Game Day Carlton Reserves Game Day Discussion Rnds 2 - 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Dow, SPS and LOB both seem to be struck by the same issue. Their kicking skills which were all elite at junior level have disappeared over the last couple of years. We see patches of what their kicking was like occasionally, but all too often we see them going for short kicks instead of using their kicks as weapons to open up the opposition.

I am going to disagree with you on Murphy. In the first half, he definitely dropped his head and was playing like he was just there collect a paycheque. He must have gotten a bit of a bake at half time because he came out and played like it meant something to him.
I am going to disagree on Murphy. In the first half he had involvement in at least 3 of our goals. In fact I would say his first 3 quarters were very good. He fell away in the last.

SPS' kicking issues come from him trying to be too 'cute' & also preferring to take a short option instead of kicking long. This was best exemplified in the 3rd quarter when he ran inside 50 & instead of having a shot for goal, he tried to pass the ball to a teammate 15-20 metres away who was under pressure. The ball was turned over as a result.

I am going to disagree with you on Murphy. In the first half, he definitely dropped his head and was playing like he was just there collect a paycheque. He must have gotten a bit of a bake at half time because he came out and played like it meant something to him.
I only saw the final quarter, so obviously can’t comment on the full game. I would be very confident suggesting murph had less than 2 touches in the first 20 minutes of the last quarter. If I was betting how many, I’d actually say zero but may have missed a quick one or two. He got a few junk time touches once the game was over though. If he was better in the final quarter than he was in the first half, he definitely shouldn’t be listed in the bests. Note: not suggesting he wasn’t good, just can’t have been bad in the first half, last quarter and still in the bests.

Loved what I saw from honey and Carroll though. Samo looked pretty good too. Casboult great in the last.

I only saw the final quarter, so obviously can’t comment on the full game. I would be very confident suggesting murph had less than 2 touches in the first 20 minutes of the last quarter. If I was betting how many, I’d actually say zero but may have missed a quick one or two. He got a few junk time touches once the game was over though. If he was better in the final quarter than he was in the first half, he definitely shouldn’t be listed in the bests. Note: not suggesting he wasn’t good, just can’t have been bad in the first half, last quarter and still in the bests.

Loved what I saw from honey and Carroll though. Samo looked pretty good too. Casboult great in the last.
Absolutely matched my assessment of the last quarter. I think that someone said to Levi, if you can't get off the ground, just go through them... and he did.

I've been a fan of Honey since I found the streaming channels for the VFL this year and have been watching it. After Owies kicked 6 goals in 3 games in the VFL, I knew there was something special there. And then the Brisbane game made me a fan of Honey. Should have 4 goals that game, but lacked the confidence in his kicking on one and handed it off... then he kicked a harder shot than the one he handed off... and instead of taking a snap, he once again did the team thing and handed off to someone else.

Right now, if Murphy wants back into the senior squad... he has to be better than Carroll and Honey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Casboult rubbed out:

The vision:

These are the ones that I struggle with, because in a way he's being punished for being taller.

Arm was braced and wasn't thrown or lifted, and it just wound up being the opposition player had his head out enough to hit flush against the top of Levi's shoulder, instead of both of them taking body contact first.

Is Levi not allowed to shepherd? He even stepped further outside of him to minimise body contact.

Last edited:
The other dance move by Carroll and class from Honey.View attachment 1158800
e44e1c6a59cf30fc55a24de9a9077759.gif

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Gee that’s a sight for sore (Carlton) eyes

These are the ones that I struggle with, because in a way he's being punished for being taller.

Arm was braced and wasn't thrown or lifted, and it just wound up being the opposition player had his head out enough to hit flush against the top of Levi's shoulder, instead of both of them taking body contact first.

Is Levi not allowed to shepherd? He even stepped further outside of him to minimise body contact.

True, does the right team thing and sheppards and then gets punished for being taller.

vfl-CFC-96-COMM20-Game-Day-Hub-Assets-Match-Details-1-.png

Round 12 team
Backs:Cooper StephensStefan RadovanovicRyley Stoddart
Half-backs:Brodie KempLuke ParksSam Ramsay
Centreline:Matt CottrellLochie O'BrienTom North
Half-forwards:Joel TrudgeonToby WoollerJosh Honey
Forwards:Corey DurdinBen CrockerDavid Handley
Followers:Luke GoetzJack CarrollJames Parsons
Interchange:Dale MarshallMatt ShannonZavier Maher
Cody Hirst
Emergency:Lachlan GawelLachlan BondBen Caluzzi
Aaron Gundry

Zavier Maher making an appearance, but between the injuries and suspension, there's at most 7 listed players rocking up for this one.

E5V-ujmVgAEUYLY

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Carlton Reserves Game Day Discussion Rnds 2 - 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back