Preview Changes to the team for Rnd 1 of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Ruthless, absolutely. Trading out for nothing? No thanks. I'm not in the panic rebuild mode like a few others seem to be. We have plenty of work to do on the list, but there's a bit of cathartic commentary going on at the moment.

Agree on the review. I commented earlier about the pressure needing to be on Richardson, Pert and Roffey, so can't have Richo doing a review into himself.

"We reviewed ourselves and found no faults"

Yeah everything I said is predicated on the notion that it's a worthwhile trade. Like the idea of trading Oliver has to be us getting something worthwhile out of it cause it's not much good clearing cap space with nowhere for it to go unless we've basically given up on him as a player.

Will be an interesting trade period for us in that regard I reckon - We don't have a lot to work with currently, and all the players likely leaving won't get us anything, yet we've been linked to at least 2 trades that would require high currency. Something has to give somewhere.

I do think you could con a club into a late first for Oliver if we took on a lot of the contract. I'd be shocked if the club did it though, they don't have the guts. So weird how Goody started off with a bunch of ruthless trades in his first few years now we don't make any moves. I know it isn't solely on him but surely he has the final say on the players who come in.

The point I was trying to get across in my original reply to Jibroni was that we shouldn't be afraid of a trade just because it's unpopular. The supporters will get over it. If it's the right move for the club then do it.

Understand but when that player is the VC, son of a club legend and has placed his body on the line numerous times for the club there can be consequences, questions of loyalty if he does not want to leave.

I loved Jesse but understood the reason he was traded, which in the end worked out for both parties.

I do think you could con a club into a late first for Oliver if we took on a lot of the contract. I'd be shocked if the club did it though, they don't have the guts. So weird how Goody started off with a bunch of ruthless trades in his first few years now we don't make any moves. I know it isn't solely on him but surely he has the final say on the players who come in.
Wasn't the buzz around Oliver that other clubs thought he was gettable and that it wasn't coming from us? That makes me think Oliver's manager has been calling around. Best case scenario would be Oliver wants a trade then we can tell him to sort out his contract with that club If he wants to leave they can take on his contract or he can work out his pay with them. Then the question of the pick opens up a little.

We'll only pay a part of his contract if we're the ones selling him imo.

Understand but when that player is the VC, son of a club legend and has placed his body on the line numerous times for the club there can be consequences, questions of loyalty if he does not want to leave.

I loved Jesse but understood the reason he was traded, which in the end worked out for both parties.
Personally I wouldn't trade Viney, I'd just play him as a defensive forward for the rest of his career and leave Sparrow out of the team.

Personally I wouldn't trade Viney, I'd just play him as a defensive forward for the rest of his career and leave Sparrow out of the team.

Sparrow and Viney should be fighting for the same spot next year IMO. The role will be pending what players come in/out, but that's how I'd set it up if I was Goody. Both play better angry.

Viney wouldn't get traded anyway as he is OOC next year and it is looking like his last season of AFL. Happy to say that is one I'd be sentimental on and just never consider, the coaches just need to make him earn his spot next year.
That's where though a club like GC might offer him 3 years to our 1 and he might decide too for the $ wouldn't blame him either
Realistically nothing happens, the fact we are even talking about Houston probably means we re sign everyone 30+ to extend the window

That's where though a club like GC might offer him 3 years to our 1 and he might decide too for the $ wouldn't blame him either
Realistically nothing happens, the fact we are even talking about Houston probably means we re sign everyone 30+ to extend the window

Get what you're saying but I'd be surprised if anyone offers him a deal. Think someone like North would be more likely to take Tmac (But also his last few weeks have been pretty bad, I really hope we haven't signed him and now he has checked out).

I love Steven May but would be perfectly fine with trading him if we got something OK back, but that'd be an admission from the club our window is closed and I can't see them accepting it. Feel like we're stuck in a cycle of mediocrity for years now :(

Get what you're saying but I'd be surprised if anyone offers him a deal. Think someone like North would be more likely to take Tmac (But also his last few weeks have been pretty bad, I really hope we haven't signed him and now he has checked out).

I love Steven May but would be perfectly fine with trading him if we got something OK back, but that'd be an admission from the club our window is closed and I can't see them accepting it. Feel like we're stuck in a cycle of mediocrity for years now :(

Agreed. T Mac and May and Salem are the oldies we should be looking at trading for salary dumps if anyone wants them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruthless, absolutely. Trading out for nothing? No thanks. I'm not in the panic rebuild mode like a few others seem to be.
I don't particularly want to trade out the likes of May either; however, what is it about our list that makes you think we're a bit of tinkering away from a flag?

Defence
Has been our major point of difference for years, however:
  • May is nearly done – looking less and less mobile every game and turns 33 before the start of next year.
  • T-Mac might be done.
  • Lever gets exposed any time he is asked to defend, and without a top-notch defender like May next to him, he'll start to look worse and worse.
  • There's Petty and Turner; however, we're seemingly set on trying to make them into forwards. Even if they do go back, neither are really number one KPDs. We'll get killed if they play on the best forwards every week. Tomlinson will be out the door in a couple of weeks and Adams is a mile off.
  • I like him, but Hore is either delisted or purely depth.
  • Salem and Bowey add nothing. McVee is a gun, but is he wasted down back? AMW and Howes show a bit of promise, but that's all at this stage. Woey is a solid jobber, but don't see him becoming anything more than a B-grader at best.
Midfield
The other former strength of ours, however:
  • Gawn is getting close to the end, and can't be relied on to play a whole season now. Fullarton is seemingly a list clogger, Verrall is a project, Farris-White is an easy delist.
  • Viney is basically at the end of his usefulness.
  • Oliver is a massive, expensive question mark. I'm losing confidence that he'll get close to the player he was.
  • Trac is obviously a gun, but it's hard to know how he'll go upon return from a major, rare injury.
  • Riv and Windsor are guns.
  • Sparrow sucks, Laurie isn't much better.
  • Brown and Tholstrup are projects.
  • Langdon's still doing well, Hunter will be gone at EOY.
Forwards
Plenty has been written about our forward line:
  • Kozzy is a gun, tick. JVR has all the tools, but desperately needs a decent target next to him to take some of the heat off (and ideally doesn't get wasted in the ruck).
  • Petty and Turner as above, neither is overly likely to make a solid second KPF (give Turner more hope).
  • McAdam has unfortunately been a disaster, despite having talent.
  • Fritsch is a gun, but isn't used correctly.
  • Chandler is another solid jobber, but not a difference maker.
  • ANB is obviously great, but is a role-player.
  • Kentfield is a project.
  • Brown will retire. Melk quite possibly will, too.
  • Sestan is a chance to be delisted. Schache will be delisted, Billings should be too, though probably sees out contract as depth.
  • Spargo probably gone too? Regardless, he's not very good.
I just don't see enough winners in that group to be anywhere near a flag contender. Could we get a bit of dead cat bounce with a healthy list and potentially fall into the bottom part of the eight? Maybe. But we are so, so far behind the top few teams, especially when you consider that we're poorly coached.

Oliver is a massive, expensive question mark. I'm losing confidence that he'll get close to the player he was.
Oliver is a drain on the the salary cap. Bad for the team, bad for the club.
There's Petty and Turner;
I'm optimistic that at least one these will make a great defender. Some continuity of playing role/position would help a lot.

Go thru the list and tally up the foot speed. Hot speed, Kozzie is all we have.

I don't particularly want to trade out the likes of May either; however, what is it about our list that makes you think we're a bit of tinkering away from a flag?

I'm more in the middle. I don't think we're into a full rebuild, but also think we need more than tinkering. Clearly we're targeting significant players in the trade/FA period (been linked to Battle, Cumming, Waterman and Houston as a start), so I don't think we'll be doing another Hunter/Billings/Dunstan type of recruiting period.

I think the significant areas for us to address are - Fitness (staff and preparation), Coaching (need fresh assistants and a comprehensive review of game style), and peak age talent - Which is why I'm reasonably happy about who we've been linked to so far. Get those three areas right and I think we can be in contention again next year.

I'm reasonably happy with our spread of talent in the under 23 category, I think the focus there needs to be on top end talent (like it was last year) and perhaps a ruck with a later pick. I don't think we'll be hitting the draft hard at all in terms of amount of picks/players.

The reasonably realistic wishlist I posted previously is what I'm hoping for this offseason, and, if we get our preparation right (this week's selection will say a lot), I believe we can be up around the 4th-6th mark next year. I know that's not the same opinion as the loudest voices here, but that's what I believe.

I'm more in the middle. I don't think we're into a full rebuild, but also think we need more than tinkering. Clearly we're targeting significant players in the trade/FA period (been linked to Battle, Cumming, Waterman and Houston as a start), so I don't think we'll be doing another Hunter/Billings/Dunstan type of recruiting period.

I think the significant areas for us to address are - Fitness (staff and preparation), Coaching (need fresh assistants and a comprehensive review of game style), and peak age talent - Which is why I'm reasonably happy about who we've been linked to so far. Get those three areas right and I think we can be in contention again next year.

I'm reasonably happy with our spread of talent in the under 23 category, I think the focus there needs to be on top end talent (like it was last year) and perhaps a ruck with a later pick. I don't think we'll be hitting the draft hard at all in terms of amount of picks/players.

The reasonably realistic wishlist I posted previously is what I'm hoping for this offseason, and, if we get our preparation right (this week's selection will say a lot), I believe we can be up around the 4th-6th mark next year. I know that's not the same opinion as the loudest voices here, but that's what I believe.
I love your optimism.
What is hot speed?
Kozzie. It is the first 10 metres that does it and he doesn't slow down to kick the ball.
See also: Richards, Stengle, Treloar, ...

I love your optimism.

Kozzie. It is the first 10 metres that does it and he doesn't slow down to kick the ball.
See also: Richards, Stengle, Treloar, ...
Seen KozzY (no IE!!) get pinged plenty of times in the first 10 metres.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes to the team for Rnd 1 of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back