Game Day Carlton Reserves Game Day Discussion Rnds 2 - 19

Remove this Banner Ad

I only noticed it with him, but ill take ya word on it
To a point they all do it. Sometimes it doesn't look great but does happen. Quite often it's not necessarily about him not getting the ball itself but the way they want to move the ball.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Only watched the first Q and didn’t spot Kemp. Did he play?
Think he had just the 2 disposals in the first quarter or so, ramped up as the game went along. Played key defender, something new for him at the level.

who is no.30 for us? feel like hes slower than some of us here
Parsons, as others have noted. Quick off the mark, bit of an awkward style for covering territory economical though.

Just looked back at the stream for the Mirkov injury. Centre bounce at 13:15 in the 1st qtr. Right knee buckles under him, looks bad.
1624086309165.png

Think you might have that wrong: knee held, ankle buckled.

Reading the reports here it seems Levi and Murph are suited to this level now.

SPS has undoubted talent and anyone with age and talent on their side should be retained. Same goes for Carroll and Honey.

A positive day it seems.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
A lot of harsh reports on Murphy and Levi, and some mixed ones with SPS. SPS' acceleration was there in limited flashes and he was definitely trying to cover a lot of ground, but more work needs to be done on him from the perspective of his high-speed running.

Geez Carroll looked quality. Was thinking of a “type” comparison during the game. Let’s hope he is more Pendle than Menzel.

The Menzels never showed anything like that in terms of agility and acceleration.

To a point they all do it. Sometimes it doesn't look great but does happen. Quite often it's not necessarily about him not getting the ball itself but the way they want to move the ball.

Agree the pouting does not look good, but on the flip side good teams reward teammates running. If you have made the effort and run to good position it is reasonable to expect to be used.
Far too often our senior players are prepared to use our kids as a distraction for a baulk and easy kick (looking at you Doc and Murph amongst others). Small wonder these kids get low on confidence when their own teammates don’t use them.

It looked like Kemp was matched up against Paddy Kerr in the second half. Certainly kept him quiet if that was the case.
Yep, he was Kerr's opponent when Kerr was playing forward in the 2nd half & he kept him goalless. Perhaps he will be able emulate Kouta in playing as a KP player as well as being a star midfielder.

Yep, he was Kerr's opponent when Kerr was playing forward in the 2nd half & he kept him goalless. Perhaps he will be able emulate Kouta in playing as a KP player as well as being a star midfielder.
Would be very nice if he could do that occasionally. I would much prefer him to be the star mid all the time :D

I would go a bit further into the alphabet for a J.

Footage at the end of the game had him on crutches with a pressure bandage on his knee and I couldn't see his ankle. But the pressure bandage suggests a PCL or an LCL the way his knee twisted as he went over on his ankle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree the pouting does not look good, but on the flip side good teams reward teammates running. If you have made the effort and run to good position it is reasonable to expect to be used.
Far too often our senior players are prepared to use our kids as a distraction for a baulk and easy kick (looking at you Doc and Murph amongst others). Small wonder these kids get low on confidence when their own teammates don’t use them.

Great point I don’t think I’ve seen much on this board, at least as it refers to an ongoing issue.

Was (sadly) able to see in person vs the swans how many good options - mostly the younger players, and in that game often by Murphy from memory - were ignored for a hit and hope to an outnumbered contest. I’m very ok with judicious use of high risk/high reward plays, but often we’re just snaking around the boundary or sending it wide for high risk/low reward.

Reflects a real lack of faith in the younger brigade from the older guys, which is pretty much unacceptable - we’re obviously never going to consistently win games if a third of the team have to work twice as hard for the uncontested ball

Thought it was mentioned he had the knee in a compression bandage, assumed he did both.
The way that picture looks, it looks like he has done both. The ankle twisting under him possibly contributing to the knee injury. Either way... it's not looking good.

I would rate the overall team performance today a 6/10.

It was disappointing to see Port having more numbers around the ball for most of the first 3 quarters. Our work effort was underwhelming, to say the least. I was also disappointed in the way our forwards, in particular Parsons & Wooller, were often caught behind their opponents.

I was pleased that Murphy didn't drop his head like I've seen a number of our experienced players do when dropped to the reserves in the past decade.

SPS worries me. For a player whose greatest asset is his kicking, this aspect of his game is letting him down too often. He is really at the crossroads at the moment.

I was excited by Carroll's game after quarter time. He has some real tricks up his sleeve & he is a tough nut. He got us rolling early in the last quarter with some important centre clearances. A couple more weeks like this & he will be knocking on the door of senior selection.

Boyd started off reasonably well. He is definitely a good user of the ball & he has a bit of agro in him. He'll just need to learn how to use it wisely.

Credit to Honey for hitting the scoreboard in a game which he otherwise struggled to get into. It's a good sign when you can come away from an average game with 3 goals.

On today's game, LOB is a long way off senior selection. He seems to be in no man's land at the moment.

On the basis of today's performance, no-one really said to the selectors that they must be selected next week. If Carroll had a few more games under his belt, his performance today would have put him before the selectors.

We are really going to have to nail the draft & trade period this year if we are going to take reasonable steps forward.

I would rate the overall team performance today a 6/10.

It was disappointing to see Port having more numbers around the ball for most of the first 3 quarters. Our work effort was underwhelming, to say the least. I was also disappointed in the way our forwards, in particular Parsons & Wooller, were often caught behind their opponents.

I was pleased that Murphy didn't drop his head like I've seen a number of our experienced players do when dropped to the reserves in the past decade.

SPS worries me. For a player whose greatest asset is his kicking, this aspect of his game is letting him down too often. He is really at the crossroads at the moment.

I was excited by Carroll's game after quarter time. He has some real tricks up his sleeve & he is a tough nut. He got us rolling early in the last quarter with some important centre clearances. A couple more weeks like this & he will be knocking on the door of senior selection.

Boyd started off reasonably well. He is definitely a good user of the ball & he has a bit of agro in him. He'll just need to learn how to use it wisely.

Credit to Honey for hitting the scoreboard in a game which he otherwise struggled to get into. It's a good sign when you can come away from an average game with 3 goals.

On today's game, LOB is a long way off senior selection. He seems to be in no man's land at the moment.

On the basis of today's performance, no-one really said to the selectors that they must be selected next week. If Carroll had a few more games under his belt, his performance today would have put him before the selectors.

We are really going to have to nail the draft & trade period this year if we are going to take reasonable steps forward.
Dow, SPS and LOB both seem to be struck by the same issue. Their kicking skills which were all elite at junior level have disappeared over the last couple of years. We see patches of what their kicking was like occasionally, but all too often we see them going for short kicks instead of using their kicks as weapons to open up the opposition.

I am going to disagree with you on Murphy. In the first half, he definitely dropped his head and was playing like he was just there collect a paycheque. He must have gotten a bit of a bake at half time because he came out and played like it meant something to him.

The other dance move by Carroll and class from Honey.View attachment 1158800
e44e1c6a59cf30fc55a24de9a9077759.gif

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Carroll seems to have that terrific left footer’s trait of moving in a way that wrong foots everyone and buys him time. Great signs from a bottom ager in their first year to have a performance like that. He could be an excellent complement to Cripps and Dow/Walsh in the centre clearances in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I call it “having the Thorntons”.

ACL bad?

The only good thing was that he wasn't in a brace and on crutches. Could be one of an PCL, MCL, or LCL. With a bit of luck it's just a grade one tear and not a grade 3, and he will be back in a couple of weeks with some heavy strapping on his knee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Carlton Reserves Game Day Discussion Rnds 2 - 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back