Champion Data's assessment of "elite" players

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what I think some people struggle to understand and they get very subjective and personal with it. There's no subjectivity in CD ratings, it's not CD's "opinion" of who is elite. It's an objective statistical model. There's obviously some flaws and bugs in the model, but every one of their players would be able to be explained by data.

To use Cox as an example, it looks like he's elite based on exceptional results in 2 categories, contested marking and goal accuracy, my question on the model would be does being elite in 2 categories automatically qualify someone as elite even if they are below average in other categories for example.

It doesn't really hold much merit or use in real world application, but it's an absolute click bait monster for CD every year and that's what they're sucking people into.

When people get miffed and ask "WHERE IS MY TEAM'S PLAYER?!?!?" It's a simple answer - their data wasn't good enough to qualify.
But the data set is not comparing apples with apples and never can because the different roles players undertake. Until there is role specific categorisation, this data is just media fluff. I bet the coaches and players take it with a grain of salt and have their own measure. Who pays for Champion Data?

Is this the list that had Fisher, Allen, Motlop, McEvoy etc has elite?

Why anyone cares for the opinions of Champion Data is beyond me. They keep statistics well but their analysts havent got a clue evidently

And that's pretty much it in a nutshell. The data they pull together is excellent for understanding teams and players within. Their interpretation however is flawed from the data they capture. Sometimes it's downright bullsh1t...as is the case with some of the elite players for '21!!

Everyone missing the best part of how especially stupid this year's offering is, as the AFL seems to have quietly edited any mention on their site out.

And in a blast from the past, Naitanui has been joined in the list of the AFL’s premier players by provisionally suspended small forward Willie Rioli.

Can only assume "cones smoked" and "drug tests tampered with" are stats now being actively monitored?
No wonder The West Coast Paper describes it as a 'sophisticated new rating system'. :rolleyes:

Jack Henry got 1 goal and 0 behinds last year. Elite.

Also, nice to see Motlop finally get the respect he deserves.

Jack Henry got 1 goal and 0 behinds last year. Elite.

Also, nice to see Motlop finally get the respect he deserves.

Actually, Luke Dahlhaus, Daniel Lloyd and Alex Neal-Bullen are better examples of that - all kicked 7.0 in 2020. These guys could teach Mason Cox a thing or two about goal kicking accuracy.

1612839900938.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Champion Data's assessment of "elite" players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back