Review Cats triumph by 20 over reigning premiers and put another nail in their season

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely. Obviously everyone else in the team who's playing well deserves the kudos, but AFL is still a midfield-driven game. Putting Stewart in there has had a huge impact. Two contested beasts in there in Danger and Stewart has made a massive difference.
100 percent and especially at Geelong. Personally I think we have the best overall forward line and best set up behind the ball across the comp. Just breaking even in middle or even just losing is huge. Last night I reckon we made 6-7 or unpressured errors that gave them goals or cost us. We should of won by 10 goals.

All I can say is Lawson Humphries was pick 63 in the draft.

Our last pick was 94 that moved up to 63.

Mackie got that draft capital (94) from holding out on the Esava trade to Port.

Yeah Wells had to pick him, but he needed the pick first.

Mackie got shitcanned a lot for holding out.

Tipping my hat, again, to both Wells and Mackie.

GO Catters

I just saw on Reddit, that was our last Friday night game so no more BT!

I just need a small rant to feel better.

Lots of positives about the game but the commentary makes me want to dive head first through the TV. They are so busy trying to create stories that don't exist that they miss calling so many key aspects of the game. I use to think Richo was okay but BT has dragged him down to his level.

Just a couple of infuriating examples from last night:

* Cameron stretches leg - dramatic hyperbolic talk of hamstring for several minutes

* Close tackle on Daicos - dramatic hyperbolic talk of hamstring. This one actually annoyed me the most because it was so abundantly clear Close need him in the back of the leg during the tackle BUT THEY SPENT 10 MINUTES EDGING ABOUT IT UNTIL HOLMES FINALLY ADDRESSED WHAT WE ALL SAW AT THE TIME! "Oh you can see Close need in the back of Daicos leg, if it's just a collision that's okay" FWARK ME! 🤬

And then in between that there's constantly dramatic missed calls. Stewart clearly tackles Elliot and kicks the ball over the line. BT "EllIOt kiCked that! HE kicked that tHROUGH whilst Being TACKLED RICHOoo! Unbelievable, WATCH THIS Elliot KIcKED IT". Cue replay "oh no it was off Stewart's boot".

How is that good commentary? Who is that appealing too? Who's getting off on these pseudo drama stories?

It's honestly a disgrace and it's tiresome complaining about it but it does my ****ing head in.

Lots of positives about the game but the commentary makes me want to dive head first through the TV. They are so busy trying to create stories that don't exist that they miss calling so many key aspects of the game. I use to think Richo was okay but BT has dragged him down to his level.

* Cameron stretches leg - dramatic hyperbolic talk of hamstring for several minutes

* Close tackle on Daicos - dramatic hyperbolic talk of hamstring. This one actually annoyed me the most because it was so abundantly clear Close need him in the back of the leg during the tackle BUT THEY SPENT 10 MINUTES EDGING ABOUT IT UNTIL HOLMES FINALLY ADDRESSED WHAT WE ALL SAW AT THE TIME! "Oh you can see Close need in the back of Daicos leg, if it's just a collision that's okay" FWARK ME! 🤬

And then in between that there's constantly dramatic missed calls. Stewart clearly tackles Elliot and kicks the ball over the line. BT "EllIOt kiCked that! HE kicked that tHROUGH whilst Being TACKLED RICHOoo! Unbelievable, WATCH THIS Elliot KIcKED IT". Cue replay "oh no it was off Stewart's boot".

How is that good commentary? Who is that appealing too? Who's getting off on these pseudo drama stories?

It's honestly a disgrace and it's tiresome complaining about it but it does my ****ing head in.

Tv stations sack people like Sharyn Ghidella but stick fat with idiots like BT.

Go figure.

All I can say is Lawson Humphries was pick 63 in the draft.

Our last pick was 94 that moved up to 63.

Mackie got that draft capital (94) from holding out on the Esava trade to Port.

Yeah Wells had to pick him, but he needed the pick first.

Mackie got shitcanned a lot for holding out.

Tipping my hat, again, to both Wells and Mackie.

GO Catters
It is almost like Mackie and wells work together

Going to be interesting to see what the club do regarding Hawkins, Bruhn, MOC. I know some didn't like SDK rucking but I'd still prefer him over Stanley. Duncan looks cooked, some real half hearted attempts in recent games. I think Neale can go missing but he's starting to hit packs and give our smalls a look. Not sure the club will side line Hawk tho.
I think Duncan has been very important since Stewart went to the middle. He's not what he was but that's a high standard

Dangerfield with 10 inside 50s. The next best player on the ground had 6.

He's still a machine.

Compare that with Dusty and even Pendles right now. They have lost their hurt factor. Dangerfield is still our main driver. Losing him will hurt.

He’s still a one-of-a-kind player even well into his 30s. Dusty and Pendles were great at their peak but never had that explosiveness.

Rugby Union and that'd be called back as clearly no advantage.
But only in our sport can a player get pinged HTB for a kick that didn't travel far enough. IMV Maynard didn't hear the play on call. So he's stiff... Only for them to get the ball back in seconds with ludicrous advantage call.

Can you imagine trying to explain the HTB rule to someone just learning the game.

The “advantage” rule in AFL, which is nothing of the sort, is a disgrace.

Tom Stewart... This guy has always been a gun but he's turning into a Geelong LEGEND before our very eyes. How many key defenders have we had in the last thirty years who were arguably the best in the D50 who could transition into an inside-mid game? I'd argue there's been very few. Footy smarts are off the chain, does the tough stuff, intercepts everything, and now he's running around in the middle and beating 27-year-olds at their own contested game.

Freak.
Well, none even including Stewart as he’s not a key defender.

I think Duncan has been very important since Stewart went to the middle. He's not what he was but that's a high standard
Also with their tactics and going in so small in their forwardline he looked like he was getting stretched a bit trying to cover all the dangerous options. Seemed to me to be doing a lot of legwork which maybe led to a few errors (hard to tell sometimes on TV). The missed mark from Stewart's speculative pass through the middle that led to a goal wasn't great though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair. Was a very good presser from McRae and in this moment he was actually praising Cameron
True

But I find the ignorance hilarious.

On the other hand, if the league wants to believe that we give up three first rounders for a RFA then it suits our purposes beautifully.

More wells Jedi mind tricks

Undefeated with Mannagh in the team
I can feel the love for Mannagh from Play it Sam all the way up here in New England

Valentines Day Love GIF

The “advantage” rule in AFL, which is nothing of the sort, is a disgrace.
I think they got this one right. A few weeks ago we were all lamenting the fact the umpire had decided to bring the kick back when we had taken the advantage and scored. Miers heard the whistle and the call and chose to continue the play. Blicavs should have known better. Similarly with Holmes earlier in the game.

One of the wonderful aspects of attending the game is not only absorbing the atmosphere of the crowd, it’s actually avoiding listening to BT and Brayshaw clutter on in their self absorbed commentary.

I wanted to separate this from the above post so sorry for the double post.

Another game which shows hitout numbers are ****ing useless.
Hitouts that go to the ooposition are useless
Hitouts that cause another stoppage are useless (unless you are trying to waste time)

The only numbers i want to see regarding hitouts ever be praised are hitouts to advantage
The only other ones that are somewhat useful are the ones that go into open space and end up going forward some.

As we won the centre clearances easily at 16-6 and clearances around the ground were pretty much even with the Pies slightly ahead 29-26.

What was obvious was the fact we had more clean clearances than the Pies.
Even hitouts to advantage can be deceiving because advantages aren't always the same level of advantageous.

I want to see some kind of possession chain metric. Score launches from hitouts, inside 50s from hit out.

I've long wanted to see some kind of metric on clearance quality, like a distance measure from nearest opponent for the clearance recieve. Only possible with chip in ball tech they're working on

I feel Stanley will play more to give sdk a rest before he cooks himself playing permeant full time ruck
I think stanley will play against north for this reason (and to let sdk take larkey) but the question is what we do for finals.

Wow is Chris Scott actually that smart and precise with the gameplan ?
Game plans evolve over time.
Initially based on team strengths
To counter opponents strengths
Adjusted to suit conditions
ie: Kicking with wind v against
Tactics to create mismatches
To free up specific players
How best to move ball forward
Adapted when something works.
Ongoing process of leap frogging
eg:
Hawkins was a one on one beast
Long kicks to Hawkins worked well
Teams doubled teamed Hawkins
Intercept marks became a problem
Jezza has an accurate long snap kick.
Kick to Jezza on right side boundary
Goals scored : Intercept problem fixed.

Watch for patterns that repeat
Jezza runs in large clockwise arc
Smart players kick to his right side

Just on the interpretation of the not-15 rule in this game. It will be interesting to see if this a competition-wide change or just a one-off.

I wonder whether the umpires dept occasionally does a review of games in terms of looking at footage and getting actual measurements of the distance of kicks and then tries to implement some corrections to the way its interpreted by umpires, such as highlighting that across the board we're paying 80% of marks at 12m or something.

There's always a bit of a subjective element to it, and oftentimes I think the umps err on the side of letting the mark stand. Also with letting it go when players run more than the allotted distance.

I think Scott was suspicious about it because it was only a week after Collingwood had been picked apart by a short kick-mark style of play. I wish he wouldn't go on about it though.

Taken 18 rounds to find something I wanted but the 48 hour cats win sale has delivered a $97 polo for $45. 30% off and then the $20 members voucher redeemed.

Patience finally pays off.
I had a look last night, I really want one of the jumpers that Neale made but I can’t find them online to save myself
Must be a in store only thing, which is stupid

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats triumph by 20 over reigning premiers and put another nail in their season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back