Status
Not open for further replies.

Squizz89

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’d be tempted to keep the same team next week given how well we played especially in regards to our pressure.

Kiddy might miss with that hammy, so if he needs a rest I’d bring Prior back in to play a role off HB. Madden could be another option to bring some more speed in.

Harry wasn’t great in the first quarter but worked into it after that so I’d be tempted to give him a couple of games to see if he can work up to speed especially whilst Zorko is out anyway.

Answerth similar to Sharp, probably deserves to keep his spot based on the effort last night alone.

I’d be tempted to keep the same team next week given how well we played especially in regards to our pressure.

Kiddy might miss with that hammy, so if he needs a rest I’d bring Prior back in to play a role off HB. Madden could be another option to bring some more speed in.

Harry wasn’t great in the first quarter but worked into it after that so I’d be tempted to give him a couple of games to see if he can work up to speed especially whilst Zorko is out anyway.

Answerth similar to Sharp, probably deserves to keep his spot based on the effort last night alone.
Yes, on TV you also miss much of what players do off the ball and I would say Answerth and Sharp contributed a lot to our pressure around the ground being so good, very hard to come in for one off games and settle straight in, you need a run of games to get up to AFL pace... anyone at the game live notice them?

Also agree on if Kiddy is out although Fagan did say in the presser it was cramp.

We only had a couple of players down last night IMO, ie. Cam and Will, couple of others were quiet but did some good things eg. Darcy, Conor and Kiddy.

Already looking forward to next Saturday night, bring it on.

I’d go Ah Chee and Dev for Sharp and Answerth as we should have this week although I thought Sharp showed a bit

Fort for Oscar (Draper will be too mobile and tear Oscar apart) and Oscar was dominated in the ruck last night

Matho for sub

I'm going to give Sharp more of a pass mark - it looked like he took Zorko's role of a high half forward pushing on to a wing, and I don't recall him playing that role in the reserves as much. His forward pressure was willing but naive, but he did better with working space and was 50/50 at choosing his options which isn't bad given his inexperience.

Answerth was behind the ball more, in his standard role so I'll cut him less slack. Pressure was decent but his turnovers and disposal could really hurt us against a better team given where they happen. I'm not sure who the next up in this role would be - I definitely wouldn't send Sharp into it for example to try and bring Dev in.

Agree....time for Wilmot to find some form in the 2s.

... That was not the point I was trying to make.

Wilmot has played plenty of good footy this year and plays a pretty thankless role on the wing. After one quarter, people were quite unsavoury towards Harry and plenty who were seemed to stay quiet or double down when he started playing well.

I get we have our favourites and our whipping boys, but footy - and human beings/Footballers are rarely that black and white and football is a four quarter game. You may stink it up one quarter, but then have the next to seek redemption. Harry should be very proud of how he turned his game around and think fans should get behind him. His running and willingness to throw himself into contests played an important role in our 2nd and 3rd quarter dominance.

Sharp had some good touches after the first quarter. Had a better game than Wilmot.

I reckon changes will depend on how the VFL boys go.
Not sure I agree with this.

Sharp had more disposals, but I’m not sure he had a better game.

Was Sharp more involved, yes. But I believe that to be more a function of his role, than having a better game.

Not sure I agree with this.

Sharp had more disposals, but I’m not sure he had a better game.

Was Sharp more involved, yes. But I believe that to be more a function of his role, than having a better game.

Wilmot is absolutely the better player and is a best 22 player, but thought he was caught out of position a few times and had some fumbles. Equally, we needed him to provide more run off half back which he failed to do. Wasn't a terrible game by any means, but not a good game.

Outside of the first quarter, Sharp did better IMO.

If we did not see Sharp's first quarter we would be talking now "we have found our selves a player."
I'd err on the "we have ourselves a player. "

It is easier to dismiss but harder to persevere. I'd like to think that given the opportunity to build some consecutive games Sharpy will establish himself as a mainstay of the seniors. He has the tools. I like to see him keep his place until Zorks is ready to return.

... That was not the point I was trying to make.

Wilmot has played plenty of good footy this year and plays a pretty thankless role on the wing. After one quarter, people were quite unsavoury towards Harry and plenty who were seemed to stay quiet or double down when he started playing well.

I get we have our favourites and our whipping boys, but footy - and human beings/Footballers are rarely that black and white and football is a four quarter game. You may stink it up one quarter, but then have the next to seek redemption. Harry should be very proud of how he turned his game around and think fans should get behind him. His running and willingness to throw himself into contests played an important role in our 2nd and 3rd quarter dominance.
Nunez I get you're trying to pump him up at every opportunity and good on you for that but being realistic Ah Chee and Prior are a long way ahead of him imo. He looked to play better once the team got into full swing . He didn't give up ,so there were positives . But he gets brushed aside far too easily at this point. It was a big ask for him last night and no knock on him other than we have better players on the list.

Answerth I just can't have at all on the role they seem to have annointed him for. Far too sloppy. Once again not questioning his effort.

Gunston did some better things last night but again really hurts us the other way . He's way too slow .Everyone at the club keeps pumping him up and I suppose he'll kick 5 or 6 one day. We have a run of what looks like easier games so I guess we'll stick and those players ,well there's no hope of Gunston ever getting replaced ,should improve a bit. But I'd rather put time into players we know are competitive in high level pressure games like Ah Chee and Prior. Even Dev was good in finals last year.

Wilmot and Ashcroft are looking a bit tired but young guys can bounce back quickly with a quiet week .

We're here to give opinions and they're mine. Happy for fans to get behind players which we do at every game but part of what we do is analysing our best fits and being realistic isn't necessarily being unsupportive.

Apart from that if there were no changes ,as I expect , they'll probably go ok ,I just don't see them at the level required at the pointy end. If I was one of those missing out I'd be a bit miffed.

Love to get Fort in next week but likewise see little hope of that.

People talk about Gunston helping other players ,the one who's stepped up to help other players is Hipwood . He isn't as yet the offensive weapon we hoped he would be but he's contesting far more strongly this year, covering a lot of ground and bringing other players into the game dishing it off or getting in the way.

Really pleased with the way he's approaching his footy and making himself a valuable player without many highlight moments or useless stats.

Nunez I get you're trying to pump him up at every opportunity and good on you for that but being realistic Ah Chee and Prior are a long way ahead of him imo. He looked to play better once the team got into full swing . He didn't give up ,so there were positives . But he gets brushed aside far too easily at this point. It was a big ask for him last night and no knock on him other than we have better players on the list.

Answerth I just can't have at all on the role they seem to have annointed him for. Far too sloppy. Once again not questioning his effort.

Gunston did some better things last night but again really hurts us the other way . He's way too slow .Everyone at the club keeps pumping him up and I suppose he'll kick 5 or 6 one day. We have a run of what looks like easier games so I guess we'll stick and those players ,well there's no hope of Gunston ever getting replaced ,should improve a bit. But I'd rather put time into players we know are competitive in high level pressure games like Ah Chee and Prior. Even Dev was good in finals last year.

Wilmot and Ashcroft are looking a bit tired but young guys can bounce back quickly with a quiet week .

We're here to give opinions and they're mine. Happy for fans to get behind players which we do at every game but part of what we do is analysing our best fits and being realistic isn't necessarily being unsupportive.

Apart from that if there were no changes ,as I expect , they'll probably go ok ,I just don't see them at the level required at the pointy end. If I was one of those missing out I'd be a bit miffed.

Love to get Fort in next week but likewise see little hope of that.

I never said he was ahead of Prior or Ah Chee. I also said he would not have been picked if I was selecting the team & that I suspect he'll be dropped next week or the week after.

He played his role after the first quarter and should be proud of himself. I don't get why you can't just admit that because he wasn't the kid you'd have picked. He wasn't mine either, but take the blinders off and give credit where credit is due instead of saying 'well X would have done better!'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People talk about Gunston helping other players ,the one who's stepped up to help other players is Hipwood . He isn't as yet the offensive weapon we hoped he would be but he's contesting far more strongly this year, covering a lot of ground and bringing other players into the game dishing it off or getting in the way.

Really pleased with the way he's approaching his footy and making himself a valuable player without many highlight moments or useless stats.

Agreed. Hipwood IMO was the best of our three keys around the ground. Had some big moments including tackles, kicks and breaking even in marking contests. Glad he got a goal at the end, absolutely deserved it.

Agreed. Hipwood IMO was the best of our three keys around the ground. Had some big moments including tackles, kicks and breaking even in marking contests. Glad he got a goal at the end, absolutely deserved it.
He played angry, it was fun to see

Hipwood's TACKLING last night. Boy oh boy wowee. What on earth got into him? Never seen anything like it from him. More of that please!

Was one of the best key forward games without a goal I'd seen (until he kicked one on the siren). His pure contest work was great.

I never said he was ahead of Prior or Ah Chee. I also said he would not have been picked if I was selecting the team & that I suspect he'll be dropped next week or the week after.

He played his role after the first quarter and should be proud of himself. I don't get why you can't just admit that because he wasn't the kid you'd have picked. He wasn't mine either, but take the blinders off and give credit where credit is due instead of saying 'well X would have done better!'
Honestly I didn't think he was as good as you say. I did give him credit during the game when he did a couple of nice things and was really pleased he didn't drop his head after the first quarter and a half and kept going. And not disputing that he might make a player in time given his enormous tank.

I think my record for sticking up for players that everyone else is piling into is pretty much exemplary over time. But occasionally I believe the selectors have brain fades.

Honestly I didn't think he was as good as you say. I did give him credit during the game when he did a couple of nice things and was really pleased he didn't drop his head after the first quarter and a half and kept going. And not disputing that he might make a player in time given his enormous tank.

I think my record for sticking up for players that everyone else is piling into is pretty much exemplary over time. But occasionally I believe the selectors have brain fades.

He played his role and had some nice moments. That's literally all we needed him to do and he did it despite disaster first quarter.

Pretty much agree with this.

My only comment is, if he’s the player that Fagan picked as first in for the wing role while Zorko & Rich are out, leave him in the team until one or both the senior players are back.

Don’t go chopping and changing who plays wing each week. That sh!ts me more than not picking who I would have picked in the first place.

surely they finally drop McCarthy, hasn't contributed much, would rather play rainer/bailey forward a bit more to cover his spot and bring in a Dev

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back