Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Just a placeholder thread until the official one is opened.

As I mentioned in today's gameday thread, there were a number of guys who certainly put their hands up to not be selected for next week's game against the Dogs.

At this early stage, I think the following changes will occur:

In - Zorko, Hipwood, Berry, McCluggage, McStay (if fit)

Out - Jansen, Allison, Barrett, Close, Mathieson (all omitted)

Other Possible Ins - Cutler, Harwood, Bewick

On shaky ground - Keays, Gardiner (omitted)

Whilst Robertson and Lester were pretty average, IMO, they have enough credits in the bank to retain their spots in Coach Fagan's side next week.

IMO Close definitely did enough to earn another crack.

The 5 ins are obvious but who goes out will be interesting, the dogs were impressive today and ran back and forth at intensity all afternoon, back to their best, they have started their run to the finals, going to be an intense test for us. Anybody showing signs of tiredness or fatigue during the build up to the Dogs on Saturday arvo should probably have a rest.

The 5 ins are obvious but who goes out will be interesting, the dogs were impressive today and ran back and forth at intensity all afternoon, back to their best, they have started their run to the finals, going to be an intense test for us. Anybody showing signs of tiredness or fatigue during the build up to the Dogs on Saturday arvo should probably have a rest.

Guys like Mathieson, Barrett, Jansen and even Cox to a degree just do not have tanks for that end to end type of game that the Dogs play, which is the reason why I would dropping all of those mentioned with the exception of Cox, who I think you just play for the last 4 games.

Out: Jansen, Skinner, Matho, Barrett, Allison or Cox
In: Zorko, Hipwood, Clugg, Harwood and Berry

Also Close out for McStay if fit

F: Harwood Schache Hipwood
HF: Taylor Close/Walker Bastinac
C: Lester Beams Rockliff
HB: Witherden Walker/McStay Rich
B: Gardiner Andrews Mayes
Followers: Martin Zorko Berry
Bench: NRobbo, Keays, McCluggage and Cox or Allison

Hopefully McStay is fit. Don't think we can afford both Allison and Cox. Weaknesses are too great. Tough on Skinner but we can't go too tall. Harwood gets a crack to fight Barrett for a spot on the list next year.

In: Zorko, McStay, Hipwood, Berry, McCluggage

Out: Jansen, Close, Skinner, Barrett, Mathieson

The five out all should come back in regardless. Being rested should not be held against the young ones and Zorko and McStay are good enough to come right back.

Jansen and Close are the major obvious. Just don't seem to be showing the same potential as the other 22-23 year olds in our group. Skinner or Charlie were going to come out for Dan; Charlie is much more versatile which is why he stays in for the small forward line of the Dogs. Wouldn't surprise me if he is omitted the next week though.

Barrett and Mathieson were hard ones. It was Jake or Keays and in the end Keays' disposal was better and he can use both feet. Mathieson hasn't been exemplary and has had a good run in the seniors, Allison playing well on the wing meant that he should be the one to go.

Give Zorko his midfield role back, with Keays, The Suitcase and Berry taking Matho's back up minutes. Let Allison run the wing again like he did so well in today's game.

Schache has shown no reason to get dropped. People say he gets knocked over but he's not getting better at contested marking in the NEAFL. He led very well like last week but actually got the ball kicked to him. Should have had two goals but I'm not complaining. The effort is still their but like Robbo, needs the consistent games now that he's confident to play better. Have the break between seasons will help as well.

Massive selection headaches this week for Fages. Skinner and Allison both did well and would be pretty stiff to get dropped.
Mcstay, Hipwood, Zorko, Berry and Mccluggage are all automatic ins you'd think. Cutler, Harwood, Beams and Bewick are all pushing for selection as well. Will be very interesting to see who gets the chop

As I mentioned in today's gameday thread, there were a number of guys who certainly put their hands up to not be selected for next week's game against the Dogs.

Whilst Robertson and Lester were pretty average, IMO, they have enough credits in the bank to retain their spots in Coach Fagan's side next week.
I'm an unabashed Harwood fan and for mine, I would rather Harwood play that small forward defensive role over Barrett any day of the week.
Good food for thought Dylan.Very much doubt Skinner will be dropped,especially as he can play both ends.The 3 young guns and Zorko,come back. So Robertson, Close, Allisonand Barrett are the shakiest.Gardiner had an excellent game previous to this.They may wish to retain Allison also,as players are generally given 2 or 3 games to start.The tricky one however is Cutler who ticked all the boxes in the Ressies, and would normally be in.Competition, is certainly making selection completely different. Watched the Doggies live today...love their attitude,and I think that was their best game this season, unfortunately for us !

Good food for thought Dylan.Very much doubt Skinner will be dropped,especially as he can play both ends.The 3 young guns and Zorko,come back. So Robertson, Close, Allisonand Barrett are the shakiest.Gardiner had an excellent game previous to this.They may wish to retain Allison also,as players are generally given 2 or 3 games to start.The tricky one however is Cutler who ticked all the boxes in the Ressies, and would normally be in.Competition, is certainly making selection completely different. Watched the Doggies live today...love their attitude,and I think that was their best game this season, unfortunately for us !
Didn't mention McStay, as his injury seemed 2 or 3 weeks worth,but Walker or Gardiner may be under the pump.....could be 5 or 6 changes.

If anything, Keays should be getting Matheison's mid time.

Don't think we'll make 7 changes but I'd go for

Out: Mathieson, Skinner, Jansen, Close, Allison, Barrett, Gardiner

In: Berry, McStay, Hipwood, McCluggage, Zorko, Harwood, Cutler

Skinner and Close are stiff but have to go out purely for structural purposes otherwise we'll be too big
Barrett, Jansen, Gardiner and Mathieson weren't great
Allison is also unlucky but we've got to put our best side out for this game and Cutler will play that wing position better. Hopefully he got Fagan's message loud and clear about work rate and has served enough time in the ressies, but we really are a better side when he's playing well.

5 of those 7 changes are self explanatory, Harwood is definitely an upgrade on Barrett as a small forward or he could even go back as a lock down defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions set for at least five changes next week
THE BRISBANE Lions will make at least five changes for next week's clash against the Western Bulldogs at the Gabba, coach Chris Fagan has confirmed.

But Fagan has indicated debutants Sam Skinner and Jacob Allison are likely to hold their place in the team after both impressed in the Lions' 68-point drubbing at the hands of West Coast at Domain Stadium on Sunday.

The Lions will welcome back star midfielder Dayne Zorko from a one-week suspension after he was banned for striking Carlton midfielder Sam Petrevski-Seton in round 18.

Exciting key forward Eric Hipwood is also in line for a recall, alongside promising first-year pair Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry, while key defender Dan McStay has recovered from a minor shoulder injury.

Fagan said the Lions had carefully planned to rest Hipwood, McCluggage and Berry for Sunday’s fixture, with concerns the long flight to Perth might impact the trio’s ability to perform well in the remaining rounds of 2017. "We looked at Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry and Eric Hipwood and thought, a fair while back, that at some point in time before the end of the year they’re going to need a rest so that they can finish off the season strongly," Fagan said.

"We've got those three fresh next week plus Dan McStay will be available and Dayne Zorko to come back into our team, and (we) learned a little bit more about some other guys today which is a real positive."

Guys, I come in peace.

As you may have noticed, we are attempting a late miracle run into the finals and a chance at back to back flags (like the true Bradburys we are). We noticed that you guys have quite a few losses already despite showing a lot of promise for the future with highly talented youngsters.

If it's all the same, we would like to come and collect our 4 points without too much fuss. Yes, we know that we haven't won at the Gabba since 2009 but please just lay down for us this once. What's 1 more loss this season? Just let us win and secure yourself another #1 draft pick and we promise to do the same next time we're bottomed out and you guys are pushing for finals.

Gardner's first half was woeful. There were a number of moments where I thought Barrett just isn't an AFL standard player.

Tough game all round.

Skinner showed something and I thought Close linked up ok at times.

Guys, I come in peace.

As you may have noticed, we are attempting a late miracle run into the finals and a chance at back to back flags (like the true Bradburys we are). We noticed that you guys have quite a few losses already despite showing a lot of promise for the future with highly talented youngsters.

If it's all the same, we would like to come and collect our 4 points without too much fuss. Yes, we know that we haven't won at the Gabba since 2009 but please just lay down for us this once. What's 1 more loss this season? Just let us win and secure yourself another #1 draft pick and we promise to do the same next time we're bottomed out and you guys are pushing for finals.

Haven't you hit your flag quota for the next 60 years?

Guys, I come in peace.

Darcy is the most overrated player on the list. Handballs to a player in trouble more than not, poor decision making and skill execution on the whole.

Darcy is the most overrated player on the list. Handballs to a player in trouble more than not, poor decision making and skill execution on the whole.
Yes he was disappointing and I can understand he had a big role on Darling but the main issues were just general play

Yes he was disappointing and I can understand he had a big role on Darling but the main issues were just general play
So easy to forget that he's a 21 year old with only 58 games under his belt. Admittedly he had a bad game yesterday but I definitely do not think he is over rated at all. Has played some good games this year & shown some significant improvement in his game. He will be a long term & important member of the team in future, successful years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back