Preview Cats V Hawks Sat Jul6 435 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanted to pop in and say it’d be pretty easy to expect what side Hawthorn will have, Lewis is finally back this week.

Sicily probably plays and has surgery post season as there isn’t much more he can do damage wise, unless the inflammation is too much, will find out Thursday.

But Lewis for Dear is the only real change, Breust for Morrison likely too.

OHenry also due to come back into the side. Will be interesting to see how we structure our forward line this week. Rohan has to stay in after his performance last week, but I don’t know if they can both play in the same team unless OH plays deep and we drop Neale. Hard to find a spot for Mannagh unless they drop Clark but MC seem to always back him in.
Keep Henry in the twos until he shows that he has some defensive side to his game.

And we are back on the winners list.

Got some new faces, some younger ones re-singing and the VFL side is winning again as well with Mannagh kicking 6 and CLohesy again pushing his case

As good as 7-0 was, we arent that good.

As bad as losing the next 6 was, we aren't that bad either.

5th on the ladder is prob about right and we are reloading for the back 13 of the season.

And we belted the Bombers and the old Foe are next.

GRanted, not sure even Sammy played at KP so they'll need google maps to get there

WE should win this but this is THE RIVALRY so they will be up... and we'll be wanting to not let that happen.

Ruck is a mystery
Stanley and Conway hurt..... Reeves is like 24124 cm so its gonna be a thing,

Let see who we pick and CS better have the asbestos undies on of Mannagh cant make it this week - the burn will be real.

GO Catters
Sorry to intrude here but 3 things you got wrong.
1. Mitchell played at KP in 2006.
2.Should win against a team who's won 7 out of 8?
3. Meek is our ruckman not Reeves and it's been that way since about round 4.

Should be a cracking match. We will throw the kitchen sink at you guys. May not be enough but the fact we're in finals calculations as it is at this stage is satisfying enough.

Hawks are in good touch - if this was being played anywhere else I think they'd just about go in favorites. Good win for the Cats on the weekend but given Essendon have just one win against top 8 sides it's a little hard to get a read on just how good a win it was.

Conway set for an extended period on the sidelines so the SDK ruck experiment likely to continue. Even if Stanley is fit I'm not sure they'd bring him in.

Sicily looks likely to miss - he's normally a good match-up on Cameron. Hawks small forwards look dangerous and that's normally an area where opposition sides stretch us - will be interesting to see how the coaches approach that.

Cats but not by much.
Weddle played on Cameron earlier in the year and did a reasonable job I thought. We will go that way again even if Sicily is playing.

And it's his second dislocation in the same shoulder since round 8

When he dislocated it against the Bulldogs, he missed the next couple of rounds - so it's likely to he'll need surgery on it post season, but the question is if a second dislocation in less than 2-months, brings that forward or he tries to play through it
With finals a realistic chance I'd say the club will jab him up and he soldiers through. If we were genuine bottom 3 or 4 by now he would be put in for surgery already. It will depend on how the team progresses from here.

Saturday should be a really good game and Hawks are definitely a chance, but I will say to you what people said to us during our 7-0 start, which is that you haven't beaten that much yet.

The teams you've beaten during your 7-1 run are currently placed 18th, 9th, 15th, 8th, 14th, 10th, 17th and 16th.

You were fortunate, as were we, to get the Lions during their form slump.

Winning form is good form and all that, but if you beat us on Saturday, it will undoubtedly be your best win this year and likely for a couple of years.

Saturday should be a really good game and Hawks are definitely a chance, but I will say to you what people said to us during our 7-0 start, which is that you haven't beaten that much yet.

The teams you've beaten during your 7-1 run are currently placed 18th, 9th, 15th, 8th, 14th, 10th, 17th and 16th.

You were fortunate, as were we, to get the Lions during their form slump.

Winning form is good form and all that, but if you beat us on Saturday, it will undoubtedly be your best win this year and likely for a couple of years.
Don't disagree at all. Giants were in the 8 when we beat them and we should definitely have beaten Port who were just outside the top 4 at the time so while it looks like we have only beaten average teams they some were higher up at the time we won.

I’d say he will but I don’t think he should be viewed as an automatic selection based on what he’s given us this season.
Can’t agree. That kind of goalkicking nous is must include.

It's another 50/50 game, and I hate to say it, but the Hawks could win this game because they're playing well. The ladder is so weird that if we lose this game, we might drop out of the top 8 again. I hope we see Conway back in the side this week; we really need to put games into that kid if he is fit. Other than that, I don't think we need to change the side much from last week. Ultimately, (IMO) winning our home games is vital on the run to the end of the H&A season if the Cats want to make the finals. So they have to get it done against the Hawks. But I have a feeling the Hawks will be coming to Geelong with an eye on getting a kill.

Last edited:
Sorry to intrude here but 3 things you got wrong.
1. Mitchell played at KP in 2006.
3. Meek is our ruckman not Reeves and it's been that way since about round 4.

Should be a cracking match. We will throw the kitchen sink at you guys. May not be enough but the fact we're in finals calculations as it is at this stage is satisfying enough.
Hawks looking good, augurs well for next year. Should be a cracker!

Let's be honest, this is a danger game. We're a bottom 6 side based on the last 8 weeks, and they'd be top 6. As Scott likes to say, it's not who you play but when you play them. Thankfully the Bombers might've played the team back into some form and confidence, so prospects definitely looking stronger.

We really need a solid start, though. Bombers looked right on top during a good part of that first half. Our back 6 held up well but as we've seen, they're not invincible and need the midfield to step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking to someone last week and said the bombers should get us and the hawks will.
Kinda changed my tune when we beat Essendon. And then I saw what they did to the eagles.

I've actually liked how they've rebuilt.
Went form a side that was an easy beat to a team that ran a lot of teams to the line on many occasions. You could see resilience being built.

And now they are winning and they aren't doing it 'ross Lyon style', they can actually put the foot down.

They must have a lot of confidence in the progress they've made.
Their form line is a lot stronger than ours.

If our Essendon form wasn't a once off then we can win. But gee, I wouldn't be betting my left knacker on it.
This could be a 'ships in the night' type game.

Their form line is a lot stronger than ours.
I’m seeing a lot of this and don’t buy it.

We are 3-3 against the current top 8. They are 1-5. They’ve beaten a whole lot of nothing recently.

I’m seeing a lot of this and don’t buy it.

We are 3-3 against the current top 8. They are 1-5. They’ve beaten a whole lot of nothing recently.
GWS would be top 8 if not for the Hawks winning against them, between 3-13 it’s even, hence why form of 7-1 is still form despite the top 8 record (haven’t played Carlton or Freo)

This is a massive game for both sides, top 4 on the cards for the Cats & top 8 for the Hawks.

Let's be honest, this is a danger game. We're a bottom 6 side based on the last 8 weeks, and they'd be top 6. As Scott likes to say, it's not who you play but when you play them. Thankfully the Bombers might've played the team back into some form and confidence, so prospects definitely looking stronger.

We really need a solid start, though. Bombers looked right on top during a good part of that first half. Our back 6 held up well but as we've seen, they're not invincible and need the midfield to step up.
You make good points. The BOMBERS game was a rare event where I truly believe the bizarre umpiring decisions completely changed the momentum, and they could not regain it. That was good on our part, but HAWKS are in excellent form, and we would need to be at our very best to win this. Until we look consistent and settled, I’m thinking HAWKS will do a GWS to us at GEELONG.

Surely the Hawks are due a let down. Hawthorn’s ascendency at stoppages worries me but I think we have enough firepower to win this.
You make good points. The BOMBERS game was a rare event where I truly believe the bizarre umpiring decisions completely changed the momentum, and they could not regain it. That was good on our part, but HAWKS are in excellent form, and we would need to be at our very best to win this. Until we look consistent and settled, I’m thinking HAWKS will do a GWS to us at GEELONG.

The game was turning back in Geelong’s favour immediately after half time. Essendon made no inroads even composing themselves after these grave injustices at three quarter time.

Surely the Hawks are due a let down. Hawthorn’s ascendency at stoppages worries me but I think we have enough firepower to win this.

The game was turning back in Geelong’s favour immediately after half time. Essendon made no inroads even composing themselves after these grave injustices at three quarter time.

I highly doubt the coaches are thinking this, but if we're relying on the Hawks having a let-down week, we're in big trouble before the first bounce.

I think the decisions did shift momentum in our favour, but based on how it played out I think we still would've won (albeit a much smaller margin). One of the few things we've been consistent with over the last couple of months is our second halves tend to be much better...but we're too often trying to dig ourselves out of a grave. Carlton and Swan games were obvious exceptions, but we're simply not at their level.

And we would be sitting 3rd on the ladder 🪜 if we didn't loose to the Giants too...
But what we beat or loose to , is what it is and cant be looked at
It’s just how close the season is currently, which is why ladder position from 13 onwards or so is irrelevant as it could flip. Geelong would wanna win this and try cement a spot in the 8 and contend for the 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back