Autopsy Carlton v St. Kilda - 85 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw the replay (finally)... I should have watched it yesterday when I got home from my trip away... but I finally got to watch it this morning.

There was a concerted effort all over the ground from the boys... and I reckon that with Menzel and Johnston we have our medium sized forwards sewn up :D

I don't know much about Blaine Johnson but he seems like he's a good size and moves with high intensity. I am never really sure what to make of this concept of medium sized forwards. For mine you always have the need of your KPF along with your small, elusive forwards doing the crumbing. Menzel seems to be one of those enigmatic types who plays that medium sized forward role who can present well on the lead, get up in the air a bit to take a grab but also is able to do the crumbing efforts of a small forward. I don't know what we expect from Johnson. Are we anticipating seeing him and Menzel rotate through the midfield and swapping with each other through the forward line. Is he potentially capable of doing all these things. Certainly seems to be quick enough to make the leads, but not so much a crumber as a guy who might be able to use his body inside 50 to lock the ball in with his chasing abilities. This is only on my first impression. Even though hes keeping Waite out of the side you an't see him as a replacement to him, unless of course we are looking to revamp the way we do things going forward because I don't expect hes going to be able to take a high flying grab or a strong pack mark.

Anyone able to shed some light on what his role has been in the reserves and what we could reasonably expect his role in the side to become?

Last edited:
Mick in his video said a number of players had last minute fitness tests and all passed (obviously given there were no late changes). Reckon Gibbs is one.

I don't know much about Blaine Johnson but he seems like he's a good size and moves with high intensity. I am never really sure what to make of this concept of medium sized forwards. For mine you always have the need of your KPF along with your small, elusive forwards doing the crumbing. Menzel seems to be one of those enigmatic types who plays that medium sized forward role who can present well on the lead, get up in the air a bit to take a grab but also is able to do the crumbing efforts of a small forward. I don't know what we expect from Johnson. Are we anticipating seeing him and Menzel rotate through the midfield and swapping with each other through the forward line. Is he potentially capable of doing all these things. Certainly seems to be quick enough to make the leads, but not so much a crumber as a guy who might be able to use his body inside 50 to lock the ball in with his chasing abilities. This is only on my first impression. Even though hes keeping Waite out of the side you an't see him as a replacement to him, unless of course we are looking to revamp the way we do things going forward because I don't expect hes going to be able to take a high flying grab or a strong pack mark.

Anyone able to shed some light on what his role has been in the reserves and what we could reasonably expect his role in the side to become?

Blaine is in no way a replacement for Waite, who has played as a KPF for the bulk of the last few years.

He is though a good marking medium forward who does have a few tricks.
Even early on this year, I wondered why he may not have gone much earlier through the drafts.
He was our third and last selection through the rookie draft where we favoured Reynolds well ahead of Blaine.

A couple of his shots at goal in the third were goals he was kicking in the VFL.
The kid has a good leg on him and will kick goals outside of 50. Betters still is that he's usually a very straight kick.

He reminded me of a Steve Johnson at times, earlier this year.
That is in no way to suggest that he'll be anywhere near as good but he does these crazy unexpected things at times............like the way he took the ball from an opponent in the third and kicked it forward for a resulting mark and goal.

AFLCA votes

Carlton v St Kilda

10 Andrejs Everitt (Carl)
7 Marc Murphy (Carl)
7 Andrew Walker (Carl)
4 Levi Casboult (Carl)
1 Michael Jamison (Carl)

1 Shane Savage (StK)

Everitt was awesome in the first quarter but only had 11 touches after qtr time... went a bit missing I thought. Thought Docherty played really well again. He is turning into an awesome pick up.

I assume it has been discussed somewhere but has anyone else heard rumours that a few clubs are preparing to throw the cheque book at Levi? (Similar to Sydney and Mumford back in the day)

It would be shattering to see him leave after all the years we have put in him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everitt was awesome in the first quarter but only had 11 touches after qtr time... went a bit missing I thought. Thought Docherty played really well again. He is turning into an awesome pick up.

I assume it has been discussed somewhere but has anyone else heard rumours that a few clubs are preparing to throw the cheque book at Levi? (Similar to Sydney and Mumford back in the day)

It would be shattering to see him leave after all the years we have put in him!

Casboult grew up as a Carlton supporter.

I couldn't see him leaving just yet....

Is a really good story, didn't get beat too often today in the one on one's, there was a time where he would never win one so going really well.

I thought he was particularly good in the one on nones, where StK players kicked it 10m past Riweoldt and straight to Rowe..... :)

I think he is worth more than $300k tbh. I would be happy if he got around $350 - $400 for three years with an increase in the final year of contract if he has met all KPIs including a Coleman medal.

$350-$400K for a guy who has played 29 games and kicked 27 goals in his career ?? :eek:

$350-$400K for a guy who has played 29 games and kicked 27 goals in his career ?? :eek:
The average wage for an AFL player is going to be $300k next year (sauce: tomato). For someone who has shown tremendous improvement over the course of the season and plays a position of need, I don't think that's crazy. Although I believe it still remains to be seen if this is truly a huge step in his development or a deceptively good run of form (I tend to think the former, but you never know).

The average wage for an AFL player is going to be $300k next year (sauce: tomato). For someone who has shown tremendous improvement over the course of the season and plays a position of need, I don't think that's crazy. Although I believe it still remains to be seen if this is truly a huge step in his development or a deceptively good run of form (I tend to think the former, but you never know).

Just because that is the "average" doesn't mean you have to pay everyone that amount. Besides, there are going to some players who are on significantly more than that (eg. Murphy $650K, Gibbs $550K) meaning that a lot of them are going to have to settle for way less than the average.

Right now, Casboult is worth $200K per season with some significant incentives attached so that should he tick all of the boxes, he could earn $250-275K for the year.

I'd be telling him he gets $1000 for every goal he kicks on top of his base wage of $200K, you don't think he will work extra hard on his kicking action and accuracy with that carrot dangled in front of him. If he was to kick 100-goals in a season (likelihood is very low) no-one would ever begrudge him getting the money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Carlton v St. Kilda - 85 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back