours.
All clubs make mistakes and have bad luck with drafting and trading.

But you need the right list profile and balance to mitigate any mistakes and bad luck.

This is where the likes of Collingwood excel, and the likes of Carlton struggle.

All clubs make mistakes and have bad luck with drafting and trading.

But you need the right list profile and balance to mitigate any mistakes and bad luck.

This is where the likes of Collingwood excel, and the likes of Carlton struggle.
You are just throwing around jargon that actually is meaningless without backing it up. List balance/profile in what sense?

My god this is so dumb.

'lets refrain from ever going to the draft because the previous regime picked some bad players in that one draft!1!1!"

You recruited Treloar & Grundy then had to pay them to play elsewhere because you stuffed it up so bad, yet you're still out here throwing away money and picks for players. Schultz is looking shaky too.
An untried kid used with Schultz’s’ pick would be riskier.
The Treloar and Grundy is surprising to Carl supporters only because Coll chooses to respect the Cap rules.
Unlike Carlton with a history of multiple breaches and the heaviest sanctions ever imposed by the AFL.
Anything else?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Treloar and Grundy is surprising to Carl supporters only because Coll chooses to respect the Cap rules.
Unlike Carlton with a history of multiple breaches and the heaviest sanctions accordingly.
Anything else?
‘Don’t draft kids coz it’s a risk’.

What a rubbish way to run a footy club.

You are just throwing around jargon that actually is meaningless without backing it up. List balance/profile in what sense?
In the sense I've been talking about for 5 years in relation to Carlton.

Your team probably has the best top 5 players in the competition, hence why a lot of people get seduced by Carlton every year.

But it's not basketball we're playing, it's AFL football.

Once you get past Carlton's top 12, the talent drops away very quickly.

On top of that, Carlton have historically carried far too many injury prone players (though have delisted a couple of these after 2024, so a step in the right direction on this front).

Finally, versatility is the key - players who can play multiple positions to cover for injuries. Again, an area where Carlton are lacking.

Nothing I haven't shared before, and really quite simple when you know what it takes to build a list to set your team up to contend for a premiership.

Unlike Carlton with a history of multiple breaches and the heaviest sanctions accordingly.
Anything else?
Collingwood have breached before. Next....

Your team probably has the best top 5 players in the competition, hence why a lot of people get seduced by Carlton every year.
So Nick isn't even in the top 5 players of the competition now. My God, this is next level of brilliance from old mate.

If we happen to select the next superstar of the competition is it still going to be a mistake? Pies logic 💩
If they're an immediate superstar and can have an impact whilst Cripps is still playing at his current level, it will be a great get.

But players like Nick Daicos, Joel Selwood and Chris Judd don't grow on trees...

But it's not basketball we're playing, it's AFL football.

Once you get past Carlton's top 12, the talent drops away very quickly.

On top of that, Carlton have historically carried far too many injury prone players (though have delisted a couple of these after 2024, so a step in the right direction on this front).

Finally, versatility is the key - players who can play multiple positions to cover for injuries. Again, an area where Carlton are lacking.

Nothing I haven't shared before, and really quite simple when you know what it takes to build a list to set your team up to contend for a premiership.
  • You not rating certain Carlton players is not evidence.
  • We have taken steps to remove injury prone players and improve the strength and conditioning department.
  • We have discussed versatility on Carlton's list before and I actually went through and listed all the positions players that can play and there was more than enough.

• You not rating certain Carlton players is not evidence.
  • We have taken steps to remove injury prone players and improve the strength and conditioning department.
  • We have discussed versatility on Carlton's list before and I actually went through and listed all the positions players that can play and there was more than enough.
You obviously disagree with my assessment.

Why then do Carlton continue to fail to contend for premierships?

‘Don’t draft kids coz it’s a risk’.

What a rubbish way to run a footy club.
Like I’ve said before we use picks to get Guns like Houston.
We have a track record over the last 20 years of Final, Top4, PF’s, GF’s and flags.
You’ve wasted picks for 20 years picked duds and rewarded them with wooden spoons.
When it comes to List Management strategy, Coll’s superiority compared to Carl is beyond question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back