Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Where will Geelong finish in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair, and their draw is pretty similar to ours. Still, I feel like they have substantially more to work with and there's a few they've lost they should have won. Same as us i guess. Still if Chris Scott can drag us over the line in this one I'll be pretty shocked

Chris is a much better coach than longmuir

Fair, and their draw is pretty similar to ours. Still, I feel like they have substantially more to work with and there's a few they've lost they should have won. Same as us i guess. Still if Chris Scott can drag us over the line in this one I'll be pretty shocked
The lists are just very different. This game is one where the home team is the de facto favourite as there’s not much between them in capability/output.

Yeah, I'm historically a bit prone to over rating Fremantle. Maybe there's some subconscious bias at work.
To be fair, when was the last time we beat Freo? They’ve had our number for a few years now. We must be due to get one back

Edit: We’ve lost the last three to them when they were the lower ranked side. We’re owe them one!

To be fair, when was the last time we beat Freo? They’ve had our number for a few years now. We must be due to get one back

Edit: We’ve lost the last three to them when they were the lower ranked side. We’re owe them one!
Now we're the lower ranked side so would be good to flip that

9-12 wins thank you.
You have your zone, I'll have mine
Vdubs your zone is in danger this weekend. Even allowing for it being 4 games wide (if I had 4 games I'd have said 13-16).

When pressed during that slump we got a prediction of 10 wins (2 more to follow the 8 we had) for the season.

Would you accept that your views at time can be a little pessimistic?

With all the different media outlets the last week or so putting out possible week 1 finals program, I wouldn't want to face the enigmatic but dangerous PA side at the G.

Vdubs your zone is in danger this weekend. Even allowing for it being 4 games wide (if I had 4 games I'd have said 13-16).

When pressed during that slump we got a prediction of 10 wins (2 more to follow the 8 we had) for the season.

Would you accept that your views at time can be a little pessimistic?
Of course.
That was a week to week reactive post.
This season is provocative.
I still believe we are a 5-8 team as per the intro, but with this season, we are a 6-12 team. In other words, not a top 4 team, probably a 5-8 team, possibly a 6-12 team

These types of analysis is why the club will continue to believe it can pinch a flag until it becomes impossible.

Sydney is the standout but now looks really vulnerable (but could turn it around like collingwood did last year - just)

Obviously bulldogs and brisbane could do a Cats 2022 and just keep going but above ladder shows that they have struggled against good teams during the full year (although both have done well over past 6-8 weeks against good team).

The only thing that matter from here is trying to get a top 4 spot - which then increases chance of pinching one. To secure that we have to win probably every game.

Of course we get a couple of more upsets this week and everything changes again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course.
That was a week to week reactive post.
This season is provocative.
I still believe we are a 5-8 team as per the intro, but with this season, we are a 6-12 team. In other words, not a top 4 team, probably a 5-8 team, possibly a 6-12 team
On this we agree.

What would be your updated ladder prediction and number of wins?

I'll stay with 15-8 (dropping the Freo game) and 5th, but St Kilda under the roof is a danger game too.

On this we agree.

What would be your updated ladder prediction and number of wins?

I'll stay with 15-8 (dropping the Freo game) and 5th, but St Kilda under the roof is a danger game too.
I’m keen to see what we do this week, but I’ll say 2-2, dropping Freo, St.K= 14-9, 6-7th

So I didn’t know where to put this - if someone can tell me I can move to another thread.

But thinking about our youth…Daniel Horne asked the “who is this” question last night about the team that has the second most team players under 23 (5 with a 6th just under) and under who rank well above expectations according to their ratings. Nobody on the panel or texts guessed that this was Geelong…

Holmes, Dempsey, Humphries, SDK, Conway (maybe a little cheeky but he passed the 5 game threshold) with O Henry just about 10% more than expectations.

Then I looked back at the AFL 22 and under teams that have been selected since they started in 2012. Geelong have had only 3 players selected over that 16 year period (Motloff twice, SDK twice, Miers). That is very small % given 22 selections each year!

We could do as many this year as we have over the full 16? (Holmes, Dempsey, SDK?). Could Humphries sneak in the team? What about Henry?

Future is bright!

Update:

I picked us as top 4.

But I think now we could bomb out in round 1 of the finals. Or we could go all the way to the GF and beyond, but with some very very good fortune and great play.

And no rain.

Now I think we will win a final and that will be that. If so a great turnaround of results and players after a disappointing 2023.

Remembering of course that our injuries etc were nowhere near the scale of the Woods this year, we just lost it altogether.

So I didn’t know where to put this - if someone can tell me I can move to another thread.

But thinking about our youth…Daniel Horne asked the “who is this” question last night about the team that has the second most team players under 23 (5 with a 6th just under) and under who rank well above expectations according to their ratings. Nobody on the panel or texts guessed that this was Geelong…

Holmes, Dempsey, Humphries, SDK, Conway (maybe a little cheeky but he passed the 5 game threshold) with O Henry just about 10% more than expectations.

Then I looked back at the AFL 22 and under teams that have been selected since they started in 2012. Geelong have had only 3 players selected over that 16 year period (Motloff twice, SDK twice, Miers). That is very small % given 22 selections each year!

We could do as many this year as we have over the full 16? (Holmes, Dempsey, SDK?). Could Humphries sneak in the team? What about Henry?

Future is bright!

The 22 and under has always been a fan poll. Essendon does great in it

Future is bright!
O.Henry was desperately unlucky to not get in last year with 40+ goals. Holmes could be considered unlucky 2022-2023 as well. General forwards and outside players have suffered with so many quality young inside midfielders.

The door is ajar.3 wins should definitely get us top 4.
2 wins might get us there if bris or freo lose tomorrow and/or if port lose against freo in the last week.

If ever theres a year to win it from 5th/6th this is it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Back