Carlton skipper 'meant no malice'

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Offsiders he was roundly condemned, as were the Ch 7 commentary team who were described as ''clueless'' for failing to grasp the seriousness of the incident.

Gerard Waightley (sp?) reckons it's not an MRP issue (no MRP guidelines). He said it should go straight to the Tribun(er)al and Judd should plead guilty and take his medicine.

Gideon Haigh said Judd seems to mistake his invincilbility for some sort of immunity (or words to this effect).

Offsiders on ABC unanimously said it was appalling, the 7 commentary was a disgrace, it has no place in the game and (Whateley) said Judd should do the decent thing, plead guilty and accept what's coming.

Two defences Judd's peopple are running in the media - it was a brain fade, and that it was deliberate but reasonable to stop Adams handballing. The arguments are completely contradictory and hopefully neither carries any weight where it counts. Bruce and Dennis happily do not run the AFL's disciplinary system, neither do BF Carlton supporters, many of whom are being ludicrous in their defense of him.

I for one won't defend him. It was a stupid thing to do and deserves a suspension.

The thing that annoys me, is it isn't so much Carlton supporters in general, but the media and opposition supporters who portray Carlton as believing he is a messiah. I have stated for years, he is just like any other footballer. He has a dodgy kick, has lost a yard of pace, and is an awful shot for goal. All that aside he 'was' a great player, but now he is run of the mill a grader, can split a game open and win it off his own boot, but is no better then the other 15 a grade talent out there. The only players who we can honestly say are heads and shoulders above the rest in their respective positions are Buddy and Ablett.

Lucky for Adams is that Judd didn't use excessive force when wrenching the arm or it could have been nasty, it was still terrible, but could have been much worse

The very fact he feels the need to apologise to Adams, inform us all he's shattered, remind us of his injury history, leak his emotional state to the media (there was numerous leaks from 'sources close to Judd' to journalists yesterday) is the most blatant admission of guilt you will see from a footballer.

Add to that the obvious shock of experienced and respected, neutral personalities recently out of the game like Malthouse, Harley, and so on.

It was a dog act, he knows it. It's also a reflection on his character and for a club captain to do something like that gives us some insight into the character of the club and the reasons why it underachieves

The very fact he feels the need to apologise to Adams, inform us all he's shattered, remind us of his injury history, leak his emotional state to the media (there was numerous leaks from 'sources close to Judd' to journalists yesterday) is the most blatant admission of guilt you will see from a footballer.

Add to that the obvious shock of experienced and respected, neutral personalities recently out of the game like Malthouse, Harley, and so on.

It was a dog act, he knows it. It's also a reflection on his character and for a club captain to do something like that gives us some insight into the character of the club and the reasons why it underachieves

So that reflects on the entirety of the CFC? And what character are you referring too, the one that has won 16 premierships and deserves to have an aura about, or the recent failings due to salary cap breaches?

An action of one does not give an insight on the character of a club, If it did, I could call you all snipers for Ziebell's high hit on a player who was looking at the ball, but I won't.

The stop him handballing defence should add weeks to his sentence for insulting the football community not get him off.

Next we will have Shuey saying he elbowed someone in the balls to stop him chasing.

Barry Hall will make a comeback and king hit blokes to stop them spoiling.

So that reflects on the entirety of the CFC? And what character are you referring too, the one that has won 16 premierships and deserves to have an aura about, or the recent failings due to salary cap breaches?

An action of one does not give an insight on the character of a club, If it did, I could call you all snipers for Ziebell's high hit on a player who was looking at the ball, but I won't.

You need to expand on your historical research.

He doesn't just hold the arm, if you look closely you can see that Judd applies that much force that he lifts Adams off the ground.

He lifts it and tries to bend it around Adam's back at one point.

F***ing disgusting. You can only imagine the outrage if it was Murphy on the ground instead.

We'll get a better insight into his character if he gets charged. Will he plead guilty or try to BS his way out of trouble?

What will his Club advise him to do? Another interesting issue.

Whether you like it or not, your captains actions do reflect on the club. And as you brought it up, any semi recent premierships of yours don't have any aura about them, they have the stink of a club lacking in character about them due to your salary cap breaches.

I was referring to your clubs current lack of leadership and underachieving in Judd's time, the players haven't done much to help Ratten out and this is another example. At least Collingwood won a premiership when they tanked. Carlton have as much aura (whatever that is) as Melbourne do.

He doesn't just hold the arm, if you look closely you can see that Judd applies that much force that he lifts Adams off the ground.

It's interesting that our 3 boys all react at exactly the same time. They're prepared to put up with Judd holding Patch's arm but as soon as he starts putting on the moves they're into it.

Judd could have come up with a much better defence then that. Why didn't he say he was trying to hold Adams arm so that he could get a holding the ball decision for Adams not attempting to get the ball out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And probably the most sickening thing out if is that judd gets a bloody free kick out of it

Well that just shows:

(1) how dumb and unaware the umpires are (note: Swallow, McMillan and Tarrant seem to be aware of exactly what's going on!) and

(2) how much the umpires love their Juddy.

I hope Judd runs the "stopping the handball" defence, please, please run that defence.

Judd's sentence will go from 1-2 to 3-4.

on second thought juddy says he was actually trying to help patch regain his feet from being pinned under carazzo to contest the next ball up :rolleyes:

Like those two great warriors Stevo and Garry Hocking used to do a few years back? In other words, it was an act of friendship. I like it. Another possible defence for David Grace to use.

He could also run the ''comes from a broken home'' defence or the ''educated by the Christian Brothers'' defence. They are about as credible as anything I've heard so far (except for the ''helping hand of friendship'' defence of course).

Think he will get off, purely for being the AFL equivalent of the protected Galapagos tortoise......but should get weeks and hopefully i'm wrong.

ps: His Mrs is a great unit, but **** me the crosses on TV every time Judd does something on the field are annoying. Made the win even sweeter actually :thumbsu:

If he was holding his arm. No problem.
But to hold it, yank it back and then twist??

Which step did he realise he meant no malice??
F***wit. Hope he gets a month.

What about the supposed rule of " if you hold the ball in or don't allow the ball out, you will get penalised? I know we were penalised for it on Friday night for not allowing the ball to come out in another incident so I wonder if his stupid defence will back fire on him.

So the Age basically represents the act as being reportable but because of lack of malice no lengthy sentence should be served. Ok, that's fine if that's their view. But pity they didn't have they same opinion towards the other chicken scandal (Boris!) in the AFL, no malice in that yet the Age believed Adam Simpson would be reincarnated as the Devil.

The last week vs West Coast has put us in a position where it is difficult to come out and say anything. Petrie did, but Scott and the officials won't dare to say a word about it. I don't think it matters either that Judd apologised, Wellingham admitted on Game Day that he couldn't concentrate after the hit on Simpson because he felt like shit for doing it, and went up to Simpson after the game. Who cares if you apologise, apologies don't make heal injuries quicker and if you look at some players in the past off field (Carey, Fev, Cousins) they sure as hell don't mean anything.

Think he will get off, purely for being the AFL equivalent of the protected Galapagos tortoise......but should get weeks and hopefully i'm wrong.

ps: His Mrs is a great unit, but **** me the crosses on TV every time Judd does something on the field are annoying. Made the win even sweeter actually :thumbsu:
Have too feel sorry for channel 7 in that situation. Hampson out pretty much left them without a crowd strategy. Bec to the rescue!

Well that just shows:

(1) how dumb and unaware the umpires are (note: Swallow, McMillan and Tarrant seem to be aware of exactly what's going on!) and

(2) how much the umpires love their Juddy.

Na, in this case the umpire had no choice. It was clearly a ball up, so the umpire could pick that from a mile away. But by the time the umpire is close enough to the contest to have seen what's happened, Judd has already been tackled by the ground by Swallow (without the ball and after the whistle has blown-I was proud of Swallow and him throwing Judd was more then justified, but that's only from a different angle and with the help of replays, luxuries the umpire does not have). I think the same decision would be paid 100% of the time with different umpires and different players (but same scenario in terms of where umpire was standing). They can't see everything.

And probably the most sickening thing out if is that judd gets a bloody free kick out of it

That or Cometti laughing at it whilst it happens and them avoiding describing what happened.

Pathetic and I think our club has a right to feel insulted by their reaction and request an explanation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton skipper 'meant no malice'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back