Changes: Gold Coast vs Fold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Venables was a replacement for an injured midfielder in Redden and had eight disposals. He needs to spend 6-8 weeks in the WAFL to build up his fitness again before being considered. Utterly ridiculous decision not to give Matt Allen a game. At least Allen looks like he can run out four quarters.

Last edited:
How are we one mid too many when the change was Redden out, Venables in.

The personnel is right in line with last year’s optimal numbers in each line.

I'm including Redden coming back when I say our midfield balance is still incorrect.

Who is the obvious choice out of Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Gaff, Redden and Marsden to make way do you think?

I think the balance was fine tonight, just the personnel which was incorrect.

Absolutely stoked we finally played 1 ruck and saw a monster game from Hickey.

I'm including Redden coming back when I say our midfield balance is still incorrect.

Who is the obvious choice out of Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Gaff, Redden and Marsden to make way do you think?

I think the balance was fine tonight, just the personnel which was incorrect.

Absolutely stoked we finally played 1 ruck and saw a monster game from Hickey.

Hm, possibly. I’m concerned Redden might be out a while - lower leg soreness isn’t filling me with confidence given our recent history.

Masten won't be dropped and shouldn't - was good tonight apart from a period early where he was part of the midfield that were witches hats and didnt tackle.

I would drop Darling - really needs a shake up. I would also drop Venables, I really don't like him as a player and don't see what he offers, and he wasn't even in good WAFL form before getting picked. Would also drop Tom Cole.

For those blokes I'd play Waterman, Matt Allen and Rotham.

Brander deserves another chance after being thrown to the wolves and I haven't considered Redden.

I also agree Gaff was awful and is a liability inside the contest because he gets outbodied too easily and then in transition is very poor. I think he'd be better just playing wing and sticking to what he's good at, would also tidy up his disposal.

Out: Venables, O. Allen, Masten

In: Ah Chee/Waterman, M. Allen, Redden

Darling and Cripps are well below par this year. Won’t be dropped though.

Cole in danger of being replaced by Rotham.

Brander? to take some ruck knocks if O. Allen out

Sheed to whichever role he was in while Gaff was out.

Gaff to stay outside of the stoppages so he doesn’t just blindly hack it forward under pressure.

Ryan to play on instinct and fly for more marks

My only hesitation is that this is a must-win game, and despite our shitty form is still a should-win game, so I don't want our system thrown into chaos by wholesale changes. Even though plenty of seniors deserve to be dropped, thankfully there aren't that many Beagles demanding promotion.
I agree with giving Brander another crack, and finding a spot for Mallen, and the previously-unthinkable swap of Waterman for Darling would be completely warranted as well.
Just please don't rush Redden back in if he isn't 100.000% ok. Bad form can be turned around a lot more quickly than bad health.

The players have got full belly's, it's time to shake it up... the coach is being to nice to the premiership players, if your not performing you should be out regardless.

Out: Cole O Allen Masten Hutchings Schofield Venables Darling Jetta
In: Rotham Waterman M Allen Redden AhChee Nelson Brayshaw Brooksby

Nelson McGovern Rotham
Sheppard Brander Hurn
Gaff Redden Sheed
Cripps Waterman M Allen
Ryan Kennedy Petruccelle

Ruck: Hickey Yeo Shuey
Int: AhChee Brayshaw Duggan Brooksby

Marsden should still be out of the team.

Just because he wasn't in our worst 4 players on the ground this week doesn't change the fact our team structure is still currently up the shit.

We're one midfielder too many and he's clearly the worst mid we have playing.

No inside 50's this week, which is normally one of his few selling points.
I hate to tell ya this buddy, but the entire game was played in our d50 and the stats aren't pretty for i50s for the whole team.

Shuey, Gaff, Yeo and Sheed need ****ing rockets. Obviously no one is calling them out because we have no one better bellow who's going to improve on their resumes. But that's where the game is being won and lost lately. We are getting belted in stoppages every week and these blokes are selling out the rest of the team. Well down on what we know they can do.

Runs on the board etc. But it's not "one midfielder too many". It's shitty inside work. It's those who are in the team to win the ball and can't do it well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure “always been too soft” flies given we won a flag 6 games ago.

Darlings form is diabolical and has been basically all season. It would take balls to drop him but its close to warranted IMO
Think we’re missing the assertiveness in the coaches box. Simmo is the man manager and does a very good job but we’re missing the campaigner tactican that Mitchell and Pyke brought in our most successful seasons. Someone who is the perfect contrast to Simmo and works well coming from a different angle. Of all years we probably need someone like that this year the most as we’re not fuelled by underdog status

He cant lay a tackle. Just watches them run by. For that alone he should be dropped

This could apply to the entire 22 this week.

We've never been a high tackling team but the last 3 weeks have been comical the way we've been run past or had tackles broken.

Either a complete lack of effort or more worryingly a misjudging of focus over pre season.

Allen must come in simply to add some presence around the ball. Big body with high tackle numbers is what we need right now. We're being embarrassed at the moment, getting bullied at the contest. And ffs get Gaff out of the middle.

Out: Darling (omitted), Masten (omitted), Schofield (omitted)
In: Waterman, M Allen, Redden

B: Sheppard, Brander, Hurn
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Cole
C: Gaff, Redden, Sheed
HF: Petrol, OAllen, Waterman
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Cripps
R: Hickey, Shuey, Yeo
I: Venables, MAllen, Hutchings, Jetta
E: Rotham, Masten

If they drop Brander after another tough away game i'll lose my shit.

On Brander, what is going on with him? He was drafted as Kennedy replacement and had all the tools to be a massive unit for us. However, it's obvious that we've modified his pre season program to turn him into some sort of hybrid midfielder? Get him on the protein shakes and get him lifting 45 a day, every day ffs.

These look great on paper. But our mids and small forwards were smashed.

Ryan need to come out on effort alone as well as Criapps. Darling has to play WAFL to get his head right. M allen looks to be the only mid with something to offer. On impact Venables and Gaff are suspect. The others are poor but relatively not that bad.

Who has mongrel on out list. Willie is the only one that comes to mind.

And a shame to see two WA boys were available to both WA teams Menagola and Kelly so hard , bit of Mongrel

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes: Gold Coast vs Fold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back