Preview Changes to the team for Rnd 1 of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem now is that we can't even play the Goodwin contest/defense gameplan anymore. Regardless of how much I didn't like it we were very effective at it the past two years. We've gone from never getting smashed to getting smashed half a dozen times this year mostly in the second half of the year. Viney can't win the ball anymore, Brayshaw is gone and Oliver is barely AFL standard. I haven't seen our midfield get this badly smashed in a decade. Not sure how we resolve that in one off-season.

The problem now is that we can't even play the Goodwin contest/defense gameplan anymore. Regardless of how much I didn't like it we were very effective at it the past two years. We've gone from never getting smashed to getting smashed half a dozen times this year mostly in the second half of the year. Viney can't win the ball anymore, Brayshaw is gone and Oliver is barely AFL standard. I haven't seen our midfield get this badly smashed in a decade. Not sure how we resolve that in one off-season.
Play a completely different style, we have blokes like Bowey, Hunter, Billings, Laurie, Woewodin, Koz, Chandler, Rivers etc who all do their best work in a transition game and apart from Koz and Riv all look a bit useless in a contested style game.

Don't worry about clearance and contest and focus more on winning it off turnover either in the back or front half and you can use those smaller guys more effectively

Play a completely different style, we have blokes like Bowey, Hunter, Billings, Laurie, Woewodin, Koz, Chandler, Rivers etc who all do their best work in a transition game and apart from Koz and Riv all look a bit useless in a contested style game.

Don't worry about clearance and contest and focus more on winning it off turnover either in the back or front half and you can use those smaller guys more effectively
Most of the players you mention can't mark a ball above their eyes. That puts a lot of pressure on the ball carrier.
Give preference to those who can kick and mark.

Most of the players you mention can't mark a ball above their eyes. That puts a lot of pressure on the ball carrier.
Give preference to those who can kick and mark.
I'll let you work out what a transition game is

Absolutely the gameplan has to change now. Don't think we need to win clearance but we also can't be losing 80% of them and having the opposition walk it out of the middle. That just destroys you. That isn't just about us not having the cattle anymore but the effort has also been really poor. I've said a bit this year that Goodwin has lost the playing group. I still think that's the case but it's also not impossible for him to get them back if he wants to.

Goodwin has a bit of a Buckley late 2017 moment in front of him if he chooses to see it.

Absolutely the gameplan has to change now. Don't think we need to win clearance but we also can't be losing 80% of them and having the opposition walk it out of the middle. That just destroys you. That isn't just about us not having the cattle anymore but the effort has also been really poor. I've said a bit this year that Goodwin has lost the playing group. I still think that's the case but it's also not impossible for him to get them back if he wants to.

Goodwin has a bit of a Buckley late 2017 moment in front of him if he chooses to see it.

This is the first year I reckon we’ve genuinely stop trying in games, and that is a very bad reflection on Goody. People say ‘oh the players love him’ but that doesn’t mean his message is getting through week to week.

This is the first year I reckon we’ve genuinely stop trying in games, and that is a very bad reflection on Goody. People say ‘oh the players love him’ but that doesn’t mean his message is getting through week to week.
They could love him coz he lets them get away with shit. Who doesnt like working under a boss like that.

They could love him coz he lets them get away with shit. Who doesnt like working under a boss like that.
That's neither here nor there but what's obvious is the buy in and effort from our players this year has been far worse than in previous years. Goodwin said as much in his presser.

When that's one or two players every so often you can put that on those players but when it's most of the team and especially senior players and it's happening every other week it's on the coach.

Will never happen, hence my post earlier but I’d put a broom through the joint from top to bottom.

As far as the list goes I’d blow that up too. From our uncontracted list I’d re-sign: Moniz-Wakefield, Langdon, Melksham, K Brown, McDonald, Hore and Verrall.
Meaning that Tomlinson, B Brown, Smith, Schache, Farris-White, Hunter, Kentfield and Sestan go.

I’d put May, Salem, Viney, Spargo, Oliver, Bowey and Sparrow up for trade. I’m aware we wouldn’t get much in return but if it got us an improved draft hand that would be a start. Not entirely against getting Houston if we were clever about it and Cumming would be good as a free agent because we need to drastically improve our midfield. A decent young key back would be nice but hopefully this could be Adams or Disco Turner.

With our remaining personnel I’d switch Petty to defence, McVee to the middle, Rivers on ball, Petracca primarily forward and Pickett closer to a 50/50 split. I’d rather see a smaller and more dynamic forward line. Further, I’d swing more combinations through the centre and see if we could find some good level mids out of Windsor, Laurie, Howes, Chandler, Tholstrup, Woewodin, K Brown and Moniz-Wakefield.

B: Adams/Turner - Petty - Moniz-Wakefield
HB: Houston - Lever - Cumming
C: Langdon - Rivers - Howes
HF: ANB - Petracca - Pickett
F: McAdam - Fritsch - Chandler
R: Gawn - Windsor - McVee
I: Verrall - Tholstrup - Woewodin - K Brown

Depth: Laurie, Melksham, Jefferson, McDonald, Hore, Fullarton,

Will never happen, hence my post earlier but I’d put a broom through the joint from top to bottom.

As far as the list goes I’d blow that up too. From our uncontracted list I’d re-sign: Moniz-Wakefield, Langdon, Melksham, K Brown, McDonald, Hore and Verrall.
Meaning that Tomlinson, B Brown, Smith, Schache, Farris-White, Hunter, Kentfield and Sestan go.

I’d put May, Salem, Viney, Spargo, Oliver, Bowey and Sparrow up for trade. I’m aware we wouldn’t get much in return but if it got us an improved draft hand that would be a start. Not entirely against getting Houston if we were clever about it and Cumming would be good as a free agent because we need to drastically improve our midfield. A decent young key back would be nice but hopefully this could be Adams or Disco Turner.

With our remaining personnel I’d switch Petty to defence, McVee to the middle, Rivers on ball, Petracca primarily forward and Pickett closer to a 50/50 split. I’d rather see a smaller and more dynamic forward line. Further, I’d swing more combinations through the centre and see if we could find some good level mids out of Windsor, Laurie, Howes, Chandler, Tholstrup, Woewodin, K Brown and Moniz-Wakefield.

Solid post. Poor JVR though :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howes on the wing 😍
Ditching Sestan 😥

Interesting post but if Jack Viney was traded the MCC would be burnt to the ground.

I like the idea of McVee up the ground but perhaps on the wing, similar to J Hunt but with better foot skills.

Interesting post but if Jack Viney was traded the MCC would be burnt to the ground.

I like the idea of McVee up the ground but perhaps on the wing, similar to J Hunt but with better foot skills.
Hawthorn traded all their stars at the end of their careers. It will be fine.

And they've played finals in 1 of the 7 seasons since.
More to do with them topping up with middling players in 2017 when their window was already shut than losing their aging stars.

I'll give you another example. Hogan got traded out and it didn't do us any harm. Grundy traded by Collingwood same thing.

And they've played finals in 1 of the 7 seasons since.
Need to be ruthless though. The list needs a clean-out and a much needed refresh. Both on field and off.

If the club had any guts they'd request an extensive and exhaustive external review from people not blinded and biased by Red and Blue eyes. But they don't and they'll have their heads in the sand fingers stuck in ears.

More to do with them topping up with middling players in 2017 when their window was already shut than losing their aging stars.

I'll give you another example. Hogan got traded out and it didn't do us any harm. Grundy traded by Collingwood same thing.

Wouldn't have thought us trading out a 23 year old homesick and troubled player was in any way similar to trading out a 30 year old vice captain. I mean, we brought in a 26 year old player to replace him.

Grundy is 1 player. I wouldn't have a problem with trading 1 old player.

Need to be ruthless though. The list needs a clean-out and a much needed refresh. Both on field and off.

If the club had any guts they'd request an extensive and exhaustive external review from people not blinded and biased by Red and Blue eyes. But they don't and they'll have their heads in the sand fingers stuck in ears.

Ruthless, absolutely. Trading out for nothing? No thanks. I'm not in the panic rebuild mode like a few others seem to be. We have plenty of work to do on the list, but there's a bit of cathartic commentary going on at the moment.

Agree on the review. I commented earlier about the pressure needing to be on Richardson, Pert and Roffey, so can't have Richo doing a review into himself.

Wouldn't have thought us trading out a 23 year old homesick and troubled player was in any way similar to trading out a 30 year old vice captain. I mean, we brought in a 26 year old player to replace him.

Grundy is 1 player. I wouldn't have a problem with trading 1 old player.
The point I was trying to get across in my original reply to Jibroni was that we shouldn't be afraid of a trade just because it's unpopular. The supporters will get over it. If it's the right move for the club then do it.

The point I was trying to get across in my original reply to Jibroni was that we shouldn't be afraid of a trade just because it's unpopular. If it's the right move for the club then do it.

Agree on that. I just don't think 'trade anyone over 28' is a fantastic strategy, particularly given we wouldn't get much back. Completely not worth it. Think some people just want to gut everything because they're upset.

Agree on that. I just don't think 'trade anyone over 28' is a fantastic strategy, particularly given we wouldn't get much back. Completely not worth it. Think some people just want to gut everything because they're upset.
Yeah everything I said is predicated on the notion that it's a worthwhile trade. Like the idea of trading Oliver has to be us getting something worthwhile out of it cause it's not much good clearing cap space with nowhere for it to go unless we've basically given up on him as a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes to the team for Rnd 1 of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back