Preview Changes V North Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Our goalkicking accuracy is a joke. What are we doing about it? If I was Brad Johnson I would be concentrating on set shots from inside 40 metres with a number of our regular goal scorers. The biggest issue I can see is the ball drop. Take Jamarra for example. He is a very good accurate field kick where it is more a of a reflex motion. However, he has an inconsistent ball drop with the slower more mechanical set shot and misses regular left and right chasing a poor drop.

Look at other sports where the release of the ball and hands are critical. For example, the ball toss is critical for a good accurate tennis serve and in golf the interlocking grip helps to move the hands together.

So, what I would do is to get a rubber band to wrap around the wrists allowing the hands to open to hold and release the footy but at the same time keeping the hands a lot more rigid and moving together. I firmly believe this will lead to a more consistent ball drop for Jamarra and others like Sam, Astro, Bont and others and significantly improve accuracy.

The band could also be legally used in a game by wrapping it around the wrist a few times. Then positioning it on both wrists when setting up for the shot. Plenty of time within the allowable for 30 seconds to do this.

Stupidity is to keep practicing the same thing with the same technique and expect a better result. You need to try something different to see if it works.
Goal kicking 90% mental. Especially when it’s a set shot because time is frozen and nerves kick in. The nerves ‘kick in’ when the goal opens up for them in general play too. But these goals are kicked at training with nothing riding on them. A good psychologist may help? The future of professional sports is mental improvement.

Just would not be the bulldogs when finals or top 4 are in the line to make it as hard as possible to make it. If either of the blues or Bombers win both we will need to win both to make it. All we can do is to win this week to us a chance and that is far from certain.

Goal kicking 90% mental. Especially when it’s a set shot because time is frozen and nerves kick in. The nerves ‘kick in’ when the goal opens up for them in general play too. But these goals are kicked at training with nothing riding on them. A good psychologist may help? The future of professional sports is mental improvement.
Really. Is it mental that Naughton only and I mean only misses to the left. I would say that is structural. Was it mental that Tory Dickson kicked around 80%.

The only current player who follows a set routine is Cody Weightman. He is also the only player who doesn't second guess himself on whether to kick straight, banana or snap. I bet it because he has done the work and knows which works best for him in each spot on the ground.

Compare that to Naughts or Jamarra, one minute its a set shot. They miss so next time there try a snap from the exact same spot. One shot Jamarra goes back 5 metres and trys to guide it, next time its a 10 metres following run up. You need a consistent routine, just like a golf drive. A constant repeatable swing of the golf club gets it done and its the same kicking a goal.
Don't tell me Naughts stats are good this year. He takes a lot of mark right in front and kicks them. Anything else from 30 plus out its 50/50 at best.
Have you watched our warm up kicking for goal. I encouraged you to do so this week. They miss heaps and again there is no structure to the practise, lets just kick balls around at goal like in little league.

I'm not convinced Naughts or Jamarra will ever be good shots at goal and that's a problem. Darcy although bad on the weekend, will be a good set shot as the basics are there.

Really. Is it mental that Naughton only and I mean only misses to the left. I would say that is structural. Was it mental that Tory Dickson kicked around 80%.

The only current player who follows a set routine is Cody Weightman. He is also the only player who doesn't second guess himself on whether to kick straight, banana or snap. I bet it because he has done the work and knows which works best for him in each spot on the ground.

Compare that to Naughts or Jamarra, one minute its a set shot. They miss so next time there try a snap from the exact same spot. One shot Jamarra goes back 5 metres and trys to guide it, next time its a 10 metres following run up. You need a consistent routine, just like a golf drive. A constant repeatable swing of the golf club gets it done and its the same kicking a goal.
Don't tell me Naughts stats are good this year. He takes a lot of mark right in front and kicks them. Anything else from 30 plus out its 50/50 at best.
Have you watched our warm up kicking for goal. I encouraged you to do so this week. They miss heaps and again there is no structure to the practise, lets just kick balls around at goal like in little league.

I'm not convinced Naughts or Jamarra will ever be good shots at goal and that's a problem. Darcy although bad on the weekend, will be a good set shot as the basics are there.
You solidified my point. They are mentally all over the shop. Practice, routine, consistency block eternal noise, confidence etc all mental.

I honestly fear what Xerri will do to English this week. He's going to be bullied into submission. The numbers he's been putting up are crazy and is the exact type of physical ruckman that Tim simply can't handle.

25 disposals?
15 contested possessions?
50 hitouts?
15 clearances?
10 tackles?
3 contested marks?
Xerri has been a revelation for North this season. He's aggressive, has the fitness to ruck for the entire game and his tackling is like having another midfielder in the contest. If English can get close to breaking even (assuming he's playing) then we should be OK around the stoppages. I won't hold my breath though.

Xerri has been a revelation for North this season. He's aggressive, has the fitness to ruck for the entire game and his tackling is like having another midfielder in the contest. If English can get close to breaking even (assuming he's playing) then we should be OK around the stoppages. I won't hold my breath though.
WC's ruck division is absolute trash and they beat Norf ..

Time to unleash the Buss I say, no better time than this week. He was very good yesterday as the third tall along side Keath/JOD and has earned his chance. The kid has a great balance of attack/defence and a load of footy smarts. He's Cofield and Khamis in one player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to unleash the Buss I say, no better time than this week. He was very good yesterday as the third tall along side Keath/JOD and has earned his chance. The kid has a great balance of attack/defence and a load of footy smarts. He's Cofield and Khamis in one player.
Keath was better, and JOD was just as good. Doubt we will see a first gamer debut in a must win knock out final. Sadly we will not see him this season.

The other two will likely come in before he does.

Bevo mentioned on 360 that English may not play. I'd say he's out.
Don't really like the idea of asking Darcy to go 1st ruck vs Xerri at this stage of his career and Lobb is still building chemistry with the backs.

Reckon we could give Lachie Smith a shot and just tell him to hit the contest hard

I think Freijah probably plays being the 23rd man on the weekend and travelling emergency, usually indicates they are close to selection.

If English is out I would go:

IN: Macrae, JOD, Freijah, Gallagher or Harmes (if fit)
Out: English, Khamis, VDM, Garcia

Caleb was decent when he came on and probably deserves a full game. A little harsh on Garcia but Macrae deserves a recall (Sanders too but tough to fit). Gallagher or Harmes to play the VDM role, Harmes might not be 100% fit but this would give him two full games before finals if he is best 22 for us.

Lobb to ruck with Darcy backup. Jones, JOD and Coff as the tall defenders, may be a little short so Keath might get a look in if we want another tall back. I wouldn't be too upset though if we back Bailey Williams or Coff to play on Teakle / Pink and exploit them with run.

Don't really like the idea of asking Darcy to go 1st ruck vs Xerri at this stage of his career and Lobb is still building chemistry with the backs.

Reckon we could give Lachie Smith a shot and just tell him to hit the contest hard
It's a tough one, Lobb playing well down back and building chemistry there with Jones, but I think he will have to go into the ruck if English is out. Xerri is too big and strong for 1st year Lachie. Seeing what Rhys Stanley did to him a few weeks back in the VFL, would legitimately be a blood bath against Xerri on Sunday....

Sounds like a job for Super Gards. You know y'all want it to happen ......

Gards actually played forward on the weekend. Shows how far down the order he is atm.
If English is out I think Gardner will be the one to come in, resulting in Big footy melting to the ground.
No way is Darcy or L.Smith ready to Ruck significant minutes against Xerri and Lobb is going to be persisted with in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes V North Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back