Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Sydney - Rd18

Remove this Banner Ad

What? I have Phillips in two rotations. All mids spend a bit of time on the bench each quarter.

Why do you only post about Phillips? You literally post about nothing else. It’s ****ing bizarre.
It's the 29. Didn't realise I must post everywhere, apologies. He was terrible in the last quarter, lots of fumbles yet so many are surprised he's dropped. Never in all my day's supporting north have I seen a player be lauded for crap performances. That's why. Courage comes in many forms, running hard and training hard among them, it would appear Will might be lacking in a few departments. His fitness was better last year.

Last edited:
It’s funny, you look back at everyone’s weekly changes predictions.
As a forum, we’re going at about a 5% accuracy rate.
Probably less.

What’s even funnier is people selecting best 22s through the preseason.

If you can’t get the next weeks 22 right what hope is there of predicting a 22 months out?

I remember hearing that we rotated a tag on Greg Williams with three players one night game at the 'G. It's not like he was renowned for his tank but obviously Pagan wanted intensity. One was Scott, then Rock and I can't remember who the third was - maybe Stevo. Anyhow, the story goes that they sang nursery rhymes to him on instruction from Pagan the whole game and it made him very cranky.
Think it was 1993 and pretty sure Clarko was the other one WC funnily enough.

Probably less.

What’s even funnier is people selecting best 22s through the preseason.

If you can’t get the next weeks 22 right what hope is there of predicting a 22 months out?
To be honest I did have a feeling Phillips might be the one making way for Wardlaw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great recall Pres - you probably told me the story. Scott didn't arrive til 95 so probably Clarkson, Rock and Stevens?
I remember being at the game - it was a Sat night game when we were really flying. I reckon it was Rock and Clarkson taking turns.

Clarko was a brilliant tagger that year. I remember being at the Crows game at Football Park early in the season and he did a super aggressive blanket job on Andrew Jarman all night. I remember Jarman getting dragged in the last quarter and Clarko following and tormenting him all the way to the bench - only to be replaced by Wayne "Weed" Weidemann. They proceeded to have an outstanding man to man brawl on the member's wing with the crowd baying for blood! Great memories.

If Phillips goes out to make way for Wardlaw I'm going to be so disappointed.
I’m a little disappointed too, given how well he’s played over the last few weeks. However, on the other hand, it could be argued that it’s a great sign for the overall development of our depth - that Clarko reckons Will has to be squeezed out. I think it says a lot more about the overall quality of our midfield. At least, I’m going to content myself with that notion…

I remember being at the game - it was a Sat night game when we were really flying. I reckon it was Rock and Clarkson taking turns.

Clarko was a brilliant tagger that year. I remember being at the Crows game at Football Park early in the season and he did a super aggressive blanket job on Andrew Jarman all night. I remember Jarman getting dragged in the last quarter and Clarko following and tormenting him all the way to the bench - only to be replaced by Wayne "Weed" Weidemann. They proceeded to have an outstanding man to man brawl on the member's wing with the crowd baying for blood! Great memories.
Great reflections Pres - the halcyon days of 93. Insightful about Clarko - the roles Pagan gave him. I see that Diesel only had 5 kicks that night - keen to go back and watch both those games now.

In fact it’s more of an innovative theory along the lines of elite cycling.

Absolute flog your run with player until he can’t run any more and replace him with fresh legs to continue the role.

Personally I’d have started Phillips and had Shiels as the sub.
If you get an injury and phillips cooks himself you'd end up a player down. He's not up to tagging yet. In the third against Collingwood Daicos went forward and clarko kept will in the middle, knowing Daicos would go straight back there if will came off. It worked against us massively and will was cooked. The good taggers are able to follow a player wherever he goes and for the entirety of the game. We shouldn't be picking a sub to replace a player who's fitness isn't near the required level.

Love all this banter on selections and who should be in, and who shouldn’t. Would love to be a fly on the wall at the selection meetings as the magnets are tossed around the board.

This weeks selection and to quote Eckhart Tolle is about being in the moment, and just focusing on what is more important right now. It has to be winning this game of football. We see how much joy and confidence a win like last week brings the players, the club and its supporters. Place the best 23 on the paddock based on form, balance and experience to get us the chocolates. Wins in the 2nds shows the depth is building for the club.

If we deliver a win, then we know the selection committee got it right. If we don’t get the win then it might just be the Swans are just a better side no matter who we went with.

I would love to see Pinky and Stephens have their best games of the year to show the Swans they are now playing on the right team. Go Kangas.

Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Sydney - Rd18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back