Unofficial Preview Changes / discussion v Bombers Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much agree with this.

My only comment is, if he’s the player that Fagan picked as first in for the wing role while Zorko & Rich are out, leave him in the team until one or both the senior players are back.

Don’t go chopping and changing who plays wing each week. That sh!ts me more than not picking who I would have picked in the first place.

Oh I completely agree, I just expect Zorko will be back after the Essendon game.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016
because he doesn't deserve to be dropped or because Fagan wont mess with his line-up unless he absolutely has to?

because he doesn't deserve to be dropped or because Fagan wont mess with his line-up unless he absolutely has to?

Both.

Linc's not going to kick 2+ goals a week. A bit quieter last night but he's been really good at putting on pressure the last 4-5 games, and our forward line is scoring heavily and defending really well. Absolutely no reason to mess with it given we have lots of good midfield depth now.

Some people here love to talk about needing role players only to want to drop players for playing a role and not being flashy.

McCarthy and Rayner were quiet but you don’t get the suffocating forward half defence and turnover we did if we suddenly had two players ‘not doing much’. The same can be said for Answerth and Gunston. The entire second and third quarters consisted of our entire forward line gut running to prevent their halfbacks like Saad and Newman from getting a running handball and opening up the game. We combined this with tightly marking any short options and the result was Carlton using up their time on the mark and being pressured into either kicking it to a outmanned contest or even straight up turning it over.

That doesn’t happen if there’s players on our team ‘not doing much’ and with Bailey and Charlie kicking four and Joey and Gunston kicking two I don’t see why Linc was suddenly needed to kick a couple to be considered good. He kicked three last week and wasn’t the benefactor on any of the crumbing goals this week and that’s okay.

Dev would be doing no better in the same role. There’s only so much footy and goals to go around and I feel like some people forget that.

Finally, I think Answerth brought what we especially missed without Zorko in round one. He brings some frantic energy that can inspire the effort from everyone else. His mistakes were far outweighed by his pressure and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some people here love to talk about needing role players only to want to drop players for playing a role and not being flashy.

McCarthy and Rayner were quiet but you don’t get the suffocating forward half defence and turnover we did if we suddenly had two players ‘not doing much’. The same can be said for Answerth and Gunston. The entire second and third quarters consisted of our entire forward line gut running to prevent their halfbacks like Saad and Newman from getting a running handball and opening up the game. We combined this with tightly marking any short options and the result was Carlton using up their time on the mark and being pressured into either kicking it to a outmanned contest or even straight up turning it over.

That doesn’t happen if there’s players on our team ‘not doing much’ and with Bailey and Charlie kicking four and Joey and Gunston kicking two I don’t see why Linc was suddenly needed to kick a couple to be considered good. He kicked three last week and wasn’t the benefactor on any of the crumbing goals this week and that’s okay.

Dev would be doing no better in the same role. There’s only so much footy and goals to go around and I feel like some people forget that.

Finally, I think Answerth brought what we especially missed without Zorko in round one. He brings some frantic energy that can inspire the effort from everyone else. His mistakes were far outweighed by his pressure and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Its been like 2 years since we've seen this much application to team defence both in terms of structure and attitude from our forward half players. Why change that?

Both.

Linc's not going to kick 2+ goals a week. A bit quieter last night but he's been really good at putting on pressure the last 4-5 games, and our forward line is scoring heavily and defending really well. Absolutely no reason to mess with it given we have lots of good midfield depth now.
agree with not kicking 2+ goals a week, but I think he just goes missing too much, and last night especially even when he was around the ball he couldn't make an impact

surely they finally drop McCarthy, hasn't contributed much, would rather play rainer/bailey forward a bit more to cover his spot and bring in a Dev
His pressure in the forward 50 is a big part of our recent success.

Absolutely manic and neither Dev or Rayner could come close to replicating it.

I reckon Linc was carrying that hip soreness from last week. No way I would have dropped him in an important match as long as he could get on the field. That forward pressure, especially in the third, was elite and is the blueprint for us winning finals.

I reckon Linc was carrying that hip soreness from last week. No way I would have dropped him in an important match as long as he could get on the field. That forward pressure, especially in the third, was elite and is the blueprint for us winning finals.
With guys like Cameron, Bailey and Rayner in there we need someone like Linc to do a lot of donkey work and he's just about undroppable in my view.

surely they finally drop McCarthy, hasn't contributed much, would rather play rainer/bailey forward a bit more to cover his spot and bring in a Dev

McCarthy has been really good lol.

Sharp is only 20. I’d give him another game. Looked improved.

Maybe bring prior or Ah Chee in for Answerth. I think they give us a more reliable performance playing at that 22/23 on depth.

Answerth stays in. Haven’t seen the game but he has immense pressuring ability.

Our defence looked to have held up well without the games biggest superstar in Rich out. Wouldn’t have thought that without the goatiest goat out but we did it.
:thumbsu:Personally I think we are a better side without Richy now, he is past his best, puts in the occasional good performance but they are few and far between these days, I would give Prior a permanent crack at that role, he could grow into much like Payne did his.

He isn't getting dropped though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much agree with this.

My only comment is, if he’s the player that Fagan picked as first in for the wing role while Zorko & Rich are out, leave him in the team until one or both the senior players are back.

Don’t go chopping and changing who plays wing each week. That sh!ts me more than not picking who I would have picked in the first place.
Give the kid a chance.
He was picked for a reason, let him have a bit of time to settle.
That was a pretty high pressure game last night.
Pretty hard game to come in for you first one in quite a while.

Give the kid a chance.
I don't think anyone disagrees with those sentiments.

But I feel for those who offer more presently and aren't getting a crack.

Whoever came in now is up for a good run of games where the team should be too good for the opposition and plenty of opportunity to show whatever you've got.

Give the kid a chance.
Nor have I criticised his performance last night.

Happy for the team to remain unchanged but would be equally happy to see one of Dev or Ah Chee get a run. Pretty pointless swapping players out here and there though, need to give players coming in from the VFL a chance to settle. I wonder if Sharp was brought in specifically to play at Marvel and combat Carlton's run and whether the coaches will opt for someone like Ah Chee or Prior next week.

Lohmann is starting to find form in the reserves, he will be first in if one of Rayner, Bailey or McCarthy go down.

I don't think anyone disagrees with those sentiments.

But I feel for those who offer more presently and aren't getting a crack.

Whoever came in now is up for a good run of games where the team should be too good for the opposition and plenty of opportunity to show whatever you've got.
I agree, if I was a selector I think I would have picked Prior over Sharp.
But now he has been selected and worked his way into the game well, I think he needs to be rewarded and keep his spot.
Answerth imo was the right selection for Zorks.

I agree, if I was a selector I think I would have picked Prior over Sharp.
But now he has been selected and worked his way into the game well, I think he needs to be rewarded and keep his spot.
Answerth imo was the right selection for Zorks.
Except based off where they played, it looked like Sharp for Zorko and Answerth for Rich. Given that I think I'd go Prior in for Answerth.

Prior would have wanted to put up a better performance today in the VFL to put some pressure on the selectors, thought he was fairly invisible.

Except based off where they played, it looked like Sharp for Zorko and Answerth for Rich. Given that I think I'd go Prior in for Answerth.
Not completely sure I agree with that really given their starting positions on the ground.
Wilmot started on ground in defence in replace of Rich imo, both Answerth and Sharp both went straight to the wing when they come onto the ground and as a winger does, both floated forward and back as the game flowed.
Answerth may have started in the back half at times but he also started in the forward half other times especially early in the game.

I'm pretty happy to field the same team, maybe Prior for Kiddy if necessary. If Fages wanted to rotate Answerth and Sharp I'd still be ok with it, but think both played their roles overall. Should be some interesting match ups against the bombers, reckon they will be harder than the Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back