Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 23 vs. Brisbane, Marvel, Fri 18/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a fan of Ryan making his debut in a match featuring probably the best small forwards in the competition. Surely Maynard, Crisp & Quaynor are enough? I don’t think the kid is ready yet to be honest. Has the talent it seems. But I think 2024 will be his time.
+ Markov and yeah it is enough hence there being some play. Ruscoe and Ryan is all we have down below as defensive cover and like Carmichael I’d rather not be turning to Ruscoe because his time is most likely up.

It probably seems counterintuitive, but I would prefer to be picking Ryan when we have alternatives within the 23 than in a situation where our hand is forced. If things go well you push Crisp up the field to provide speed around the ball and if they go poorly you sub him out. Alternatively you start him as the sub.

You laughed at me last week for suggesting an Allen debut… but now propose a Ryan debut 🤦‍♂️

If the further defender is needed against lions… and I think it is if they want to keep Howe forward…

then taller and more experienced Ruscoe gets the call up ahead of Ryan
I laugh at most of your posts 🤷‍♂️

A more thorough answer is above. We have options through the middle ahead of Allan, but we’re thin down back. A scenario where Noble is out for 4-6 and we lose another then what next?

I've been pretty harsh on Lippa recently but he had a great game on Friday - not sure about the calls for him to be dropped.

I also think Howe should stay forward to keep Harris Andrews accountable much like he did with Stewart.
Not sure how we cover Moore then, but I think our forward mix looks too potent atm to go messing with it and I think giving the group continuity will help come finals.

I like Frampton in and hopefully the next two games gives him more confidence.

Thought he did well when Moore went off. A keeper if Howe is playing forward.

Gunston out is good for us.
Yes, I thought Big Billy did a good job that was easy to overlook - not spectacular, but solid.

I laugh at most of your posts 🤷‍♂️

A more thorough answer is above. We have options through the middle ahead of Allan, but we’re thin down back. A scenario where Noble is out for 4-6 and we lose another then what next?

And in such a scenario…Ruscoe gets the call up over Ryan

Try to be less smug

You get plenty wrong along the way too

Last time we played them, both Cameron and Cox were out and we used McStay in the ruck. I remember Oscar dominating in the ruck and just smashing the ball forward on many occasions.
With Moore out, l would bring Cox in and see how we go with 2 rucks against him.
Not sure who makes way for Sidey.

Last time we played them, both Cameron and Cox were out and we used McStay in the ruck. I remember Oscar dominating in the ruck and just smashing the ball forward on many occasions.
With Moore out, l would bring Cox in and see how we go with 2 rucks against him.
Not sure who makes way for Sidey.
Until Moore is back. I'd play them both, through the sub bench with a plan to play one of them for big minutes for two and a half quarters and the other for the majority of the last quarter and a half. Meaning limited ruck time for McStay, but also not using either ruck in another position. Obviously goes to shit if we get an injury.

When Moore is back, it's a decision including Frampton as well.

It was a nightmare match up for him, but Cameron tore him to shreds.
No, he didn't. Stats can lie. Cameron played well but most of his goals came from snaps and two atrocious non calls by boundary umpires. He took a couple of marks on a hard sprinting lead and dived to take them on his chest- passes nobody could stop a forward from marking. That is on the mids and forwards for not applying enough defensive pressure. The times when Frampton had a genuine one on one contest I saw Cameron outmark him just once. He also got gimme hand pass in the goal square.

After watching the Lions last night we must play two legitimate ruckmen. I will gnash my teeth and fear we have lost the plot if we decide to go into this game with McStay as the back up option. It means Daniher will simply grab the pill and thump it forward deep inside their fifty-something he does well against legitimate ruckmen let alone a 193cm forward. It also means we have less marking targets in our forward line for the five or ten minutes this madness is allowed to continue.

No, he didn't. Stats can lie. Cameron played well but most of his goals came from snaps and two atrocious non calls by boundary umpires. He took a couple of marks on a hard sprinting lead and dived to take them on his chest- passes nobody could stop a forward from marking. That is on the mids and forwards for not applying enough defensive pressure. The times when Frampton had a genuine one on one contest I saw Cameron outmark him just once. He also got gimme hand pass in the goal square.
Agreed - if you take out the 2 "goals" and the gimme that's 4 goals.
It's still a good return, but Cameron is one of the best in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frampton will be just fine and should have been playing all year

I don't know why I'm replying as you seem to have a very strong bias for the big guys, but you're right that Frampton can deal with him in one on ones - it'd be a good match up if Cameron had to stand still and wrestle in one on ones, but he doesn't. That last quarter was scary - Frampton just couldn't keep himself near him. I hope I never see that match up again.

I don't know why I'm replying as you seem to have a very strong bias for the big guys, but you're right that Frampton can deal with him in one on ones - it'd be a good match up if Cameron had to stand still and wrestle in one on ones, but he doesn't. That last quarter was scary - Frampton just couldn't keep himself near him.
But he has done the same to Howe more than once and most defenders in the comp. Like Curnow, if you don't pressure the opposition mids those blokes will destroy anyone.

I don't know why I'm replying as you seem to have a very strong bias for the big guys, but you're right that Frampton can deal with him in one on ones - it'd be a good match up if Cameron had to stand still and wrestle in one on ones, but he doesn't. That last quarter was scary - Frampton just couldn't keep himself near him.
We leak goals to Key Forwards for fun, we have all year and to be honest, I don't think it concerns the match committee much. We seem to be more focused on getting run from defensive structures. No one would stop Cameron on a lead anyway

I don't know why I'm replying as you seem to have a very strong bias for the big guys, but you're right that Frampton can deal with him in one on ones - it'd be a good match up if Cameron had to stand still and wrestle in one on ones, but he doesn't. That last quarter was scary - Frampton just couldn't keep himself near him. I hope I never see that match up again.
The matchup for Cameron is Moore, because Darcy has comparable mobility, but we had to make do with who we had.

But he has done the same to Howe more than once and most defenders in the comp. Like Curnow, if you don't pressure the opposition mids those blokes will destroy anyone.
The point is that Jezza doesn't beat blokes through wrestling. He does it through speed agility smarts and skill. I don't think Frampton played badly, but he just can't get close to going with Jezza. It was an awful match up for us

I've been pretty harsh on Lippa recently but he had a great game on Friday - not sure about the calls for him to be dropped.

I also think Howe should stay forward to keep Harris Andrews accountable much like he did with Stewart.
Not sure how we cover Moore then, but I think our forward mix looks too potent atm to go messing with it and I think giving the group continuity will help come finals.
Frampton stays in and stays back for me.

Most of our defence has struggled on Charlie Cameron

Maybe Oleg is our man

Has the pace to go with Charlie and taller opponents have quelled Charlie on occasions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back