Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? So he conjured a goal out of chaos and he now is the forward that we should pin our hopes on.. So what has changed since he last played forward. Maybe he plays better behind than in front. Don't see him outmarking his opponent 1 on 1 if they bomb it in. His goal kicking wasn't great either

I think Cox ran forward in play rather than being switched around by JL. As soon as the goal was kicked I watched Cox to see if the switch had happened - he went straight back to the defensive fifty.

Natural forwards tend to conjure goals out of chaos. His first season as a forward also compared favourably to Charlie Curnow who debuted at the same time.
I was at a match sim last preseason and Cox dominated as the deepest forward for his team. He reads the ball drop well, has a big body and is very skillful. 20-30m out from goal he can be very dangerous.
You're thinking of small crumbing forwards and their mercurial goals. Don't see him being able to outwrestle his opponent 1 on 1 or providing good leads.

I think Cox ran forward in play rather than being switched around by JL. As soon as the goal was kicked I watched Cox to see if the switch had happened - he went straight back to the defensive fifty.

He was starting on the wing and ran forward. The Roos winger was filling his shorts screaming for one of his defenders to switch players with him knowing Cox was going to push inside fifty and he had no chance of marking over him

Very one dimensional at the moment.

Need switta, aish, Frederick, and maybe young through it. Mix it up
Needs a big bodied mid there too, to bulldoze

Agree with Aish, Switta. Would still keep Brodie as when he is in form he is a good extractor..

Last edited:
Both Amiss & Treacy had 3 disposals. Both lead at the ball carrier & had it kicked over their heads. Treacy gave away 2 free kicks & Amiss gave away 1. Not sure why its ok for Amiss to get another go & not Treacy. Jackson who is on the big bucks has had 1 mark in 2 games. Treacy the only one out of these 3 to kick a goal.
Amiss played a game last weekend, Josh didn't. That's why I'd stick with Amiss if I had to choose.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

'We shouldn't give Treacy and Amiss games because they make mistakes."

They're kids, they're going to make mistakes. Should we drop every single kid that makes a mistake instantly?
Who said that? I haven't read much of that at all. I wouldn't play Treacy because he didn't play last weekend at all and took 1 mark the week before. He's not done anything at AFL level yet.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really? So he conjured a goal out of chaos and he now is the forward that we should pin our hopes on.. So what has changed since he last played forward. Maybe he plays better behind than in front. Don't see him outmarking his opponent 1 on 1 if they bomb it in. His goal kicking wasn't great either

He was very good when he played forward I thought. The issue is that he wants to play as a defender. And he will be an All Australian defender.

I hate to say it but Freo played better last year without Fyfe. He's barely played in years and it's costing Freo a massive slice of the cap for little reward.

Yes he's one of out greatest but he's clogging up 1.3 million a year. He was obviously worth big money for years but not anymore.

If he plays this weekend we lose a young player who should be developing.

Sturt Johnson and Erasmus aren't getting games ahead of Banfield and Hughes.

We need O'Driscoll on the wing and Walters in the 22 ahead of both Banfield and Hughes.

If Fyfe plays then there is no chance of the young guns getting a game. What's the point of a rebuild if we hand games to players who don't perform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to say it but Freo played better last year without Fyfe. He's barely played in years and it's costing Freo a massive slice of the cap for little reward.

Yes he's one of out greatest but he's clogging up 1.3 million a year. He was obviously worth big money for years but not anymore.

We need O'Driscoll on the wing and Walters in the 22 ahead of both Banfield and Hughes.

If Fyfe plays then there is no chance of the young guns getting a game. What's the point of a rebuild if we hand games to players who don't perform.
OK 2 games in and we already in a rebuild umm ok lol 🙄

OK 2 games in and we already in a rebuild umm ok lol 🙄

Ummmm no

We have been rebuilding since 2016 it's 2023

We have players gifted games over others who are more highly skilled and in the future will be far better. They should be playing over unskilled players such as Banfield and Hughes.

Tucker (traded), Balic (traded), Colin’s (traded)
Logue (traded), Darcy (best 22) Cox (best 22)
Brayshaw (best 22) cerra (traded), Dixon (delisted)
Sturt (shed), Valente (retired), Schultz (best 22)
Young (best 22), Serong (best 22), Henry (best 22)
Chapman (best 22), NOD (best 22), Walker (shed)
Amiss (in & out), Erasmus (shed), Johnson (shed)

Im not sure we can be conservative. We need to get our high end draft picks playing.

Over the last 7 years our top 3 draft picks (21 players), we have 9 that are best 22 of which 5 are locks.

Doesn’t look great

How much cap space he takes up is irrelevant to whether we should play him or not, that cap space is swallowed up regardless.

Depending on how this year goes he either takes a massive pay cut or potentially retires.

We aren't going rebuild mode 2 games in to a season. Fyfe in the forward line isn't taking a spot away from Erasmus or Johnson.

Walters will be back in this week, but he's not exactly young? Noddy will be back in when ready.

Erasmus and Johnson are teenagers who should have to force their way in to selection or wait for injuries like the young players at most good clubs.

If guys like Sturt can't push out guys like Banfield then they don't really deserve to be given minutes imo.

Two extremely bad losses but let's not lose the plot.

Two quote the GOAT Ross the boss "it's never as good as it seems and it's never as bad as it seems".

How much cap space he takes up is irrelevant to whether we should play him or not, that cap space is swallowed up regardless.

Depending on how this year goes he either takes a massive pay cut or potentially retires.

We aren't going rebuild mode 2 games in to a season. Fyfe in the forward line isn't taking a spot away from Erasmus or Johnson.

Walters will be back in this week, but he's not exactly young? Noddy will be back in when ready.

Erasmus and Johnson are teenagers who should have to force their way in to selection or wait for injuries like the young players at most good clubs.

If guys like Sturt can't push out guys like Banfield then they don't really deserve to be given minutes imo.

Two extremely bad losses but let's not lose the plot.

Two quote the GOAT Ross the boss "it's never as good as it seems and it's never as bad as it seems".

I get what you are saying but...

Walters is actually playing good football unlike Fyfe

Banfield has looked ordinary all preseason and both Johnson and Erasmus have performed better than him accross all intras. Hughes is lost on a wing. Those 19 olds have a lot to learn but Banfield and Hughes have reached their shallow peak.

Sturt has looked better than those two also.

How's Josh Corbett shaping up? thought he showed a bit at GC when he got his chance, usually good for a snag or two also.

Surely comes into calculations as a target up forward at some point

He had become an infinitely better player in almost every way since he last moved forward. And his contested marking up forward was very good for a teenager. Took the most contested marks for us that year and was top 10 per game amongst key forwards. Actually averaged more a game then than he did last year. Goal kicking wasn't great but he was still somehow our most accurate forward that year too (shocking news to me). Also second in the team for goal assists.

who takes his spot in the backline then?
Lot of talking about Hamling but honestly thing Ryan is the best choice. He's a much better defender tall than he is small, and we have more than enough replacements for Ryan.

That being said it's not going to happen and if they had any intention of moving him forward it would've happened last year instead of Griff.

A bit of a scuffle between Darcy and Clarke at training today, nothing major but hopefully they bring the same passion and intensity this weekend.

They made up joked and hugged it out at the end.
This is the best news Ive read since Saturday.
I’d love to see the whole lot of them scrapping away at training.
Far far to much of a nice guy vibe coming out of the club in recent times.

Tucker (traded), Balic (traded), Colin’s (traded)
Logue (traded), Darcy (best 22) Cox (best 22)
Brayshaw (best 22) cerra (traded), Dixon (delisted)
Sturt (shed), Valente (retired), Schultz (best 22)
Young (best 22), Serong (best 22), Henry (best 22)
Chapman (best 22), NOD (best 22), Walker (shed)
Amiss (in & out), Erasmus (shed), Johnson (shed)

Im not sure we can be conservative. We need to get our high end draft picks playing.

Over the last 7 years our top 3 draft picks (21 players), we have 9 that are best 22 of which 5 are locks.

Doesn’t look great
Half glass full......17 players on our team against NM were Fremantle Draft picks.

I didnt say he deserved a recall. But what i do find interesting is that there is different level of patience with some players compared to others
I still think they picked Treacy on form and compromised their preferred forward structure in the first game, then chose to leave him out for the second game to regain their preferred structure. I also think they think that Amiss is a better option close to goal (speed and positioning) whereas they rate Treacy more for the higher key forward role (endurance).

The hard hands / dropped marks wouldn't have helped his cause but nor would it for Taberner either; I think the deciding factor was more likely experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back