Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Haynes was at the same level, he would have been playing consistently at the level.

Why?

GWS defence comprises of Taylor and Buckley as the talls, and then a mix of others including Idun, Ash, Whitfield etc.

Arguably the most "set" defence in the comp.

Howe wouldnt get a game in that team, not a chance in the world.

I had to chuckle at the 'analysis' in today's Herald-Sun.

Apparently Carlton, by going to the draft - and by 'going to the draft' Carlton have pick 4 in this year's draft and no other picks lower than the mid 30's for the 2024 and 2025 drafts - they have extended their premiership window.

Um.... don't you have to be in a premiership window in the first place in order to extend it?
Pick 3 get it right.

The holes arent limited to either end.

Both forward and backlines for Collingwood are a long way from being elite in 2025.

This is what will hold them back.
Multiple avenues to goal and elite conversion per I50 means we have plenty of goal kicking power.
Murphy was a big loss but our defence is still far better than Carlton’s, and virtually every other team.

You know full well this is a false equivalence.

Giants back 4 is Buckley, Taylor, Himmelberg and Idun - the best back 4 in the game. Very tough to break into.

Who exactly is going to keep Howe out of the team at that level? You have Moore and Quaynor as your only real locks for tall/mid-sized defenders. Howe is competing with the likes of Dean and Frampton.
Think you'll find no less than 8 sides conceded fewer points than GWS this season, so it's not levels above the rest.

You'll also find Haynes fell out of the best side roughly at the halfway point of last year, being subbed on or off more times than not after the bye. This is also when GWS elevated and became a very good side. Their W-L record whilst Haynes was part of their best back line was poor.

You would all be celebrating now if you'd picked him up. Now he's a dud.
This is Bigfooty mate, if we had of picked him up you blokes would be saying he's a dud, Carlton didn't want him.

If a team had a gulf of half back flankers, Houston would be pretty handy on a wing, or on ball/half forward.

Or get one of your lesser half back flankers to play a different role.

It's not often clubs get the opportunity to bring in dual All-Australians in the prime of their careers...
29 in April, i suppose Pies needed some young blood.

Sorry. Forgot to quote .Responding to Addamania9.

Your first paragraph is correct.
Do you think that the modern youngsters being drafted are better prepared these days for the AFL jump? I do. They are conditioned better prior to being drafted so yes I do believe the right high draft pick can come in and have immediate impact.
Your last paragraph is just speculation.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sorry. Missed the bit about your talent. Again. Speculation. Seen nothing from any of em so far to suggest otherwise. Oh, and I am WA footy fan. Lived here my entire life. Allan? Dad was ok? Is he? Haven't seen anything yet suggesting other. Why haven't these young guys being played. If they are good enough they should get games.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think you'll find no less than 8 sides conceded fewer points than GWS this season, so it's not levels above the rest.

You'll also find Haynes fell out of the best side roughly at the halfway point of last year, being subbed on or off more times than not after the bye. This is also when GWS elevated and became a very good side. Their W-L record whilst Haynes was part of their best back line was poor.
Because team defence is not just on those four players it's on all 22. Once again for Haynes to play he needs to displace Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg or Idun which isn't happening as they are all better players. Howe needs to compete with Frampton and Dean for a spot in that back 6. Argue Howe is better than Haynes if that's what you believe but your evidence cannot be number of games they played for their respective teams this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?

GWS defence comprises of Taylor and Buckley as the talls, and then a mix of others including Idun, Ash, Whitfield etc.

Arguably the most "set" defence in the comp.

Howe wouldnt get a game in that team, not a chance in the world.
Even at the age of 34, Howe's average playing rating was higher than Haynes has had since 2016. Was this bloke really AA?

Because team defence is not just on those four players it's on all 22. Once again for Haynes to play he needs to displace Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg or Idun which isn't happening as they are all better players. Howe needs to compete with Frampton and Dean for a spot in that back 6. Argue Howe is better than Haynes if that's what you believe but your evidence cannot be number of games they played for their respective teams this season.
I've provided more evidence than that

Not with blue goggles on.

Saad going backwards, he was no different to Noble in 2024, except Noble is improving and Saad regressing.

You have a 32 year old Newman, expect him to have another top5 finish in the BnF in 2025.

Thankfully, Pies realise the importance ot rebound and scoring from half back so brought in the best HBF in the game.
Do you want to talk about age of players mate?

Houston will just bang through goals himself on the run from outside 50.

Pies also value having a spread of goal kickers, and mids who can hurt...unlike Carlton who just rely on Harry and Charlie (who goes missing in finals).
Pies went missing from finals this year.

Multiple avenues to goal and elite conversion per I50 means we have plenty of goal kicking power.
Murphy was a big loss but our defence is still far better than Carlton’s, and virtually every other team.
Yep you were the best team outside the 8 this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back