Prediction Changes for Richmond - out: Varcoe, Crocker, in: Blair, Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The VFL team has a bye this week. The next game is Saturday week vs. Werribee.

If the VFL team has a bye, the team selection is even more baffling. There’s no benefit not playing Fasolo or Wells in the 1’s. They’re not gonna get much “game practice” or “match fitness” having a pie and a beer at the game....

Very very odd

We'll miss Varcoe's pace and pressure, which would have been especially important against Richmond. None of our ins have the same pace either. That said I think it's a smart move given Varcoe's injury history.

Not sure about Smith being named on the extended bench either, he's still adapting to the shift to half forward plus DeGoey, Elliott and Fasolo have all been made to come back through the twos. Perhaps the VFL bye plays a part, but again I don't see him as an instant in.

Sier might be close to Varcoe for pace but lacks many of the other traits Varcoe brings.

Matt Crouch back in time after a hammy for Adelaide. Yet we can’t get Adams, Moore and Elliott back in after minor strains..

Well Crouch did his on March 29, so by game day it will be 30 days, 9 days longer than the standard AFL rule of 21 days for hamstrings.

Adams and Elliott did theirs on April 11th, so by game day it will only be 18 days since the injury. Yes they may have been minor, but the club claims everything is minor after all, for all we know they could have been quite serious and I imagine they were never going to rush Elliott in any case.

Darcy Moore did his on the 31st of March - two days after Crouch and his was never reported as minor, he was always projected to be at least a 4 week recovery. Not surprising they are being cautious with him either after his history with hamstring injuries.

Will miss varcoe's pressure and pace don't see how the ins help cover that would have liked to see faz wells and Mclarty in contention

Sier playing as an inside mid might free up one of the other mids to play more on the outside, i don't mind it. On the team sheet it says langdon is an emergency which makes sense as richmond doesn't have an overly tall forward line... I could also see (HOPE) they give appleby a run as a smaller lock down defender to play on one of richmond's quick small forwards (butler/costagna etc.). would rather those two debuting and seeing varcoe and langdon out than a nonsensical one/two of smith, mayne, blair.

Faz in for varcoe wouldn't be a like for like, Faz for crocker would be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am extremely underwhelmed by those ins. I do find the bench interesting though. One or more of Thomas, Crocker or Langdon potentially rested alongside Varcoe.

Sier and Appleby are really the only two ins I’d be happy with. Appleby maybe to deal with the Tigers fleet of small forwards? Mayne, Blair and Smith can stay in the VFL please.

I thought it was on SBS?
It is (or rather, was). Last night.
Cant see it
It's being shown (repeat I presume) late tonight and also tomorrow morning:- https://www.yourtv.com.au/program/the-marngrook-footy-show/208361/

Thu 26 April 11:30-1:00am
nitv-a693a43f.png

The Marngrook Footy Show

Fri 27 April 11:00-12:30pm
nitv-a693a43f.png

The Marngrook Footy Show

You can watch it "on demand" now if you like: https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1208607299955/the-marngrook-footy-show

Last edited:
If we had've picked Fasolo, Wells or similar in our squad and left them out tomorrow, it gives the message that they're not actually best 22, which isn't the case. The reason they're likely not in the side is because they're not yet ready to come in and stay in.

I'm trying to reserve judgement until tomorrow night when the team is finalised. I feel like Blair is the most likely to come in for Varcoe, but gee it'd be nice if we just put Sier in the guts and put Brown into Varcoe's position.

Appleby would be a handy inclusion given who we are up against, but suspect he'd have to be replacing the likes of a Maynard if he was to ever come in.

Mayne would be a sensible Reid or Crocker replacement should either come out. Despite the hysteria around Mayne, his start to the season is probably deserving of a call up.

As for Smith? NFI. Must be one of Buckley's "rewarding hard work and good attitude" moments!

If we had've picked Fasolo, Wells or similar in our squad and left them out tomorrow, it gives the message that they're not actually best 22, which isn't the case. The reason they're likely not in the side is because they're not yet ready to come in and stay in.

I'm trying to reserve judgement until tomorrow night when the team is finalised. I feel like Blair is the most likely to come in for Varcoe, but gee it'd be nice if we just put Sier in the guts and put Brown into Varcoe's position.

Appleby would be a handy inclusion given who we are up against, but suspect he'd have to be replacing the likes of a Maynard if he was to ever come in.

Mayne would be a sensible Reid or Crocker replacement should either come out. Despite the hysteria around Mayne, his start to the season is probably deserving of a call up.

As for Smith? NFI. Must be one of Buckley's "rewarding hard work and good attitude" moments!

Maynes game last week was pretty putrid though.

If the VFL team has a bye, the team selection is even more baffling. There’s no benefit not playing Fasolo or Wells in the 1’s. They’re not gonna get much “game practice” or “match fitness” having a pie and a beer at the game....

Very very odd
Yes, I agree. I had those two coming into 'my' side, though I wasn't so sure they'd pick Wells I did think Fasolo was a near certainty.

It's bloody inconvenient that the reserves aren't playing this week, that's for sure. Getting Wells "up to speed" as quickly as possible is important, so I'd have had him playing on Sunday against the Tigers rather than sitting on the sidelines.

Super optimistic here: Appelby in and Howe forward for a better back 6 balance against the small Richmond forward line. Please be the case. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back