Strategy Changes v Carltank, Sunday April 21st

Remove this Banner Ad

What the hell are we doing to poor English. Looks like we’re back to seeing Dunkley in the ruck.
Imagine if English got injured early in the game, Dunkley would be our first ruck. This scenario will happen at some point if we continue to pick only one tall.

English and our mids will find a way. Its not Grundy and the Pies midfield this week.

Im not sure Bont Libba, Macrae et al are getting they appreciation they deserve for negating/reading the oppostion taps. Bar one qtr they had the pies stuffed as well off a 5 day break and the game was fougbt out in different areas. A decent conversion rate and fwd effort and we could have applied real pressure to the pies for them to choke on.

There are 3 or 4 ruck midfield combos in the comp we have to worry about. Our bigger concern is the fwd 50 and conversion.

Surprised that Trengove didn’t come in to replace Schache and give English a hand. He doesn’t offer much as a forward but I feel like at the very least he’d give a contest and get the ball to ground for the smaller guys to go to work.

Don’t mind the team in all. I’d have Suckling in our top 5 or 6 players this year and Duryea has been good too, won’t be easy to replace but it’ll be good seeing Richards at half back again. Happy that Williams is back to, he was one of the guys I thought would make the jump this season.

Lipinski can count himself unlucky again. Hope he keeps knocking the door down in the VFL

Man his head must be ready to explode
Racking the numbers up in the VFL and still can't crack it for a game :mad:
He'd know exactly what he needs to do and exactly why he's not getting picked.

The only way he could have an issue would be if he didn't agree with the message.... 9 times out of 10 the MC are spot on and the player is looking out for number 1 when that is the case.

He'd know exactly what he needs to do and exactly why he's not getting picked.

The only way he could have an issue would be if he didn't agree with the message.... 9 times out of 10 the MC are spot on and the player is looking out for number 1 when that is the case.
Just seems incongruous that we are supposed to be rewarding form. And he appears to be in form and not getting a crack.
As you say there must be something that the MC want him to work on

More of a Bev team for me.
Doesn't care about tap outs goes with mids.
Loses two rehashed favorites in Suckers and Dureya
And replaces them with new blood in Hayes and Young.
Like it.
Schache needs to learn endeavor and passion for the team
Drops him for another mid.
Believe we win more than we lose when Suckers is injured.
2015 2016 Bev is back.

Lynch is out of favour at the moment, played well last Friday. Watched the whole game and L Young was average, too raw for mind yet hope he proved me wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some interesting aspects this week.

- Carlton have generated the highest number of stoppages in the league so far this year, whilst our games have had the fewest.

- A higher volume stoppage game would seem to suit us, as Carlton are -20 in clearances (16th) and -11 in CPs (13th), whilst, despite having the fewest opportunities, we are +28 for clearances (T-1st) and +19 for CPs (6th).

- The two teams' capacity in the contest is pretty clearly reflected in their respective abilities to gain and prevent I50s, as Carlton have conceded 59 I50s per game (18th) and we have generated 63 per game (1st), whilst at the other end, we have conceded only 49 I50s per game (1st) and Carlton have generated just 50 per game (14th).

- Carlton average 8.3 marks inside 50 per game (18th), whilst we average 12.8 (4th). Relative to I50s, the numbers don't get any better for Carlton and get slightly less impressive for us, as Carlton is averaging 0.16 MI50 per I50 (18th), whilst we are averaging 0.20 (9th).

- Where things get really dicey is once both teams get the ball I50, where Carlton are only slightly better than us at converting I50s into goals, with Carlton averaging 0.19 goals per I50 (15th) while we average 0.18 (18th).

- Even though we have conceded the fewest I50s per game and Carlton have conceded the most, Carlton average 77.3 intercept possessions (8th) while we average 74 (9th). Sure, you can take from that that our defensive structure is probably better than theirs, but our intercepts are also occurring further up the ground than Carlton's (i.e. before an I50 is conceded), reflected in the I50s numbers and also by Libba and Macrae trailing only Suckling, Duryea, Crozier and Cordy for intercept possessions, whilst Carlton's top six interceptors are all defenders.

- Unfortunately, that advantage may not be as prominent as it may have been, as our two leading intercept players are indeed Suckling and Duryea, who are both out this week. Hopefully Young's good form as an interceptor carries into AFL.

- We will need to work hard to limit Carlton's ability to release the pressure valve with bail out marks; Carlton average 14 contested marks (2nd), whilst we concede an average of 16 (18th).

We should win the midfield battle and generate a huge number of I50s against Carlton, while limiting their forwards' opportunities. Carlton are poor at winning the ball and, even when they do, poorer still at generating a mark inside 50 or goal. We aren't much better once we get the ball I50, but weight of numbers should win the day for us. If we turn our midfield ascendancy into at least 13-14 goals (Carlton haven’t kicked more than 11), don’t heavily concede the aerial battle and Williams and Young can be a half decent facsimile Duryea and Suckling as interceptors, we should win with moderate comfort.
am
whilst i agree with your excellent assessment, i still feel really scared about this game. the poor quality of kicking, conversion and turnovers (all of which cost us the last two games) has me worried. hope the english experiment succeeds have a cold atm. which makes me very negative. gowers, dicko, dunkley, english, wallis, mclean, woody all need to lift considerably this sunday.. GO DOGS!!!

Apparently you don't need talls anymore. That team is VFL standard, Sunday will be an embarrassment.
Dude what happened in April 2014 that made you hate the club? Almost every post since that date has been extremely negative. Almost every post before it nice/fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back