Preview Changes R17 v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

MaxiBont

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d keep it simple after a win. I’d like to see Garcia come in for Gallagher. Think Gallagher needs a spell in the 2s, good potential but hasn’t been impacting games. Baker out for Harmes sees pretty obvious to me. Harmes played well pre injury.

Still want to see Buss debut, but that seems unlikely with Lobb playing so well. I’d give Coffield a couple of weeks in the VFL to build his fitness up.

In: Garcia, Harmes
Out: Gallagher, Baker

Depends on Duryea. But would love Coffield back in.

Will make us a stronger unit back there.

I think Harmes will get back in as well but from reports both seemed rusty coming off injury and may need another run in the VFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Never seen a season like it. If the hawks win today 3 to 13 separated by 6 points. Just about every game a 8 point game.

In Harmes
Out Dureya

Last edited:

Don't really know what to say after that game.

Lobb looked good in the air but was it a real test? Next week we likely play outdoors in a much higher intensity game and the ball is more likely to be on the ground.

Darcy was a constant presence but didn't have a huge influence.

JUH kicked the two goals but was putrid in all other aspects of the game.

English just looks tired, even after the bye.

I also keep waiting for one of Freijah, Gallagher or Sanders to get off the leash, but it never seems to eventuate.

Port have a tall forward line with Marshall, Lord, Georgiades, and Finlayson. I'm expecting Lobb to stay in and play down back again, with Williams to play the fourth tall defender (Georgiades, Finlayson).

Outs: Jamarra, Baker
Ins: Daniel, Khamis

I know Buku hasn't been setting the world on fire but he was emergency and can go forward or back depending on need.

Also do I think JUH will be dropped for real? - no.

B: Williams Jones Lobb
HB : Dale O'Donnell Bramble
C: Gallagher Libba Sanders
HF: Macrae Naughton Vandermeer
F: West Bontempelli Weightman
FOL: English Treloar Richards
INT: Khamis, Freijah, Darcy, Duyrea
Sub: Daniel

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think they are going to drop Gallagher, whether we agree with it or not. They are doing with him what they did with Richards previously. Play him, even if it is out of position, to get games into him and overlook errors, poor judgement and variable performance coming from inexperience. 1 AFL game's experience being 2 to 3 times that of 1 VFL game.

People were screaming on here for Richards to be not only dropped but traded out in his first 50 games. He was in a similar situation to Gallagher. The club, quite rightly, came to the conclusion that Richards was going to be a player and persisted. Perhaps they've done the same with Gallagher?

Getting a steady stream of young players into the team is how you avoid having to full on rebuild.

I don't think they are going to drop Gallagher, whether we agree with it or not. They are doing with him what they did with Richards previously. Play him, even if it is out of position, to get games into him and overlook errors, poor judgement and variable performance coming from inexperience. 1 AFL game's experience being 2 to 3 times that of 1 VFL game.

People were screaming on here for Richards to be not only dropped but traded out in his first 50 games. He was in a similar situation to Gallagher. The club, quite rightly, came to the conclusion that Richards was going to be a player and persisted. Perhaps they've done the same with Gallagher?

Getting a steady stream of young players into the team is how you avoid having to full on rebuild.
Agree he's worth persevering with.

BF would have dropped Gallagher every week for the last 10 rounds. For some reason MC sees it differently and he keeps his spot.

One day the calls here might be right but it's unlikely to be this week. None of the likely replacements for Gallagher - Harmes, Garcia, Scott - played a game yesterday that demanded selection. All were solid but not dominant. Harmes might come in for someone on the reasoning that he was rusty yesterday and can only improve.

Richards was a top 20 draft pick though, Gallagher is a pick 39. Bit of a difference.

I do agree that if we were going to drop Gallagher, we would have done so already, and irrespective of his output, there's a role and development for him and we're picking him.

Hopefully Port win today so we don’t get a fiery Port next week after a bad week in the media.

OUT Gags
IN Garcia

Really want to see Garcia back in the team

There was a play yesterday down the wing that went from Freitas to Sanders to Gallagher….i think that was the order…but it warmed the cockles of my heart….we have integrated youth into the side and are doing ok…

Two injuries noted in today’s paper.
Duryea (foot)
Vandermeer (ankle)

I don’t know if they are serious enough to need a week off but it could open up some opportunities.

Harmes, Daniel or Scott the most likely beneficiaries but Garcia and maybe McNeil also a chance.

I’d still like to see Busslinger get a shot but I can’t see any vacancy right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a pretty poor showing yesterday and so Bevo may send a message but other than Bont, Lobb, Jones and maybe Williams a lot of players had average game - almost they all caught a case of crapitis

In VFL the conditions were terrible - Buss and Daniel (more seven half) were best of ground. Poor conditions give us a much better look at natural skills - in the wet Bont and Libba look so far better than others. Buss was very very impressive. Daniel played inside mid and was good in the conditions but not really knocking the door down.

Other contenders García, Harmes, Coffield and Scott were just OK and not enough to get the call up. Though they were coming back from injury. Coffield should come back in a couple - he is very good when fit but will be hard to drop Friejah when he looks so solid and is just getting better. Even though a fit Coffield is probably better atm.

Harmes was a revelation up forward before he went out. He should come in for Gags.

Gags was quiet and I reckon has plateaued a bit - he will be good but needs to develop his tackling and kicking.

Garcia was unlucky to be dropped but didn’t impose himself in the VFL sans Unfortunately for him - unless he is injured again VDM had one of his best games and was working really hard when other looked asleep.

Would really like to see Buss get a game and with Port going tall this could be a game for it but Lobb was excellent in the areas we want to see JOD doing (intercept marking). JOD is developed really well and I get that the more AFL he gets the better he will get - unless his confidence is dropping and /or skills are dropping off.

Our future defence is looking good:

Coffield/Khamis Buss Bramble

Dale /Cleary JOD Friejah

With Croft to come through and Gardner is a catastrophic set of injuries happen. Likely with Keath and Jones exiting we will get a starting 22 KPD from another club also.

I think we could see Lobb staying in this week and Buss getting a game for JOD - who has been very good )and does not deserve to be dropped) but has stopped taking marks and needs to get his timing back. Not sure how this happens - Khamis went off as well for a few weeks and is just getting it back now.

We were so much more efficient forward when we had just two tall forwards - even three was a mess. JUH was poor ahead average body language - he still works but doesn’t have the confidence need to hold them and is it just me or does he seem to not get along with West? West has a psychic like connection with Darcy but can’t seem to find Marra.

The three have to play zones and not fall back into each other over and over. So easy for the defence to just push one of ours into the other - would have happened at least half a dozen time yesterday.

Naughton stays 40+ out and moves across the 50 and up the ground, Jamarra starts in the square and leads out and Darcy stays within 39 of the goal and is the target for the top of goal square kick. Three genuine targets and forces 1:1s we will win more than lose.

Run in min teams with VDM and Naughton, West and Darcy, Weightman with JUH

Out Gags - in Harmes

Out JOD - in Buss

At the saints v port game today, we can easily beat these blokes if we play our best. Need the team that played freo to show up though not what we saw yesterday.

At the saints v port game today, we can easily beat these blokes if we play our best. Need the team that played freo to show up though not what we saw yesterday.
Lol ... such negativity from dogs supporters.

Dogs don't even need to play their best to beat Port. Port has 4 decent players (Rozee, Butters, JHF and Allir Allir) and the rest are absolute trash right now.

Imagine the lols if Sweet plays well today (has started ok) to keeps his spot, then absolutely destroys English next week.
Just the sort of opponent that English struggles against although he should run Sweet ragged around the ground. At least he should know what he’s capable off

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes R17 v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back