Unofficial Preview Changes for Carlton (team in OP) IN Reid, Ramsay, De Goey OUT Schade, Broomhead , Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the changes make sense.
DeGoey and Reid obviously need to come in.

Ramsay is probably there to provide a little more in defence (DeGoey won't be down there), so Broomhead unfortunately has to sit it out.

I like the fact the Broomhead is very clean with his touch, he just needs to find it more and he can be a very strong player for us. Hopefully we see it this year. If not.......

Maybe, was a class act at Collingwood (until his departure), he may have one performance left in him. I was a big fan when he played with us, would like him to finish his career on a positive as long as we win.
I'm still a big fan.
The 2010 finals series is tattooed on my brain
What a performance! What a two time GF performance!
He may have been seduced by his alternate father to betray us, but always, always a FLAGPIE!

I think the changes make sense.
DeGoey and Reid obviously need to come in.

Ramsay is probably there to provide a little more in defence (DeGoey won't be down there), so Broomhead unfortunately has to sit it out.

I like the fact the Broomhead is very clean with his touch, he just needs to find it more and he can be a very strong player for us. Hopefully we see it this year. If not.......
He's been around a while now Broomhead, would have been keen to see him go again this week

I'm still a big fan.
The 2010 finals series is tattooed on my brain
What a performance! What a two time GF performance!
He may have been seduced by his alternate father to betray us, but always, always a FLAGPIE!
Agree.
His dual grand finals were fantastic.
These days he's just a shell but he still has his flag (and his dad loves him ;))

If you had to pick the best player of ours in the two grand finals combined he'd be hard to toss.

Well said, I think he has it in him. In one of his early games he looked like he was going to explode. Could have been against the dogs? Was just unfortunate he got injured at the time. He's the type of player that will need a few games pumped into, ala Maynard.

Amazing how quick people can turn on someone.
I thought he had a lot to offer at first and I still believe he can overcome this set-back and be a decent player. He has had a bad start to the year despite high possession numbers. I still think he will make a decent defender given some time in the VFL to reinvent his game. I am not yet ready to dismiss Ramsay as a future player.

Yeah I watched on TV, not that it makes a difference. Every time the ball got near Hawkins it was Dunn by his side. Regardless of whether Schade rotated on to him or not, it was always Dunn that was there doing the job when it was needed. Or do we credit players who rotate on a player for a few minutes here and there with quelling their influence now?
Schade was constantly switching onto him, and then when he wasn't (and he was playing on Dangerfield, just as difficult), everytime the ball was kicked into the 50 towards Hawkins, Schade left his man and came over the top to help on Hawkins.

However you spin it Schade was an important part of our defense in a great defensive performance by our backman. For mine he didnt need to be dragged (apparently "managed") when there are other players who performed worse, and there is another viable position for Reid. The reason he isn't playing is not because he deserves it, but because Buckley refuses to play Reid as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said, I think he has it in him. In one of his early games he looked like he was going to explode. Could have been against the dogs? Was just unfortunate he got injured at the time. He's the type of player that will need a few games pumped into, ala Maynard.

Amazing how quick people can turn on someone.

There was a moment in a game against GC unless I'm mistaken where he won a contested situation, ran away from Ablett through the square, took a few bounces and drilled a bullet pass onto the chest of a leading Cloke. That for me was the moment I thought we could have something in Ramsay. Off the back of a season ruined by an ACL, I think he will need time but definitely has the potential to be anything but a vanilla HBF. Just needs games under his belt.

Schade was constantly switching onto him, and then when he wasn't (and he was playing on Dangerfield, just as difficult), everytime the ball was kicked into the 50 towards Hawkins, Schade left his man and came over the top to help on Hawkins.

However you spin it Schade was an important part of our defense in a great defensive performance by our backman. For mine he didnt need to be dragged (apparently "managed") when there are other players who performed worse, and there is another viable position for Reid. The reason he isn't playing is not because he deserves it, but because Buckley refuses to play Reid as a forward.

Was at the game and I think you're overstating Schade's game. He was good, no more. Dunn was on Hawkins other than those few occasions he ran off to create and other defenders covered for him. It was just as often that the Sack and Howe got across to support as it was Schade.

Agree.
His dual grand finals were fantastic.
These days he's just a shell but he still has his flag (and his dad loves him ;))

If you had to pick the best player of ours in the two grand finals combined he'd be hard to toss.
Yes I hardly remember them well. We all drew our players out the hat and I drew Daisy. Every time your player got the ball you had to have a shot. I passed out After crawling to the back room of my mates house. Lucky to see the end of the first GF.

Was at the game and I think you're overstating Schade's game. He was good, no more. Dunn was on Hawkins other than those few occasions he ran off to create and other defenders covered for him. It was just as often that the Sack and Howe got across to support as it was Schade.
Possibly the visions i have in my head of the game, and our defense were of Schade switching alot, i'll accept that.

I do think though, unlike almost everywhere else on the ground, it is super important for the defense to operate as a cohesive unit. Each man covering the other when its needed and i felt we did a great job of that on the weekend. I'm giving Schade alot of credit yes, because i believe as a young 23 year old he has done a great job down back thus far in the year.

I guess im just not sure he deserves to not get a game when other, more senior players (Goldsack) have failed to step up at times this year.

Possibly the visions i have in my head of the game, and our defense were of Schade switching alot, i'll accept that.

I do think though, unlike almost everywhere else on the ground, it is super important for the defense to operate as a cohesive unit. Each man covering the other when its needed and i felt we did a great job of that on the weekend. I'm giving Schade alot of credit yes, because i believe as a young 23 year old he has done a great job down back thus far in the year.

I guess im just not sure he deserves to not get a game when other, more senior players (Goldsack) have failed to step up at times this year.

Agree it was a tough call on the kid. He'll get more chances.

Goldsack has been great this year.

With these changes we are really near full strength.

De Goey had to come in and while Broomy is a little unlucky that's the situation that arises when you have good depth.

With Varcoe out a defender needed to come in to replace his role from last week. Ramsay is a good choice. I don't think he has Been as bad as many others think and has a very bright future. We need a speedster off HB with good kicking skills who is also brave. Sinclair is no 1 option when fit and Varcoe no 2. Ramsay will need to continue to improve once Varcoe is fit again.

Reid is a no brained, Schade is unlucky but again this is good for our depth.

As things stand we have Varcoe, Sinclair injured who are best 22. Langdon if he returns to pre injury form is in that argument. Schade, Broomy, Aish, Blair, Mayne, Wills, Keeffe, Crocker are outside best 22 but can come in and fill a role if required and others like Daicos, Shaz etcetera are developing players who may become best 22 if they develop. Good depth isn't it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back