Preview Cats V Hawks Sat Jul6 435 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

If we're playing Stewart in the midfield one of Duncan or Touhy will play as the experience sweeper back there.

I've been a Touhy critic, but he looked like he was up to the standard last week playing that role, and it's probably the only role he can play at this stage in his career.
Perhaps it was the bigger body in the wet but I thought he looked good last week

Likely that a number of the empty seats belong to members - not everyone will put their seats up for re-sale if they can't attend, they may have put it up for re-sale but it didn't sell or it may be a late decision where they can't attend
If Saturday's crowd doesn't get over 36,000 then that won't be the reason. How do you explain fans trying without luck two days ago to get tickets, and now they turn up. Then the club puts out a bulletin urging members to "upgrade" to ensure a ticket?

Meek is going to monster Dekoning in the ruck this week. The Hawks will dominate us through the midfield.
Hopefully we can have enough firepower up forward to make up for it.
I’d play Stewart in the middle again him and Danger could do a lot to combat the Hawks inside mids and Meek’s dominance.
I agree with Meek, probably one of the most informed Ruckman. And if Stanley is fit, he must play

Interesting how many games the AFL boasts are sell-outs only for heaps of empty seats around the stadiums. Someone is stuffing something up somewhere along the line. The clubs? Ticketmaster?
I do agree some of the tickets would be from season seat holders but I feel like something different happened this time.
Could be wrong

Can't deny Clark is being gifted games.
Can’t call them gifted games, he’s the future
I’d prefer him to Parfitt and Hardie who both won’t be here next year.
Cam Guthrie and Bruhn are both out injured, he could possibly be our 24/25 best player at the moment and because those 2 are out, he's in

Can't deny Clark is being gifted games.
Being gifted a game is for when you're clearly not in the best 23 but end up there.

Limited as his impact has been (as you would expect from effectively his first year) in not sure anyone in the 2s is clear cut better through the midfield.

Always have respect for the Hawks - its a given after the last 35 years or whatever.... but **** me they are playing their GF this week aren't they

Google Maps didnt exist last time they played infront of a crowd at KP. Sat arvo - need the crowd to turn up and more importantly need the boys to fire up for this one.

They will be ready - Need Scotty, Kel, Sel and Tomma to impart the importance of this one.

Make that trip up the highway long miserable and quiet for them - radios off as they dont want to listen to the postgame.

Let them burn themselves out getting all Pat Benetar and "all fired up" in the rooms while we open them up and kick goals.

ITs time.

GO Catters

Being gifted a game is for when you're clearly not in the best 23 but end up there.

Limited as his impact has been (as you would expect from effectively his first year) in not sure anyone in the 2s is clear cut better through the midfield.
Last week he played really against Carlton. 20 disposals. Probably doing just as well if not better than Tanner Bruhn at the same age. Only young. Inconsistency will happen.

I understand what you're saying. But we also don't know what the others in the 2s would dish up because they've refused to play them. Parfitt is the only one to have had an opportunity. Hardie, Knevitt (until this week), Clohesy, Stevens all haven't even had the chance to fail.

It's likely that most (probably all) of that list would have performed just as poorly. But at this stage the only evidence that we actually have is that Clark has been a tad underwhelming as a full-time mid. Once one of the others plays and has a stinker, sure, use that as evidence for the 'Clark is no worse' argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that doesn’t prove superiority in either direction.
Absolutely, I never said it did. The game is probably 50:50ish, probably even 60:40 in our favour because it's at KP.

I agree their wins are worth less because they've generally been against teams outside the 8. But you can also only beat who you're playing, and over the past month or two we've lost 3 games to teams outside the 8 as well.

Winning games against mid-low ranked teams doesn't prove you are good. But losing games against mid-low ranked teams is decent evidence that you're not in great form.

I’m seeing a lot of this and don’t buy it.

We are 3-3 against the current top 8. They are 1-5. They’ve beaten a whole lot of nothing recently.
I fall somewhere in the middle. You can't just compare wins and losses against the ladder, you need to watch a team play. The Hawks have got a talented young team that is starting to find some shape and form. They are good and dangerous and can challenge very good teams. But they are ultimately unproven as yet at that level. My head says they could definitely beat us. My gut says we win.

Absolutely, I never said it did. The game is probably 50:50ish, probably even 60:40 in our favour because it's at KP.

I agree their wins are worth less because they've generally been against teams outside the 8. But you can also only beat who you're playing, and over the past month or two we've lost 3 games to teams outside the 8 as well.

Winning games against mid-low ranked teams doesn't prove you are good. But losing games against mid-low ranked teams is decent evidence that you're not in great form.
This is all the more reason to do apples-with-apples comparisons like the one I did.

This is all the more reason to do apples-with-apples comparisons like the one I did.
It's not apples with apples when you're using 'wins against top 8 teams' which happened to occur months ago for us. Recency maters. A win in round 1 is clearly less relevant than a win in round 16.

Since April we've both only beaten 1 top 8 side, but we've lost to 3 teams outside the 8, and they haven't lost to any.

It’s just how close the season is currently, which is why ladder position from 13 onwards or so is irrelevant as it could flip. Geelong would wanna win this and try cement a spot in the 8 and contend for the 4.
Very fickle season. Only a week ago, many thought Geelong was destined for finishing outside the top 8. One win against an iffy team, and the talk is all about top 8, even top 4.
Realistically, nobody knows where we are at.
Hawthorn winning this week is more likely than an upset though.

Always have respect for the Hawks - its a given after the last 35 years or whatever.... but **** me they are playing their GF this week aren't they

Mate I hate to burst your bubble but every week is their GF at the moment. Every week Im waiting for their bubble to burst and the kids to run out of steam and every week they are surprising me.

Upset Geelong this week then its Freo, which will be their grand final. After that its Collingwood in front of 75k, which will be their grand final.

Mitchell and Sicily have said they are just relishing games meaning something for the first time in years and the fans are just enjoying the ride. This year.

I dare say Geelong have a lot more to lose this week, you would hope they come out breathing fire and using their bigger bodies to effect early.

Good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back