Prediction Changes for Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Also concerned a bit with our top heavy backline. Feels like we have too many defenders.
Houston should get more mid minutes, push Bergman up to rotate with Amon and Motlop on the wing.

The problem is that Mckenzie is very stagnant with the ball and I can't see him being able to change his play style because he has been playing like this for so long and his body is now built to play as a kpd.

I feel we will be relying very heavily on Burton, DBJ and even Aliir to be carrying the ball and working hard up the ground to provide some bounce from half back.

Clurey for Bonner feels very experimental, like playing 4 kpfs earlier in the year, and I'm not sure I am happy with us getting experimental when we are playing one of the best teams in the comp. Would've preferred us to stick with the same structure.

Agree. Hopefully Duursma next week and then Jones a couple weeks later.
With Farrell and Bonner now gone, barring further injuries I'm not sure there's anybody who I'd be moving out of our side for Jones TBH. Bergman, Lienert, Mayes are all in better form than anything Jones has shown this year, and one of those guys has to come out for Duursma. Potentially Hartlett too if he keeps up last week's form.

They'll still play McKenzie deep. I think he could easily play up the ground because he's a great intercept marker and can pick off a pass nicely too, but they like him deep one on one because he's our best one on one defender.

Isn't it amazing that a player with all of these strengths (which were recognised by the coaches in last year's B&F) was left out for half the season and actually never would've got in if not for injury.

I'm thinking the Clurey selection is as much about experimenting with the 4 tall defenders in the one team as anything else.
We certainly need to find out before Finals.

Geelong had two 187cm defenders last year the other six notables were all taller than 191cm. We are hardly breaking the mold, this experiment has been done and it works. We just need to use slower ball movement out of our back half, then explode from centre forward. Which we can because we have three-four target men, think West Coast 2018 and Brisbane this year. Ports forward half has enough speed to counteract our height, plus our talls are all rather mobile.

Jonas will take Fritsch and Clurey and Mackenzie will rotate between McDonald/Gawn/Jackson. Our back line, for once, will have legitimate match ups regardless of resting ruck scenarios. Burton will obviously get first crack at Pickett but could also see DBJ getting a crack as well. I don't feel we are top heavy with this at all given how mobile Clurey/Mackenzie are and it will allow Aliir to float and be the chop out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a worrying selection if you ask me.

Aliir, Jonas, Clurey, Lienert, McKenzie and Burton is a huge backline. Huge. That's a massive risk.

We're going to need to intercept a lot, and avoid large 'all up' marking contests leaving easy crumbs to them.

I agree Bonner had to go, that was his worst game for the year last week. Just terrible. However I would have brought in HH.

My only concern is Clurey coming in lacking match practice. Didn't see the magpies last week but sounded like he was pretty rusty. He's a flaky type even when match fit, sometimes looks solid and other times a clumsy clanger-merchant. Hope we get the former tomorrow night.

I am happy with the selections. Our defence is one of our strengths, so not concerned with that. Our problem is our inability to win midfield clearances despite having the best Bull in the comp, and our constantly predictable forward entries.

Get those two right and we are a top-2 team and can beat the Dees, or anyone for that matter.

I am happy with the selections. Our defence is one of our strengths, so not concerned with that. Our problem is our inability to win midfield clearances despite having the best Bull in the comp, and our constantly predictable forward entries.

Get those two right and we are a top-2 team and can beat the Dees, or anyone for that matter.

Burton is quick, Lienert no slouch, McKenzie has burst speed, so were no slouches. Plus the wingers will push back with mids for running speed. If they don't and are lazy, I guess we will kick it long down the line.

Aliir, Jonas, Clurey, Lienert, McKenzie and Burton is a huge backline. Huge. That's a massive risk.

Have you seen Melbourne's forward line? It's not a risk at all considering how top heavy they are and on top of that Burton has been our best defender to put on small forwards this year.

I find the last part interesting. I thought the biggest issue sides have faced with Gawn is that he defends incredibly well.

We will really be challenged to not just bomb it in and instead lower the eyes you would think.

The problem is that Mckenzie is very stagnant with the ball and I can't see him being able to change his play style because he has been playing like this for so long and his body is now built to play as a kpd.

I feel we will be relying very heavily on Burton, DBJ and even Aliir to be carrying the ball and working hard up the ground to provide some bounce from half back.

Clurey for Bonner feels very experimental, like playing 4 kpfs earlier in the year, and I'm not sure I am happy with us getting experimental when we are playing one of the best teams in the comp. Would've preferred us to stick with the same structure.

Bergman is a decent asset in this space as well. Can go anywhere but we might well get him running off half-back.

Frederick sub again I hope, coz two weeks in a row now he’s basically played a full game without expecting to and still doing a great job.
And hopefully this week, he won't be needed in the first quarter!!!

That would be our defensive quadrangle of doom. Hope we get the matchups right and still have plenty of run out of defense. This may free up Aliir a lot.

Don't mind the extra tall, I think Jonas is at his best on medium marking forward types anyway. Fritsch is a perfect matchup for him size wise, hopefully he can clamp him down because Fritsch has been one of their main scoring outlets this year.

MD/Interceptor: Jonas
Loose tall/Interceptor: Aliir
KPDs: Clurey and McKenzie
SD/running halfbacks: Burton and DBJ
Bench defender: Leinert
Rotating to halfback: Houston, Bergman

I really like that mix, fits with each player's strength. Jonas, Burton and Aliir also provide flexibility to switch key matchups if one of their forwards are getting on top.

I think we are all just spooked because Hinkley usually wants half a team of back flankers. Now we have a normal amount, let's see how this mix goes.

Last edited:
That's a worrying selection if you ask me.

Not concerned - they're all mobile and agile apart from Clurey and Jonas these days.

Unless the forecast is for rain (which I haven't checked), we will be fine with this.

Burton is quick, Lienert no slouch, McKenzie has burst speed, so were no slouches. Plus the wingers will push back with mids for running speed. If they don't and are lazy, I guess we will kick it long down the line.

Not all about speed though, agility plays a big part. McKenzie has the 4th fastest recorded top speed in the AFL at 36.4km/hr - last year in Rd1 vs GC, but I wouldn't be playing him on Kosi Pickett

Between Burton and DBJ, we can cover Pickett.

Fritsch will be the tougher match up, he's incredibly intelligent, agile and a good mark for his size. This would usually be a great matchup for Jonas, but i'm a bit concerned by his form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back