Preview Changes to the team for Rnd 1 of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Chad Warner pace?

Kozzy, Chandler, Windsor, AMW, Langdon, McVee, Rivers all have decent wheels, but ball movement > leg speed.
Nailed it. Kozzie's straight line speed is over rated, his agility and change of direction combined with first 2 steps is elite but he is a step behind someone like Charlie Cameron.

Windsor would be easily our fastest player straight line, he has an extra gear or turbo button when it already looks like he is at top speed. What he has done and shown in his first season is underated particularly within our plodding game style.

I don't think this will happen but just what could improve the team provided we don't give up a king's ransom (spoiler alert we would have to).

In: Houston, Battle, Waterman, Cumming

Out: Oliver (cap space and draft capital) and all the list cloggers. Make some tough calls on others for Salary cap relief i.e. Salem, May etc.

I would want to maintain a 1st round draft pick (our current or out of the Oliver trade) and a couple of mid 2nd to mid 3rds.

Houston - elite kick, underrated defender, can play mid and I think has 4 years of his best football ahead of him with another 2-3 serviceable years baring injury.

Battle - May closer to end, McDonald even more so, Lever would need him.

Waterman - JVR needs help and would allow turner or Petty to go back

Cumming - young, decent kick and athleticism. Doesn't cost draft capital. Potentially frees up mcVee and/or Houston to play mid minutes.

Positional changes (depending on which of the ins happen):
  • McVee into midfield or wing
  • Petty or Turner back
  • Petracca more fwd half
  • Viney to play as defensive forward, he would be a menace and can kick goals. His 20-30m kicks have improved considerably and handy being a lefty.
  • Windsor to see some minutes off halfback for run/carry and maybe centre bounces (might be a 2026 evolution).
  • Kozzie more CBA's, more up the ground to lose his opponent mixed in with some isolation as deepest forward (ala Charlie Cameron).
  • Bowey tried forward, he should be squeezed out of the backline with the ins (already should be) and we need another small forward.

We could have a far more dynamic team of players switching up positions to make us less predictable and harder to defend.

Houston, Waterman and Battle have all shown they can regularly best their opponents 1:1 in their positions.
We have players like Rivers, McVee, Petracca, Gawn and Kozzie who do the same. We just rely on too few stars and too many role players.

We have a void in the 23-27 age bracket, 3-4yrs of Houston, Battle, Watermans best gives our under 23's time to enter this bracket (their primes) at which point they could all still be handy role players for another 2-3yrs - we just need to keep some draft capital this year and next so we don't have a void there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes to the team for Rnd 1 of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back