Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v the Suns, Round 10.

Who wins by how many?

• Lions by 1-19.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Lions by 20-39.

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Lions by 40+

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Draw.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Suns by 1-19.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Suns by 20-39.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suns by 40+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but McStay is irrelevant to Gunston, it's about Fullaton, Fort and other options in 2023.
Other than CEY, history shows that during Fagans time at the club we don’t specifically hunt out players via trade to play VFL.
Gunston will either play AFL or be rested, this year atleast.

Respectfully, is Gunston playing the Gunston role well? I watched him quite closely last night when he was up my end of the ground and he was soundly beaten by the oppositions rookie third tall and could not get front position at all. It was very surprising to see him beaten that badly.

Regarding whether Fullarton will get in the other forwards ways - there is only one way to find out. One thing is certain though, he is thriving as a forward in the VFL.

Agree, was surprising how often he was easily out positioned in the marking contest.

Since Fort got dropped against the Pies and Joe has been playing backup ruck we've won every game comfortably. Fullarton might need to show more than kicking a bag against the Bombers thirds and show more than being okay at reserves level the rest of the season for Fagan to drop Gunston, in the midst of a winning spree. Results should be taken into consideration.

In saying that it was nice to see a reserves big kicking a few. Shows depth.

Other than contested what had Dan ever done better than Gunston?

At the moment? I’d say his 2021 season has 2023 Gunston covered in basically every facet of the game except maybe on field coaching

I couldn’t care less what Gunston has done before this year because clearly he’s no longer capable of doing any of it

The problem with Tommy previously to my eye has been his competitiveness in the contest especially for a big guy. I don’t think talent was ever really an issue but if he has improved that competitive side of his game I’d be all for giving him another go in the seniors to see if he now has what it takes. Could be another point of difference for us with his skills at ground level for a guy his size.
In previous years I would have agreed. But his contesting in the VFL has greatly improved this year. I really think he should get a chance while his confidence is up. Three out of the last four games he has been very good.

Gunston can't seem to run ,man up , bend over to pick the ball up , win a 1 on 1 ,or stop his man running off him which happened incessantly in the first half last night .

I greatly respect Gunston the player and what he has achieved but that's not what he's bringing here at the moment and if it was Fullarton or Fort playing like that they wouldn't last a week.

Just being honest in what I see but if he can get back to near what he was by all means play him.

Last edited:
Ah Chee, Cockatoo, Fort, Lyons?
AhChee has played plenty of Senior footy, Cockatoo was always a risk that was worth taking, Fort is doing exactly what he was brought to the club for (a backup Ruck), and Jarryd Lyons played 4 years of footy before being dropped on form.

AhChee has played plenty of Senior footy, Cockatoo was always a risk that was worth taking, Fort is doing exactly what he was brought to the club for (a backup Ruck), and Jarryd Lyons played 4 years of footy before being dropped on form.

I’d say Gunston was a risk as well given he was clearly slowing down

I don’t think we would’ve expected him to lose his agility to this extent

I’d say Gunston was a risk as well given he was clearly slowing down

I don’t think we would’ve expected him to lose his agility to this extent
I am not disagreeing with you that he has slowed down and lost agility, that is obvious.
But he is still playing a valuable role for the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston can't seem to run ,man up , bend over to pick the ball up , win a 1 on 1 ,or stop his man running off him which happened incessantly in the first half last night .

I greatly respect Gunston the player and what he has achieved but that's not what he's bringing here at the moment and if it was Fullarton or Fort playing like that they wouldn't last a week.

Just being honest in what I see but if he can get back to near what he was by all means play him.
Imagine if his name started with ‘P’ for Prior or ‘R’ for Robertson or ‘M’ for Mathieson or ‘F’ for Fort and Fullerton! Fortunately his name starts with ‘G’ for gee I love looking at Gunston run on with the seniors!
It is a Fagan thing.

We just have to bring Fullarton in this week, it's a no brainer.

He kicked six goals in the VFL win & if our club stands for anything, we can't have good performances go unrewarded.

In: Fullarton
Out: Daniher
I agree.

Plus Daniher will be a great teacher for the guys in the VFL teaching them running patterns , creating space for the likes of whoever else is playing there and how to roost it from outside the 50.

State league affiliate: Brisbane (VFL)
This weekend: Brisbane v Essendon at Brighton Homes Arena, Sunday May 14, 12.05pm AEST

MATCH CENTRE Check out all the stats from Brisbane's clash

Key forward Tom Fullarton kicked six goals in the Lions’ 68-point thrashing of Essendon on Sunday.

Veteran on-baller Jarryd Lyons also hit the scoreboard with two goals among game-high numbers of disposals (34), tackles (six) and clearances (eight).

Still yet to sign a contract extension, Kai Lohmann kicked three goals.

Callum Ah Chee and Rhys Mathiesonmirrored each other’s stats with 28 disposals and one goal, with Deven Robertson (27 disposals, one goal) just short of making it a threesome.

I don't see any changes that's needed for the Suns game excluding unknown injuries.
Arguably our 3 worse players were Gunston, Berry & Cameron
Cameron and Berry won't be dropped.
I thought Gunston was good against a better team in Carlton the previous week so don't see him being replaced either.

Maybe someone gets a managed beside their name.
However, with only 2 games to the bye, the Essendon game would have been a better time to do that.

Big O did get a knee to the ribs and was down for a while but played on. See how he pulls up this week.

I don't see any changes that's needed for the Suns game excluding unknown injuries.
Arguably our 3 worse players were Gunston, Berry & Cameron
Cameron and Berry won't be dropped.
I thought Gunston was good against a better team in Carlton the previous week so don't see him being replaced either.

Maybe someone gets a managed beside their name.
However, with only 2 games to the bye, the Essendon game would have been a better time to do that.

Big O did get a knee to the ribs and was down for a while but played on. See how he pulls up this week.
I don't understand how people thought Cameron had a poor game.

He did a power of running up the ground to help out defensively and provide an outlet option for the the ball coming out of defense. And he provided fantastic pressure n the forward 5. He didn't have his kicking boots on, but he did everything else you want to see from a pressure small forward.

He did a power of running up the ground to help out defensively and provide an outlet option for the the ball coming out of defense. And he provided fantastic pressure n the forward 5. He didn't have his kicking boots on, but he did everything else you want to see from a pressure small forward.
I thought he tried really hard and did a lot of what you elaborated on.

Can someone in the coaching group please let him know that a banana from 40m out has no hope of getting the required height and distance and is almost guaranteed to go OOB or a point at best. Distances and goals that he's shown he can easily get with a drop punt.

Charlie's a champ and we all love him but when things don't go his way offensivesly and he's not kicking goals he starts to make half hearted attempts like last night where it's just not my night sort of thing.

But I agree up the ground and as far as trying to limit his opponent he never stopped trying.

Lyons was carrying an injury?

This from the AFL site discussing Robertson’s inclusion for the Richmond Final last year.

“With Jarryd Lyons (groin) missing, Robertson was assigned the task of quietening the Tigers' best midfielder, Dion Prestia, which he did admirably for most of the first half before the triple premiership ball-winner had a late flurry prior to injuring his hamstring.”

Last edited:

He was well down on form and well beaten on the day by a good small defender. Things just did not work out for him.
He had 9 disposals 3 were turnovers.
Having low disposal numbers is not unusual for him as he only averages around 10 to 11 over the last 3 years.
Had 6 disposals inside forward 50, 2 on the wing and 1 on the defense 50-meter line.
He did some of the things you mentioned but did not lay one tackle.
This is the first game in 2023 that he has not laid a tackle.
He fumbled a lot of the ball which he normally would not do.
He tried to get the over the back ball that has been good for him this year.
But that was not really working that well because McGrath a good player was too good for Cameron on the day.
He has had a great year but that was not a good game from him in my opinion.
You can't play well all the time.

McKenna, McCarthy, Starcevich, Wilmot, Sharp and Hippy all played better than Cameron. The remainder all played much better.
That why i said he was in the 3 worse players for the Lions. Gunston and Berry the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back