Preview Changes to the team for Rnd 1 of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Sorry Guys, I am just about done with this year. We need to have some home-truths in the off-season.

Who goes in and who goes out.

Forgive me Scythe94

I used to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed about being a Dees supporter. This team has worn me down.

Last edited:
FYI it’s heating up on our board that Dan Houston will be a demon next year.

I expect Tomo and Spargo to request trades. Hunter either delisted or traded for peanuts.
Ben Brown retiring.

No idea who we bring in and honestly don't care as long as Goody remains coach. I'm hoping by some miracle we keep our draft picks and get some good young talent in for the next coach.

Great 28 year old player that will work well with May/Lever but I feel like your defense is the least of your worries and you would of been better keeping the high draft picks.
Thankfully we haven't yet made the trade. 🤗

Great 28 year old player that will work well with May/Lever but I feel like your defense is the least of your worries and you would of been better keeping the high draft picks.
Correct. If we give up 2 firsts for Houston, this place will implode. We do have Tim Lamb and Simon Goodwin running the show. So anything is possible tbh

He's 28? We are actually considering selling the farm for a 28 year old in a position of the least need?
Only just turned 27, but get the point regardless.

Would disagree with 'position of least need' though. Salem and Bowey are bad, AMW and Woey are young + unproven. Rivers has already moved to the mids, and McVee hopefully follows next year.

But yeah, you can top up with HBs when you're actually good, not when you're in the midst of a major decline.

Just like with the idea of spending money on forwards, its an absolutely pointless acquisition when the coach is still talking contest and defense like he is and he keeps the same gameplan. Lets spend big draft capital and money on Houston to tell him to bomb it down the line to packs when you could direct any cheaper player to do the same thing.

Til Goodwin is gone everything is pointless.

There is only so much lipstick that can cover a pig , but its still a pig anyway . Dropping memberships , less prime time games equals less sponsors etc all need the team at least to look watchable . Unfortunately without a change of coach the decline will continue until either those at the top start jumping ship , or they will change direction and remove the coach for a start. Ideally i would just pay him out and thank him for the flag ,but its time to go in a new direction etc. Doubt the board has the balls to do it . As i still don't think we will make the finals , thinking one player in can change anything is ****ing hilarious and frightening at the same time . Without change , this ship isn't done sinking .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance we can have one thread that stays on the actual topic? I get everyone is mad and wants to rage about the same 2 topics, but I'm actually keen to chat about what can potentially change for next year without reversing over the same posts over and over.

So, in saying that... (and trying to be reasonably realistic)

COACHING GROUP etc
OUT: Stafford, Griffith
IN: Melksham, Nick Walsh

PLAYING LIST
OUT: Tomlinson, Melksham, Schache, B.Brown, J.Smith, A.Brayshaw, KFW, Hunter
RE-SIGN: Langdon, McDonald, AMW, K.Brown, Hore, Sestan, Verrall
Current picks: 7, 38, 42, 48, 63, 81

TRADE/FA
IN: Cumming, Houston, Derksen, Harry Edwards

HOW
Picks 7 and 38 to Gold Coast for 10 and 28 (GC get more points)
Future 1st to Freo for 13 (Spreads out their picks more)
Cumming - Free agent
Houston, Port's pick 32 - pick 10
Derksen - pick 42
Edwards - pick 28

DRAFT
Picks: 13, 32, 38
Take best available, but a ruck somewhere in there would be good.

Last edited:
I Dont Morgan Freeman GIF

Any chance we can have one thread that stays on the actual topic? I get everyone is mad and wants to rage about the same 2 topics, but I'm actually keen to chat about what can potentially change for net year without reversing over the same posts over and over.

COACHING GROUP etc

PLAYING LIST

TRADE/FA

HOW
Cumming - Free agent
Derksen - pick 42
Edwards - pick 28

DRAFT

Dunno much about Nick Walsh but our fitness/conditioning has not been the same since Burgess left so I am for a change.

Melksham is an interesting one but new ideas are needed.

Personally I would prefer Waterman over Houston but also need to find a ruck from somewhere.

Dunno much about Nick Walsh but our fitness/conditioning has not been the same since Burgess left so I am for a change.

Melksham is an interesting one but new ideas are needed. Personally I would prefer Waterman over Houston but need to find a ruck from somewhere.

Fitness bosses are a bit like assistants, you never really know from the outside, but Walsh would be potentially available and was highly rated when at the Saints. Need change there, agree on that.

I'd like more change in our coaching group, but can't see there being wholesale changes there. Choco could be a chance to go given our skills have still been poor, and personally I'm not sold on McQualter given how our midfield has gone this year but I would assume he signed at least a 2 year deal when he came across.

I'd be keen on Waterman, but can't see us getting both him and Houston done and there's more noise around Houston. Waterman rumour could be his management putting pressure on WC to re-negotiate I reckon.

Fitness bosses are a bit like assistants, you never really know from the outside, but Walsh would be potentially available and was highly rated when at the Saints. Need change there, agree on that.

I'd like more change in our coaching group, but can't see there being wholesale changes there. Choco could be a chance to go given our skills have still been poor, and personally I'm not sold on McQualter given how our midfield has gone this year but I would assume he signed at least a 2 year deal when he came across.

I'd be keen on Waterman, but can't see us getting both him and Houston done and there's more noise around Houston. Waterman rumour could be his management putting pressure on WC to re-negotiate I reckon.

Agree as our conditioning and coaching has not been the same since Burges and Yze have left. Recruiting has not helped this either.

Would be good to poach someone like James Rahilly from Geelong but that seems unlikely as I am also not sold on McQualter and Chaplin has been with us long enough.

I really like Houston but if Waterman is N/A I would rather trade for a another mid or ruck. I like the Freo trade idea (unless they get Chad Warner) and take 7 and 13 to the draft.

Agree as our conditioning and coaching has not been the same since Burges and Yze have left. Recruiting has not helped this either.

Would be good to poach someone like James Rahilly from Geelong but that seems unlikely as I am also not sold on McQualter and Chaplin has been with us long enough.

I really like Houston but if Waterman is N/A I would rather trade for a another mid or ruck. I like the Freo trade idea (unless they get Chad Warner) and take 7 and 13 to the draft.

Wouldn't be totally shocked if Chaplin left for a different opportunity. Seems to be pretty highly rated around the comp.

Reckon Houston would potentially play midfield for us, bit of a Gus replacement maybe where he plays some mid and some HB or similar? Gives us even more flexibility with Rivers and McVee then.

Houston is the 2nd best kick inside 50 in the comp this year, would be crazy to not go after him IMO.

Why do we need another ruck when Gawn is still going well and we have a developing ruck in Verral?

Gawn has perhaps 2 years left at most. IMO time to draft/recruit another young ruck so we have more than 1 on our list come 2026. I mean, we already saw this year what happens when he's out injured with Petty and JVR thrown in there.

Gawn has perhaps 2 years left at most. IMO time to draft/recruit another young ruck so we have more than 1 on our list come 2026. I mean, we already saw this year what happens when he's out injured with Petty and JVR thrown in there.
As long we pay absolute peanuts in the draft I'm fine with it. Don't want to see is wasting second rounders or, heaven forbid, first rounders on a ruck when there are other needs right now.

I still think they should have played Verral when Gawn was injured, but whatever.

As long we pay absolute peanuts in the draft I'm fine with it. Don't want to see is wasting second rounders or, heaven forbid, first rounders on a ruck when there are other needs right now.

I still think they should have played Verral when Gawn was injured, but whatever.

Yeah agree on all that. I wouldn't be paying a high price for a ruck (barring another Jackson), but I think we need another one on our list - Particularly given we'll lose a lot of talls this year.

From memory, I think Verrall was just unlucky as he got a concussion just before Gawn was injured?

Any chance we can have one thread that stays on the actual topic? I get everyone is mad and wants to rage about the same 2 topics, but I'm actually keen to chat about what can potentially change for net year without reversing over the same posts over and over.

COACHING GROUP etc

PLAYING LIST

TRADE/FA

HOW
Cumming - Free agent
Derksen - pick 42
Edwards - pick 28

DRAFT
Tomlinson has another year on his contract? Yes/No?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes to the team for Rnd 1 of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back