Unofficial Preview Changes for week one of Finals (Out: Madgen, Murphy, Ox : In: Treloar, Howe, Goldsack)

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the way you have gone through the thinking process of selection.

You’re likely right with how they would view Moore if he’s ready enough.
For me it’s a no brainer if Moore is right he plays- you just can’t beat his athletic attack on the ball. He’d be a headache for WC far more than Madgen.

I instinctively feel Treloar is back more Prelim week (if we get there ofcourse).
But hes in the moment he’s ready enough.
Agree just play him forward area.
He’d drive defences crazy - and if he gets off the chain well... goals!

I’m a bit more Goldsack only in an emergency as it’s a huge effort from
A damaged knee to a final; and he’s a warrior more than class player.

For our final in Perth I’d think it will be really simple with one change:

Howe returns for Oxley.

The four emergencies (and I’d even take Them all plus a spare big man in case)

Emergencies: Oxley, Fasolo, Appleby, McLarty.

Or if Moore ok and up and about:

In: Howe, Moore

Out: Oxley, Madgen

Emergencies: Madgen, Oxley, Fasolo, Appleby with spare big man taken in McLarty.

NB: if Appleby is fine he can be named if not suggest Daicos as an emergency type.

Just do not want to short on a tall if something happens last moment. Pay the fine, move on.

Yeah agree with all that.

If Moore is fit you have to play him. I think WCE are bringing in Kennedy after same number of weeks 'out' so if he is ready to go you play him. If Treloar is ready I would play him but the hard ground in WA and the travel might be an issue for he and Moore. Interesting times.

Do we think Varcoe will play now? Probably unlikely.

If Moore is fit you have to play him. I think WCE are bringing in Kennedy after same number of weeks 'out' so if he is ready to go you play him. If Treloar is ready I would play him but the hard ground in WA and the travel might be an issue for he and Moore. Interesting times.

I do think Travis looking unlikely.

Their F50 functioning was largely due to our poor offensive transition and F50 entry. We just kept giving them the ball and couldn't stop their transition. No defence copes with that.

I think the F50 entry would have been influenced to a large degree by the absence of Cox, he's been a crucial part of our forward structure all year and not having him as a target option when delivering into the forward 50 had a significant impact on our ability to score. F50 turnovers are a big source of scoring for opposition scoring opportunities and McGovern had 14 intercepts.

Not having a go at our defence, I'm just saying West Coast will find it a lot harder to score from turnovers with Cox in the forward line and harder to move the ball forward without NicNat and Gaff.

Instinctively I feel Treloar misses and will be ready as a forward type about Prelim week; I’d be happy with that outcome.

Gone Critical has noted that flying would not be an issue for Adam as he’s well over the healing part of swollen / bleeding that sort of thing in his hamstrings. So that would be no issue and Gone C is a medical expert so I’m comfortable that part is fine.

But Moore yes I’d play if he’s right, he just brings that extra tall athletic talent that we miss.

What is a better strategy?

(1) Go all out in the first week and risk players playing the next week?

(2) Or play the long game, concede that WCE are going to be hard to beat and hold back players for next week?

Genuinely don't know. But think both are valid strategies, albeit (2) is not an attractive one to supporters.

Howe for Oxley...no brainer.
Treloar if fit, for Varcoe??
Moore if fit for Madgen.

None of them to play VFL this weekend...straight to AFL for Q final.

Hopefully Varcoe's sister makes a quick recovery, but think we need him badly. His tackling pressure is key.

Feels like the deck is stacked against us. That's why I posed the question above. Do we take the loss and come back with a full team the week after at home against Sydney or GWS?

Win that, and we play either Richmond or Hawthorn. Get through that and anything is possible.

(2) Or play the long game, concede that WCE are going to be hard to beat and hold back players for next week?

Genuinely don't know. But think both are valid strategies, albeit (2) is not an attractive one to supporters.

I'm very much of the opinion you go all out week 1. Reassess once we get to our second match. If we were playing Richmond, I may have a different opinion.

The Eagles at Optus are beatable if a few things go our way (incl. some luck on availability and no in-game injuries)

Go all out nothing is Guaranteed for week 2 injuries reports anything can happen, put the best 22 on the park and beat them cockie Eagles over there.

All in. Nothing short of GF intensity from here on in will do. Just have to win 3 more big ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go hard and go for glory! Nothing is guaranteed for West Coast! So I guess I pick option 1.

We've generally played pretty well against the Eagles in finals from memory... vaguely recall Daicos' magic in the '90 prelim. Almost beating them as massive underdogs in either '92 or '94 when Mick McGuane dropped a mark that would have won the game late. The drawn overtime game in 2007, away, when they were coming off a premiership the year before. Got them comfortably in the 2011 qualifying final. Got them comfortably in the 2012 semi final in Bucks' only finals win.

I'm cautiously optimistic. It's a free swing - we're not meant to get near them. Hostile away crowd. No expectation whatsoever. Lovely.

Did you guys know that the loser of our game, should they win the semi, would have a 6 day break into a friday night prelim (likely against the tiges)?

That's so bloody unfair. Strange that the media hasn't picked up on it though...

I made this a couple of days ago based on a guess of the teams. No doubt I've guessed wrong for you guys, but thought you might be interested anyway.

For us, I think our full-back could just as easily be Barrass, meaning Schofield would miss. That's basically the only decision for the match committee IMO.

cff.JPG

Did you guys know that the loser of our game, should they win the semi, would have a 6 day break into a friday night prelim (likely against the tiges)?

That's so bloody unfair. Strange that the media hasn't picked up on it though...

I made this a couple of days ago based on a guess of the teams. No doubt I've guessed wrong for you guys, but thought you might be interested anyway.

For us, I think our full-back could just as easily be Barrass, meaning Schofield would miss. That's basically the only decision for the match committee IMO.

View attachment 551187

Not happy with your team playing 6 days after you lose re?

View attachment 551187

Out of curiosity.. I know it's a bit of a caldron over there in the west re.. but 80% of the time.. what on earth are your supporters booing/yelling at.. I don't quite get it..

Not happy with your team playing 6 days after you lose re?

Seems strange that the two teams out of the semis have 8 and 6 day breaks, when it could have easily been two 7 day breaks. I just think it's poor planning.

Out of curiosity.. I know it's a bit of a caldron over there in the west re.. but 80% of the time.. what on earth are your supporters booing/yelling at.. I don't quite get it..

We boo decisions we don't like. It's definitely a bit silly. But the stats show that the umpires are impacted by it (probably more subconsciously than consciously) and so it gives us an advantage.

I think most of the advantage is where there is a huge uproar with a decision, the umpire may avoid paying 50/50s against us immediately afterwards.

Seems strange that the two teams out of the semis have 8 and 6 day breaks, when it could have easily been two 7 day breaks. I just think it's poor planning.

We boo decisions we don't like. It's definitely a bit silly. But the stats show that the umpires are impacted by it (probably more subconsciously than consciously) and so it gives us an advantage.

I think most of the advantage is where there is a huge uproar with a decision, the umpire may avoid paying 50/50s against us immediately afterwards.

I mean it's not like Pies supporters don't do EXACTLY the same thing at the 'G :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes for week one of Finals (Out: Madgen, Murphy, Ox : In: Treloar, Howe, Goldsack)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back