Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If they're an immediate superstar and can have an impact whilst Cripps is still playing at his current level, it will be a great get.

But players like Nick Daicos, Joel Selwood and Chris Judd don't grow on trees...

No, but 1st year players dominating is becoming more and more common.

10 years ago clubs would draft a gun mid and start them in the backline to ease them in, now it’s full steam ahead straight away. In the past few years we’ve had blokes like Daicos, JHF, Reid, Sheezel, Jackson, Ashcroft (if he didn’t do his acl), become some of the best players in the comp before turning 21.

No, but 1st year players dominating is becoming more and more common.

10 years ago clubs would draft a gun mid and start them in the backline to ease them in, now it’s full steam ahead straight away. In the past few years we’ve had blokes like Daicos, JHF, Reid, Sheezel, Jackson, Ashcroft (if he didn’t do his acl), become some of the best players in the comp before turning 21.
Those players are the exception, not the rule.

You've listed 6 players from 4 separate drafts.

An untried kid used with Schultz’s’ pick would be riskier.
The Treloar and Grundy is surprising to Carl supporters only because Coll chooses to respect the Cap rules.
Unlike Carlton with a history of multiple breaches and the heaviest sanctions ever imposed by the AFL.
Anything else?

Clubs fined for exceeding the salary cap in 1998: Collingwood (fined $47,500 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft)
Clubs fined for exceeding the salary cap in 2012: Collingwood (fined $20,000)

Glass houses.

So Carlton recruit a cooked 32 year old key defender then lose their best small forward, then lose a quality midfielder, then trade 2 first rounders for one.

Can one of you Bloosers explain to me how that makes you a better team?

Last edited:
So Carlton recruit a cooked 32 year old key defender then lose their best small forward, then lose a quality midfielder, then trade 2 first rounders for one.

Can the one of you Bloosers explain to me how that makes you a better team?

Can you explain why you weren't interested in our best small forward and quality midfielder, considering your best and quality in those positions are close to nursing home age?

Can the one of you Bloosers explain to me how that makes you a better team?
They've obviously got big plans for their Pick 4, given their next pick is in the 30's, and they've traded out their first and second round picks for next year...

But it's all good - Carlton players have consistently shown they deal well with pressure.

Clubs fined for exceeding the salary cap in 1998: Collingwood (fined $47,500 and excluded from the 1999 pre-season draft)
Clubs fined for exceeding the salary cap in 2012: Collingwood (fined $20,000)

Glass houses.
I never said Coll didn’t have breaches, but I did say Carlton were far worse and with the heaviest penalties.
Just to refresh your memory and the unparalleled cheating by your club - from Wiki.

“In 2002, Carlton were fined an AFL and Australian sporting record $987,500 and forfeited their priority picks in the 2002 National Draft, their first and second round picks in the 2003 and 2004 National Draft and were excluded from the 2003 pre-season draft after an AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totaling $1.37 million between 1998 and 2001; ruckman Matthew Allan was suspended for five matches and fined $10,000 for accepting undisclosed payments from club officials. Carlton struggled for seven years as it recovered both on and off the field from these significant penalties, finishing no higher than 11th in 2004 and winning their first-ever wooden spoons in 2002, 2005 and 2006.”

Anything else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to refresh your memory and the unparalleled cheating by your club - from Wiki.

“In 2002, Carlton were fined an AFL and Australian sporting record $987,500 and forfeited their priority picks in the 2002 National Draft, their first and second round picks in the 2003 and 2004 National Draft and were excluded from the 2003 pre-season draft after an AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totaling $1.37 million between 1998 and 2001; ruckman Matthew Allan was suspended for five matches and fined $10,000 for accepting undisclosed payments from club officials. Carlton struggled for seven years as it recovered both on and off the field from these significant penalties, finishing no higher than 11th in 2004 and winning their first-ever wooden spoons in 2002, 2005 and 2006.”

Anything else?
Wiki needs to be updated - change 'seven years' to '20 years and counting'.

Can you explain why you weren't interested in our best small forward and quality midfielder, considering your best and quality in those positions are close to nursing home age?
Well I think 24 year old Norm Smith medalist Bobby Hill, 23 year old Beau McReery, 20 year old Harvey Harrison, 21 year old Nick Daicos would wonder what the F you're on about.

So back to my question. Any answer? Or just more lame deflection?

They've obviously got big plans for their Pick 4, given their next pick is in the 30's, and they've traded out their first and second round picks for next year...
Oh yeah I forgot they traded out their first and second from next year🤣. Ouch!

Its a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them.

Worrying about 2025 draft picks? My goodness. 🙄
Carlton's big strategy now is to go to the draft, now that their salary cap is bursting at the seams.

However, 'going to the draft' means trading all your draft picks for two years, to get a single pick as high as you possibly can, in a year where there are no clear standouts, and the top 10 to 15 players as even as they ever have been.

My goodness.

Worrying about 2025 draft picks? My goodness. 🙄
So you've lost your best small forward and a good midfielder, you've lost your first rounder and second rounder for next year; and you've gained pick 3.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Worst trade weeke EVER!

At this point it's almost inevitable that you will draft a spud at pick 3. You know it's coming!

Carlton's big strategy now is to go to the draft, now that their salary cap is bursting at the seams.

However, 'going to the draft' means trading all your draft picks for two years, to get a single pick as high as you possibly can, in a year where there are no clear standouts, and the top 10 to 15 players as even as they ever have been.

My goodness.

I think I'd rather a club with a good sense of balance. Thinking of both now and the future.

Addressing holes, easing that "salary cap bursting at the seams", investing in one of these 10 to 15 players as well as banking points for father sons.

Compared to...

An ageing list, who tries so hard to imitate Geelong. Glaring forward and key back deficiencies, instead throwing all their investments on half-back flankers and sacrificing their future before heavily compromised drafts and an incoming expansion team engulfing much of the future talent.

I know which strategy I'd prefer.

Last edited:
I think I'd rather a club with a good sense of balance. Thinking of both now and the future.

Addressing holes, easing that "slaray cap bursting at the seams", investing in one of these 10 to 15 players as well as banking points for father sons.

Compared to...

An ageing list, who tries so hard to imitate Geelong. Glaring forward and key back deficiencies, instead throwing all their investments on half-back flankers and sacrificing their future before heavily compromised drafts and an incoming expansion team engulfing much of the future talent.

One of those clubs to which you refer hasn't contended for a flag in more than two decades and that doesn't appear to be changing any time soon based on the results of this trade period.

The other club has contended as often as they haven't over the same timeframe, and has positioned themselves well to do so again in 2025 based on the results of this trade period.

So you've lost your best small forward and a good midfielder, you've lost your first rounder and second rounder for next year; and you've gained pick 3.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Worst trade weeke EVER!

At this point it's almost inevitable that you will draft a spud at pick 3. You know it's coming!
Uh-huh! Sure! Go off Mr. Crystal Ball.

Got to give something to get something. That is how trading works.

Can't be labelling them 'best small forward' and 'good midfielder' when all you lot do is talk smack about them.

If they were what you claimed to be, your beloved filth would've (or at the very least should've) been all over them, as they fill two of a few of your team's most desperate needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back