Speculation Chad Warner [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Staggered if Sydney lose Warner …

The Snitch: Fremantle Dockers appear to be playing long game with Sydney Swans star Chad Warner​

The SnitchThe West Australian
Thu, 6 June 2024 11:45AM

Sometimes silence says everything.
Exhibit A: Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir’s response to a recent question about whether the Dockers had been in contact with prized Sydney on-baller Chad Warner during a return to his home town of Perth during the Swans bye weekend.
“Definitely (he is) in unbelievable form and I think the thing lost in the articles that have come out is the fact that he has still got 18 months to go on a contract,” Longmuir said.
“We will just let that one be for the moment.”
Of course, J-Lo has to let that one go through to the metaphorical keeper.
But The Snitch won’t.
My Snitch sources inside Cockburn tell me the Dockers had their fingerprints all over the visit. Or should I say, credit card imprint.
After all, just say Fremantle paid for the entire weekend at Crown for Chad and his girlfriend Alice — and I’m saying they did — that’s OK isn’t it? No strings attached. Just a goodwill gesture. Nothing really to see here. Just “think about us” before you extend your Swans contract which expires at the end of 2025.
The wooing process has to begin somewhere and it’s so much more sophisticated these days.
I can remember legendary North Melbourne administrator Ron Joseph signing the great late coach Ron Barassi on the back of a beer coaster at the Old Melbourne Hotel.
As it turns out, Mrs Snitch and I were also camped at Crown the very same weekend.
We like to head “up river” once or twice a year to introduce a bit of spice to our lives.
I throw my chips on the baccarat board, after all it is the Game of Kings, while Mrs Snitch is happy to toil away at the money wheel.
Afterwards, we usually wind down with a Rockin’ Sour or two at The Waiting Room, followed by a High Tea. Maybe even a show.
We did spot the lovely couple once or twice and let’s just say they looked both happy … and at home.
Before he got to Burswood, Warner told a Channel 10 reporter at Perth Airport he had “just come home to enjoy some time with family”.
But then: “I’m loving it over in Sydney and I guess that time will come where myself, Alice my girlfriend and all that want to decide whatever we want to do with the future.”
Yes, the time will come.
And what a Crown-ing achievement it will be if Warner finishes his playing days in purple.

he's very good friends with Jackson, Sharp and Clark. He is also school friend with Sharp. Morabito is his manager. I wouldn't be shocked.

Pies handed over top 10 pick and future 1st round for Trealor.

You pay more for a trade now than you did back in the Judd days

I agree with you in principal re generally having to pay overs, but that Trealor trade is hardly the norm.
That's just a shocking trade, see GC paying pick 2 for Lachie Weller etc.

Better examples in this case in recent years would be Jezza Cameron, Luke Jackson. High price for a quality commodity.

The Snitch: Fremantle Dockers appear to be playing long game with Sydney Swans star Chad Warner​

Exhibit A: Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir’s response to a recent question about whether the Dockers had been in contact with prized Sydney on-baller Chad Warner during a return to his home town of Perth during the Swans bye weekend.
“Definitely (he is) in unbelievable form and I think the thing lost in the articles that have come out is the fact that he has still got 18 months to go on a contract,” Longmuir said.
But The Snitch won’t.
My Snitch sources inside Cockburn tell me the Dockers had their fingerprints all over the visit. Or should I say, credit card imprint.
After all, just say Fremantle paid for the entire weekend at Crown for Chad and his girlfriend Alice — and I’m saying they did — that’s OK isn’t it? No strings attached. Just a goodwill gesture. Nothing really to see here. Just “think about us” before you extend your Swans contract which expires at the end of 2025.
The wooing process has to begin somewhere and it’s so much more sophisticated these days.
I can remember legendary North Melbourne administrator Ron Joseph signing the great late coach Ron Barassi on the back of a beer coaster at the Old Melbourne Hotel.
As it turns out, Mrs Snitch and I were also camped at Crown the very same weekend.
We like to head “up river” once or twice a year to introduce a bit of spice to our lives.
I throw my chips on the baccarat board, after all it is the Game of Kings, while Mrs Snitch is happy to toil away at the money wheel.
Afterwards, we usually wind down with a Rockin’ Sour or two at The Waiting Room, followed by a High Tea. Maybe even a show.
We did spot the lovely couple once or twice and let’s just say they looked both happy … and at home.
Before he got to Burswood, Warner told a Channel 10 reporter at Perth Airport he had “just come home to enjoy some time with family”.
But then: “I’m loving it over in Sydney and I guess that time will come where myself, Alice my girlfriend and all that want to decide whatever we want to do with the future.”
Yes, the time will come.
And what a Crown-ing achievement it will be if Warner finishes his playing days in purple.

he's very good friends with Jackson, Sharp and Clark. He is also school friend with Sharp. Morabito is his manager. I wouldn't be shocked.
Pretty good mates with his brother aswell.

Again maybe he does ask for a trade, maybe he doesn't but this stuff about players changing clubs because their " mates" are there is embarrassingly immature and laughable. Their grown adults, they don't change teams coz they're made from year is there like u/12s players.

I'd also argue players are pretty close with the teammates they've come up with aswell ans spend every day together.

Again maybe he does ask for a trade, maybe he doesn't but this stuff about players changing clubs because their " mates" are there is embarrassingly immature and laughable. Their grown adults, they don't change teams coz they're made from year is there like u/12s players.

I'd also argue players are pretty close with the teammates they've come up with aswell ans spend every day together.
if a player also "wants to go home" it's more attractive to be in a team where you already have relationships - look at how well Sharp is playing in his first year at Freo because he was already mates with Sharp, Jackson and Clark.

I think it helps.

I certainly wouldn't say it is a deciding factor but if you were to say it played a 10% role i think that would be accurate.

I understand this is not the same, however there is a long history is relationships made in the USA basketball team significantly affecting FA decisions in the NBA.

You mentioned his brother, out of interest where is he at? Does he project as a long term player or is he one that might be on the chopping block?

if a player also "wants to go home" it's more attractive to be in a team where you already have relationships - look at how well Sharp is playing in his first year at Freo because he was already mates with Sharp, Jackson and Clark.
Is the fact he's playing with mates the reason he's having such a great season or perhaps more opportunities in a differing system.

A couple of people have mentioned the Luke Jackson and Adam Treloar trades as comparisons. Warner, Treloar, and Jackson are all of similar ages at the time of trade negotiations. So they seem like good comparisons for the time being.

Both Treloar and Jackson were out of contract at the time of their trades.

Warner is under contract until 2025 (at which point he is only out of contract, he doesn't reach Free Agency until 2027). So these trade comparisons wouldn't really apply until next year anyway, but as far as elite talent goes they seem like good comparisons.

Adam Treloar to Collingwood 2015
TEAMGIVERECEIVE
CollingwoodPick 7, Pick 65, F1 (2016 Pick 7)Adam Treloar, Pick 28
GWSAdam Treloar, Pick 28Pick 7, Pick 65, F1 (2016 Pick 7)

• Fun fact about that 2016 Pick 7, it ended up going to Fremantle as part of the Cam McCarthy to Fremantle trade, which got GWS the pick they used to select Tim Taranto.

Luke Jackson to Fremantle (3 team trade)
TEAMGIVERECEIVE
FremantlePick 13, F1 (2023 Pick 7), F2 (2023 Pick 34)Luke Jackson, Pick 44, Pick 67
MelbourneLuke Jackson, Toby BedfordPick 13, F1 (2023 Pick 7), F2 (2023 Pick 34)
GWSPick 44, Pick 67Toby Bedford

So that would suggest the 2025 price for Warner is 2 1st rounders.
The 2024 price will likely be higher as Warner is under contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a fremantle supporter I'd trade all 3 2024 first rounders in a second for Warner.
Yep.

Your three first rounders aren’t fantastic picks either.

Think Collingwood, Port and Freo won’t finish below 6th on the ladder.

Assuming ladder positions of 2, 4 and 6, they are picks 13, 15 and 17. That’s before any free agency compo or NGA/FS bidding.

Gold Coast and Brisbane will have 2 players in the top 5 that will be bid on. And Carlton have three players that may attract interest from the middle of the first round.

There’s a good chance these picks could be as low as 18, 20 and 22 when it comes turn to pick on draft night.

For a guy like Warner, there’s no doubt you’d hand these picks over in a heartbeat.

Now if only they could trade them for a top three pick. They may need to add their future first for a club with one to bite.

Yep.

Assuming ladder positions of 2, 4 and 6, they are picks 13, 15 and 17. That’s before any free agency compo or NGA/FS bidding.

Gold Coast and Brisbane will have 2 players in the top 5 that will be bid on. And Carlton have three players that may attract interest from the middle of the first round.

There’s a good chance these picks could be as low as 18, 20 and 22 when it comes turn to pick on draft night.

For a guy like Warner, there’s no doubt you’d hand these picks over in a heartbeat.

Now if only they could trade them for a top three pick. They may need to add their future first for a club with one to bite.
It looks very likely that teams will have to use a first round pick to match early acadamy/father son bids. I think we'll be trading an early second (which is StKilda pick we got in the Henry trade) and our highest pick for the Brisbane pick. I also don't think Port or Collingwood will finish as high as you think. If we traded say 9 and 10 for West Coast pick and pick 7 (Brisbanes) Would that be a fir trade in your opinion. Basically 3 and 7 for Warner. Which would likely be taken at 4 and 9 if the mock drafts are accurate.

Yep.

I reckon with the draw Gold Coast has and the Hawks and Dogs playing well at least one of us misses the 8. I think we'll have at least one top 10 pick which makes a big difference.

A couple of people have mentioned the Luke Jackson and Adam Treloar trades as comparisons. Warner, Treloar, and Jackson are all of similar ages at the time of trade negotiations. So they seem like good comparisons for the time being.

Both Treloar and Jackson were out of contract at the time of their trades.

Warner is under contract until 2025 (at which point he is only out of contract, he doesn't reach Free Agency until 2027). So these trade comparisons wouldn't really apply until next year anyway, but as far as elite talent goes they seem like good comparisons.

Adam Treloar to Collingwood 2015
TEAMGIVERECEIVE
CollingwoodPick 7, Pick 65, F1 (2016 Pick 7)Adam Treloar, Pick 28
GWSAdam Treloar, Pick 28Pick 7, Pick 65, F1 (2016 Pick 7)

• Fun fact about that 2016 Pick 7, it ended up going to Fremantle as part of the Cam McCarthy to Fremantle trade, which got GWS the pick they used to select Tim Taranto.

Luke Jackson to Fremantle (3 team trade)
TEAMGIVERECEIVE
FremantlePick 13, F1 (2023 Pick 7), F2 (2023 Pick 34)Luke Jackson, Pick 44, Pick 67
MelbourneLuke Jackson, Toby BedfordPick 13, F1 (2023 Pick 7), F2 (2023 Pick 34)
GWSPick 44, Pick 67Toby Bedford

So that would suggest the 2025 price for Warner is 2 1st rounders.
The 2024 price will likely be higher as Warner is under contract.
I don't think Treloar has worked out as well a Jackson

But The Snitch won’t.
Yes, the time will come.

Cringeworthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Chad Warner [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back