Prediction Changes: Round 21 Vs Brisbane Lions + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

From one of his teammates who runs out with him:

"ETHAN HUGHES (100th milestone game)
He epitomises the trademark of Fremantle. He is no fuss and the way he takes the contest and bodylines the ball is so great. We saw some highlights of him yesterday and some of the highlights were literally him just going harder and stronger than anyone else. He epitomises what Fremantle is, and he lives and breathes the trademark which we all aspire to."

Chapman is zero chance to play AFL at this point. You don't miss the amount of footy he has and just come back to AFL after a managed minutes effort in the WAFL. I'm hoping when he does return its in a wing/midfield or even mid/forward role.

I don't bring Johnson back either. His form was tapering away and he needs to "rest" at the lower level a bit.

I would actually leave the team unchanged. I'd be tempted to start Stanley and give Ras the sub. He's one that probably hasn't got 4 quarters in him at this point of his career and while he was heavily involved early he made some shocking errors. I'm coming around to believing he's going to be a serious inside mid but I'd love to see Stanley get a look from earlier and let Ras come on as a burst player later as I think he'd excel at it.

Everyone played their role today. Everyone. You have to reward that.

The question I don't have an answer for is what to do if Cox is ready. Obviously he's best 22 but its been so good watching Hamling show he still has it. He's such a reliable and clever defender and the balance with him their is allowing Pearce and Ryan to be more proactive with intercepting as well as Young to go up the ground into the middle, which I really hope we persist with. Both Young and Chapman need to be part of the midfield group.

Wagner has the fearless dash that replaces Walker's role and he's been terrific especially kicking inside 50.

I suppose if anyone has to come out for Cox and keep the balance it probably is Hughes but I don't like the disrespect shown to him earlier in this thread. He's a limited footballer but I have nothing but respect for how hard he goes.
To be fair, Corbett seems like the type of guy who could find something good to say about anyone.

Because Chapman is a far better player.
If hes healthy, he comes in & Wagners the logical out.

Wagners had a decent couple weeks, but that’s about the top of his ceiling. Nothing against him, just a limited player imo

It’s probably more likely that Chapman plays WAFL
Wagner has stepped up. They seem to really go/rebound through him quite a bit. Would be very rough to drop a guy who had 23 possessions, left his man to spoil or intercept and was a crucial part of our defence.

Watching Chapman last week he looked gassed, fumbly, dropped marks and miles off it. Was on managed mins also.

He dropped a sitter of a mark in the sec Qtr fumbled the ball got tackled and then done for HTB. He subsequently dropped his head (looked very frustrated) and then ran off the ground for a spell. Looked like someone who is about 2-3 further games from finding his touch and form. What we did to NOD earlier in the year was terrible. Bringing him back too early after returning from injury.

I reckon Chapman will replace Hughes at some point but not yet. Hughes also played well.

If Cox is right you would expect him to come in for Hamling. Prob give Cox another week.

Otherwise MJ in for Stanley and a full game for Stanley at Peel.

I’d like Stanley to get a full game at AFL next week. Ras sub, MJ at Peel to get a full run at it and remember what it’s like to have ball in hand and how he’s better than that level. Injury aside, rotate the three of them the rest of the year

Chapman maybe more talented, may have a higher ceiling, but to bring back Chapman in from a long term injury underdone, and potentially risk re injury when not much left on the line for this season is a silly move

Which is why I said “if healthy”
At no point did I say rush in. There’s also a reason why Wagners on his 3rd club and already been dropped for being a liability this year. He’s a depth guy, a lot of people getting carried away about him on a couple ok games.

Wagner has stepped up. They seem to really go/rebound through him quite a bit. Would be very rough to drop a guy who had 23 possessions, left his man to spoil or intercept and was a crucial part of our defence.

Watching Chapman last week he looked gassed, fumbly, dropped marks and miles off it. Was on managed mins also.

He dropped a sitter of a mark in the sec Qtr fumbled the ball got tackled and then done for HTB. He subsequently dropped his head (looked very frustrated) and then ran off the ground for a spell. Looked like someone who is about 2-3 further games from finding his touch and form. What we did to NOD earlier in the year was terrible. Bringing him back too early after returning from injury.

I reckon Chapman will replace Hughes at some point but not yet. Hughes also played well.

If Cox is right you would expect him to come in for Hamling. Prob give Cox another week.

Again, I said if Chapmans healthy, not rush in. And also said it’s likely Chapman plays WAFL

Which is why I said “if healthy”
At no point did I say rush in. There’s also a reason why Wagners on his 3rd club and already been dropped for being a liability this year. He’s a depth guy, a lot of people getting carried away about him on a couple ok games.

Again, I said if Chapmans healthy, not rush in. And also said it’s likely Chapman plays WAFL
Ok..no worries..maybe read it differently that although Wagner is starting play well he should be automatically dropped for Chapman ..sure bringing Chapman back in is the end game but not half baked. Also I think Wagner is more in competition with walker

Ok..no worries..maybe read it differently that although Wagner is starting play well he should be automatically dropped for Chapman ..sure bringing Chapman back in is the end game but not half baked. Also I think Wagner is more in competition with walker

See, I prefer Wagner over Walker.
Other than pace, Walker doesn’t offer much. He’s statistically our worst defender losing about 40% of 1v1s

1v1s is such a surface level statistic and means very little. Walker at his best is very good at locking down smalls.

It’s not surface level. He’s an average defender 1 on 1.
Walkers done some good jobs agree. He’s young and learning. But I don’t see his spot as locked in.

At the end of the day I’m not to fussed who plays as long as we win

It’s not surface level. He’s an average defender 1 on 1.
Walkers done some good jobs agree. He’s young and learning. But I don’t see his spot as locked in.

At the end of the day I’m not to fussed who plays as long as we win
It is surface level. Griffin Logue had a 1v1 loss rate of about 10% last year. Yet he would lose plenty of contests. It just doesn't correlate to what you actually see in the game.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Chapman doesn’t play AFL again until next season tbh.

I watched Peel last week and he looked really really rusty. I’d want him to have a really good at Peel until we consider him. Given how rusty he was last week it’s quite likely that takes 2-3 weeks by which time the season is pretty much finished.

It’s no big deal if he doesn’t play again. What we need is Chapman 100% fit for the start of pre season. That way he’s a walk up start for round one next year.

I really rate Chapman but 2024 is the priority.

In terms of changes, I’ve liked Stanley but there’s no rush on him either. Johnson coming in as sub should be the only change imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t be surprised if Chapman doesn’t play AFL again until next season tbh.

I watched Peel last week and he looked really really rusty. I’d want him to have a really good at Peel until we consider him. Given how rusty he was last week it’s quite likely that takes 2-3 weeks by which time the season is pretty much finished.

It’s no big deal if he doesn’t play again. What we need is Chapman 100% fit for the start of pre season. That way he’s a walk up start for round one next year.

I really rate Chapman but 2024 is the priority.

In terms of changes, I’ve liked Stanley but there’s no rush on him either. Johnson coming in as sub should be the only change imo.
He’d be in touch for finals though. If finals were on the card.

From one of his teammates who runs out with him:

"ETHAN HUGHES (100th milestone game)
He epitomises the trademark of Fremantle. He is no fuss and the way he takes the contest and bodylines the ball is so great. We saw some highlights of him yesterday and some of the highlights were literally him just going harder and stronger than anyone else. He epitomises what Fremantle is, and he lives and breathes the trademark which we all aspire to."

Chapman is zero chance to play AFL at this point. You don't miss the amount of footy he has and just come back to AFL after a managed minutes effort in the WAFL. I'm hoping when he does return its in a wing/midfield or even mid/forward role.

I don't bring Johnson back either. His form was tapering away and he needs to "rest" at the lower level a bit.

I would actually leave the team unchanged. I'd be tempted to start Stanley and give Ras the sub. He's one that probably hasn't got 4 quarters in him at this point of his career and while he was heavily involved early he made some shocking errors. I'm coming around to believing he's going to be a serious inside mid but I'd love to see Stanley get a look from earlier and let Ras come on as a burst player later as I think he'd excel at it.

Everyone played their role today. Everyone. You have to reward that.

The question I don't have an answer for is what to do if Cox is ready. Obviously he's best 22 but its been so good watching Hamling show he still has it. He's such a reliable and clever defender and the balance with him their is allowing Pearce and Ryan to be more proactive with intercepting as well as Young to go up the ground into the middle, which I really hope we persist with. Both Young and Chapman need to be part of the midfield group.

Wagner has the fearless dash that replaces Walker's role and he's been terrific especially kicking inside 50.

I suppose if anyone has to come out for Cox and keep the balance it probably is Hughes but I don't like the disrespect shown to him earlier in this thread. He's a limited footballer but I have nothing but respect for how hard he goes.
Tend to agree Eshed. Im not convinced Cox will just walk back in at the expense of Hamling. Could you play all three of Pearce, Hamling and Cox - at least until Chappie is back?

Would want Hamling in anyway. Matches better v Hipwood or Daniher.

Out: Hughes

In: Chapman

Hughes job is now done. 100 games up and he's been alright actually but that's all we needed from him this season. Chappy time baby.
Can’t see it.
Chapman is so rusty and way off full AFL games.
Hughes was fine.

What’s the go with Erasmus? Thought he was solid. He’s building

Wagner is playing Clark’s offensive role while Clark is playing Walkers lockdown role. They are both doing very well with the switch up.
Will absolutely miss Walker this week however. Normally halves contests v Charlie Cameron. Looks after him well.
Clark has his work cut out for him

Cox can come in for Corbett & play forward for the good of our structure. Need to have a strong forward contest v Payne & Andrews as GC did today particularly with Jackson rucking. Treacy & Amiss will get chewed up by those 2.
Pearce was freed up a bit to play a more offensive role with Hamling in the team & looked better for it. Wouldn’t change the back group, had good balance today.

Cox can come in for Corbett & play forward for the good of our structure. Need to have a strong forward contest v Payne & Andrews as GC did today particularly with Jackson rucking. Treacy & Amiss will get chewed up by those 2.
Pearce was freed up a bit to play a more offensive role with Hamling in the team & looked better for it. Wouldn’t change the back group, had good balance today.
Wonder if Tabs could be in the frame. Perfect role for him. Probably a week too soon

That's why we need to keep Hamling on the list.

I’d like Stanley to get a full game at AFL next week. Ras sub, MJ at Peel to get a full run at it and remember what it’s like to have ball in hand and how he’s better than that level. Injury aside, rotate the three of them the rest of the year

That'd be good. No one deserves to lose their spot from yesterday's 22, and other than Cox no one deserves to walk into it. Jonno was way off it in his last 2 games and Cox whilst being a better option can benefit from either another week off or a game at Peel on reduced minutes. Chappo is way off.

Cox comes in for Hamling every day of week if he’s fully fit.

Gotta love when a player comes in and shows just a little bit, people try and find ways to move the team around just to fit that player in.

Three KPDs and Ryan won’t work. Cox as a forward is a waste of time as he’s going back to defence round one next year anyway.

If anything this can be Hamling’s farewell game and Cox can come back into the side next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes: Round 21 Vs Brisbane Lions + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back