Preview Changes and Discussion - Round 8 - Hawthorn v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Rioli might miss. Wouldn't surprise.

And Suckling too. Hale in if fit.
300x300-MF%20SQZY%20Tomato%20Sauce%20500ML.jpg

He is a HUGE loss. Their best runner and carrier of the ball. On top of the fact he generally uses it well, can win clearances, can kick goals, and can tag players.

We on the other hand get Rioli back and maybe Suckling. So no excuses for Hawks this week, not even the umpires.

I agree he is a huge loss for them. I'm just saying that most of us would have been very confident playing them when he, along with Dal Santo, Hayes, Goddard and Riewoldt were out for that game in Tassie when they beat us. I'm backing us in, just pointing out the facts.

I think Rioli might miss. Wouldn't surprise.

And Suckling too. Hale in if fit.
if rioli misses again they are clearly going down the max bailey path with regards to his hammies which imo isnt a bad thing, 3 weeks out with a strain is a fair bit.

I could be in the minority but I would make Jordan Lewis go back to the VFL and learn how to play footy again. His intensity on Friday night was abysmal as evidence by his non effort in a marking contest in the first quarter. Dont give me this "he's playing a role" tripe. He was very ordinary.

AFL's leading Goal Assist player to be dropped to the VFL.... I doubt it

And by a fair margin too. Consider also he played one game where he was a sub... :D

The same has been said for Young by others here, and he is in the top 7 in the league for inside 50's. And in our top 4 for rebounds from 50.

Ladson, Murphy and Ellis the Camel all in the one side worrys me. The two obvious inclusions come in, Ladson and Ellis the Camel out for me. I have an itch Cyril will miss which adds to the intrigue. Burgoyne to fire PLEASE. Love watching him go about it.

Ladson, Murphy and Ellis the Camel all in the one side worrys me. The two obvious inclusions come in, Ladson and Ellis the Camel out for me. I have an itch Cyril will miss which adds to the intrigue. Burgoyne to fire PLEASE. Love watching him go about it.

Fair point. They all lack physical presence and I don't think any of them are in our best side. (Ellis did OK last week so I would select him ahead of the other two.)

On Lewis...I advocated he be dropped this week too. (I know it won't happen.) I did not know he was ranked so highly in the goal assists but statistics can be misleading.

Anyway, there is no doubt he has the talent to be in our best side. In 2007/2008 I actually thought he was on track to be almost as good as Hodge. He is probably doing enough to maintain his spot but I can't help but think dropping him will help him in the long run fulfill his potential. He appears to be lethargic and just treading water. Maybe he's being played out of position. I don't know, I just suspect we are not seeing his best and something should be tried to get him back on the path to being an elite midfielder.

Fair point. They all lack physical presence and I don't think any of them are in our best side. (Ellis did OK last week so I would select him ahead of the other two.)

On Lewis...I advocated he be dropped this week too. (I know it won't happen.) I did not know he was ranked so highly in the goal assists but statistics can be misleading.

Anyway, there is no doubt he has the talent to be in our best side. In 2007/2008 I actually thought he was on track to be almost as good as Hodge. He is probably doing enough to maintain his spot but I can't help but think dropping him will help him in the long run fulfill his potential. He appears to be lethargic and just treading water. Maybe he's being played out of position. I don't know, I just suspect we are not seeing his best and something should be tried to get him back on the path to being an elite midfielder.

Well put. :thumbsu: He doesn't look like he's willing to do what it takes to take his game to the next level. I reckon it will happen at some stage, but needs a kick in the butt.

Ellis is in our best 22. He rarely makes clangers and can play through the backline and also through the midfield. Watch a live game and he is always sacrificing his own game for the good of the team.

Ladson uses the ball well, but is short, not good overhead and not really quick. He has a good start to the year but hes on the backnd of his best footy. Happy to see him pushed out of the 22.

Murphy is a plodder. You expect things to go wrong when hes in the vacinity of the ball. I know hes in the leadership group, but when he was a late inclusion for Hale I was incredibly nervous/ who cant be there in September if we are a serious threat.

Puopolo looked a little lost early on Friday night however found himself in the right spot more often than not. Although being super short I do think theres a BP possy with his name on it as the season progresses.

conditons are going to be cold and wet and the ball will be on the ground which will suit st kilda Rugby style where they have the whole team in the middle.

Suckling will not be available.

Leave Hale out and Renouf and Rough to share the duties the same as Port.

We need players that will put their head over the ball and that can run and carry.

Osborne and Rioli in.
Ellis and Whtecross out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suckers listed as a 'test'. Some good posters believe he could be out for a month or two. So I wouldn't include him as an "In". Rioli and Hale must return.

In: Hale, Rioli

Out: There is a few. Ellis, Murphy, Whitecross, Puopolo, Ladson, Young. They are the six who it could come from. Pop might stay due to playing only one match and is a very recognised match up for Milne.

Anyone got an update on Osborne?

conditons are going to be cold and wet and the ball will be on the ground which will suit st kilda Rugby style where they have the whole team in the middle.

Suckling will not be available.

Leave Hale out and Renouf and Rough to share the duties the same as Port.

We need players that will put their head over the ball and that can run and carry.

Osborne and Rioli in.
Ellis and Whtecross out.

Spot on! But If Suckling was available for this game, would you rather him or Ladson? Suckling for me. MCG seems be were he's played well this year, Melbourne Richmond & Geelong he was very good in those games created a lot of runs of half back. He reminds me a lot like Josh Drummond from BL their exactly the same type of players.

Thought he played well Friday night did you?

The goal assist stat is purely there for lesser players to justify their existance. It's about time Jordan lead the stats in an area that actually meant something ie. Hard Ball gets, Clearances etc. If there were a stat for the player looking the most disinterested/least intensity I think Jordan would be up there as well.

Needs to rediscover his hard edge and clean ball handling or it's off to Box Hill for mine.

SEN reporting Cyril Rioli will miss another week.

Suckers not available for the 10th time.

Renouf is also in doubt.

Hale in for Renouf could be the only change afterall.:mad:

SEN reporting Cyril Rioli will miss another week.

Suckers not available for the 10th time.

Renouf is also in doubt.

Hale in for Renouf could be the only change afterall.:mad:

Well what about Osborne? He is definitely available! Also Schoenmakers is available.

Ellis is in our best 22. He rarely makes clangers and can play through the backline and also through the midfield. Watch a live game and he is always sacrificing his own game for the good of the team.

Ladson uses the ball well, but is short, not good overhead and not really quick. He has a good start to the year but hes on the backnd of his best footy. Happy to see him pushed out of the 22.

Murphy is a plodder. You expect things to go wrong when hes in the vacinity of the ball. I know hes in the leadership group, but when he was a late inclusion for Hale I was incredibly nervous/ who cant be there in September if we are a serious threat.

Puopolo looked a little lost early on Friday night however found himself in the right spot more often than not. Although being super short I do think theres a BP possy with his name on it as the season progresses.

Are you serious? I wouldn't let him cut my sausages.

Club holding back on Rioli now that Montagna (who always manages to kills us) is out? Probably a good move, get his hammy right.

Hale would be a definite IN, you'd think. But assumptions are not something we can really hedge our bets on when it comes to team selection. Would be great to see Schoey in as a tall down back this week.

TO echo Snibs's disagreement in what u said, Ellis won't ever make clangers as long as he's only chipping it sideways and backwards to unmarked, stationary players.

Interesting view points on players in the forum. Ellis is playing and will continue to play. I think he is starting to become very important when we start to move the ball forwards and it would be interesting to see the number of times he and birch link up to run and carry the pill out of defense. As a team we are holding onto the ball more in the back half hence the shorter kicks. However once we start to cross the centre the ball has longer purpose from what I have seen.

Pop must play this week, cold & wet perfect for a small nugget like himself.

Lewis is playing a different role in the team and the number of scoring assists indicates that he is doin that particular role ok. I do prefer more run from him but it is also dependent on the role he is playing.

It will be as simple as how wants the ball most. I think our younger players like shield, savage will be super important this week. Loved the husle and busle of Roughy last week and he will have more to do again. If Renouf is not right, Hale & Rough worked really well agains melbourne and I would go this way again. Rioli if he plays need to play in the forward half. Amazingly dangerous and knows where to be to pick up the crumbs like savage did in the last quarter against port. Will be at the game so I hope it will not be as cold as today. Brrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back