Unofficial Preview Changes/discussion Round 20, Pineapple Grapple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s risky but we could play Starc as the third tall and put Beekin in. Maybe we go smaller and try and bank on them butchering the ball going inside 50. Might work in our favour in terms of rebound.

Just have to make sure our pressure game is elite. If we are getting done in the air then maybe we have Fort as the sub which gives us flexibility to swing a forward back.

I wonder if Ryan has played much in defence before? Could be another option.

They said Harris was concussed in that incident with 30 seconds to go which was a massive play by Harris. Perhaps he had a higher propensity to concussion after the earlier knock which I have no knowledge is possible.

This will severely test us and last time Harris missed was back in 2020 I believe but we actually had coverage back then. Our KPD stocks really are decimated with Harris, Gardiner, Payne and Doedee outs. If only Tommy Fullerton was around lol.

Prior has to play and play a bit taller and given the Suns know Harris is not playing you’d expect they’ll load up on a tall forward line.

Smith still has to come out for mine for Morris and Prior for Andrews.

Like others have said; it’s really incumbent on our mids to have one of their best games collectively to limit Suns forward forays.

I don't know about two knocks that close together but definitely more susceptible after one IF there is not sufficient healing time (and sometime its permanent obviously). And no one knows how to measure that healing time though there are lots of studies in this area across the bigger sporting codes.

Harris out is a massive challenge but I know Fagan will be selling it as massive opportunity to test ourselves. Hope to see Harris in the coaches box - at least then he isn't at home in a dark room dealing with headaches.

I guess rucks are getting tall. Not sure i would quite call Briggs undersized at 201cm but i guess that would be shorter than most other rucks.
I do wonder if he's got short arms for his height because I swear he plays shorter than you'd think as well but yes, you see Briggs against other rucks and he'll give away at least an inch to most these days.

It’s risky but we could play Starc as the third tall and put Beekin in. Maybe we go smaller and try and bank on them butchering the ball going inside 50. Might work in our favour in terms of rebound.

Just have to make sure our pressure game is elite. If we are getting done in the air then maybe we have Fort as the sub which gives us flexibility to swing a forward back.

I wonder if Ryan has played much in defence before? Could be another option.
Brandon Ryan way too slow to play in defence, from my viewing he is too slow up forward as well for AFL level footy.

They said Harris was concussed in that incident with 30 seconds to go which was a massive play by Harris. Perhaps he had a higher propensity to concussion after the earlier knock which I have no knowledge is possible.

This will severely test us and last time Harris missed was back in 2020 I believe but we actually had coverage back then. Our KPD stocks really are decimated with Harris, Gardiner, Payne and Doedee outs. If only Tommy Fullerton was around lol.

Prior has to play and play a bit taller and given the Suns know Harris is not playing you’d expect they’ll load up on a tall forward line.

Smith still has to come out for mine for Morris and Prior for Andrews.

Like others have said; it’s really incumbent on our mids to have one of their best games collectively to limit Suns forward forays.
Prior coming in gives me more confidence than hippy going back
He could take Walter or king

Dayne Zorko was miked up for the Swans game and when he went down early he said that he had done his ankle, not the corkie that most thought it was at the time.

Hopefully it didn't blow up when he cooled down after the game.

Dayne Zorko was miked up for the Swans game and when he went down early he said that he had done his ankle, not the corkie that most thought it was at the time.

Hopefully it didn't blow up when he cooled down after the game.

I think zorks would have to be at least half dead to miss the Suns game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I think Hipwood down back is a terrible idea. For a starting point I’d rather a guy playing taller at their end of the ground (and others working to support) than someone relatively foreign to that part of the ground.

Secondly, it completely skews out structure and takes away a huge strength.

Morris/Smith all of a sudden take the second best defender, and Daniher is left open to be double teamed.

I’d rather keep the midfield and forward line strong and have a makeshift backline for a week than a makeshift backline and an inexperienced forward line

We are going to be challenged to the extreme on Saturday. The Suns will smell blood.

The onus is on the midfield. It's them who'll need to win us the game this week. Tooth, nail, blood & sweat. Find a way to get the four points.

Just cover Andrews by not letting the ball get in their forward 50, simples.
100% agree. Double team to spoil and reduce clear one on ones, make them earn it.Our back leader and the best defensive back in the comp IMHO is difficult to replace however we need to replace a back with another back and hope he steps up to the task. I don’t believe you can create an instant back from another position.

I am not a fan of major disruption to cover an injury. Being a forward way harder than being a defensive kpd too.

Preferred option:
Morris for Smith.
Prior for Andrews.
Joyce gets King
Lester gets Walter
Prior gets Luko who i don’t think plays that tall despite his height.
Brain intercepts
Starce locks down
If excrement hits the ran with King, Hipwood on King, Joyce on walter, Lester as a key forward for hipwood

My logic is our best chance of stopping King is Joyce - he plays the position and has good size and athleticism. So i don’t see the point of having a tall that can’t really do anything else in the team just in case (ie ryan or to some extent smith). Let’s not weaken the 23!

We will miss harris in particular his intercept marking; brain might be able to help. Lester too given he is on the very raw walter

If we break even in the midfield we are a good chance of losing given our backline. we need at least a slight win there.

If we can survive this week and get harris back we really are primed.

Say it every week - huuuuge match!

Dlanod may know the answer to this but should the Lions take comfort and look to the Giants for beating the Suns given their Harris Andrews equivalent Sam Taylor also was an out against the Suns and got the job pretty easily?

I don’t know much about Giants other KPD but interested to know whether there are many similarities between us not having Andrews and them not having Taylor?

Dlanod may know the answer to this but should the Lions take comfort and look to the Giants for beating the Suns given their Harris Andrews equivalent Sam Taylor also was an out against the Suns and got the job pretty easily?

I don’t know much about Giants other KPD but interested to know whether there are many similarities between us not having Andrews and them not having Taylor?

Buckley is very good. Not really comparable, we are down our 3 first choice 'key' defenders (counting froggy as more of a third tall, doedee too).

Our mids need to pick up the slack and it’s really very we need to stick with Brain over McKenna here, we need to lock them out of the 50 as much as possible.
We've lost a lot of experience in backline now. If Fagan thinks conservative, he'll bring McKenna back for Brain. McKenna was managed and not injured so I expect him to slot back in, even though its not my preferred outcome. Let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back